• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microtec - Brazilian XT - restorarion project

Glad it worked. Now, since you have DOS 6.22, run scandisk on it.
Code:
 SCANDISK A: /AUTOFIX /NOSAVE /SURFACE /MONO

If you get prompted for an undo disk, continue without it. (You won't need the undo for a blank floppy).
The summery at the end will give you a nice indication of how everything's working.
patscc

I'm doing that, it's working like a charm.
I did the same cleaning process with the other drive, and now it works. It's very interesting that the heads (both drives) wasn't never disassembled(I removed the ink seal on the screw), the entire drive wasn't never really touched. This computer is from 1986~1988...

Keep in mind that I when I bough this computer, the seller said it was a 386 or a 286. And the computer was into a wet place and hot place, surrounded by mouse nests. I still don't believe that the computer worked, and the Hard Drive (don't have auto park) was perfect...

I'm uploading some pics, take a look folks!

DSC05571.jpgDSC05549.jpgteclado.jpgprince.jpg

Last edited:
I'm having some trouble with EDIT.EXE, it hangs the computer. Anyone had this problem with any XT?

I'm having some trouble with EDIT.EXE, it hangs the computer. Anyone had this problem with any XT?
I've seen this on my 5155. Can't remember what caused it. I'll see if I can make it happen again.
I seem to remember that EDIT requires QBASIC to run. Is QBASIC in the current directory (or a directory listed in your path statement) when you call EDIT.EXE?

That's a neat looking clone. What's the game ? It looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.
Alternately, try running QBASIC and see if it loads. How much memory are you showing ?
If you need to just quickly edit a text file, you can use EDLIN, a bit of a pain, but in a pinch.
patscc

I've seen this on my 5155. Can't remember what caused it. I'll see if I can make it happen again.
I seem to remember that EDIT requires QBASIC to run. Is QBASIC in the current directory (or a directory listed in your path statement) when you call EDIT.EXE?

The Windows 95 and newer version of EDIT requires a NEC V20/V30 or 286 or higher processor. If you try to run it on an 8088 or 8086 it will hang the system.

The MS-DOS 6.22 and older version of EDIT requires QBASIC.EXE to run, and in fact EDIT.COM does nothing more than call QBASIC with the undocumented /EDCOM switch. Thus typing QBASIC /EDCOM (must be in all caps) will bring up the MS-DOS Editor.

Actually, why don't you try running edit /b
The /b forces edit to run in monochrome mode, and see what happens.

/EDCOM only came about with DOS 5.0

patscc

Tried edit/b, also hangs. Tried QBASIC works ok, /EDCOM brings the EDIT! Thanks!

Last edited:
That's a neat looking clone. What's the game ? It looks familiar, but I can't quite place it.
Alternately, try running QBASIC and see if it loads. How much memory are you showing ?
If you need to just quickly edit a text file, you can use EDLIN, a bit of a pain, but in a pinch.
patscc

The game is Prince of Persia! Runs great on turbo mode. MEM reports 736KB of conventional memory, dos uses 60KB, I have plenty of free memory :D!

I wondering if you have a corrupt copy of QBASIC. You ran SCANDISK earlier with out any trouble, right ?
Yeah, Prince of Persia, that's it!
Try running DOSSHELL and see what happens.'
Oh, and you might want to try chkdsk on the floppy edit and qbasic are on.
Oh, also, try everything you already tried with TURBO mode OFF.
patscc

Honestly, this DOS install is a real mess. I don't have any DOS in 5.25 disks, so I used a XT IDE with a hard drive from a 386 (installed dos 6.22 using 3.5 disks), then copied to the RLL hard drive, did a few things, and everything worked. Now that I have working 360K drives, I will put one drive on a 486, and make install disks from images. And thanks for the tip, I always test with TURBO OFF (and ON later xD).

Okay, then I wouldn't worry to much about it until you get a clean and coherent dos version together. At least in the meantime you can play Prince of Persia !
patscc

Yeah, I have more than 40 games in it!
By the way, does using TURBO ON does any harm? I have a 486 board that used to work ok with TURBO ON, but with time the board can't work with TURBO, everything hangs immediately.

Tried edit/b, also hangs. Tried QBASIC works ok, /EDCOM brings the EDIT! Thanks!

Then you probably have the Windows 95+ version of EDIT.COM. The DOS 5.x/6.x version is only a few hundred bytes, since all it does is call QBASIC, while the Windows 95+ version is 69 KB in size, since it is a complete program all by itself, and does not require QBASIC.EXE to run.

No, TURBO on doesn't really do any harm, some games might be odd; the suggestion was while we where still troubleshooting, now that the replies/posts and what not have all caught up, I've finally figured out what's going on, you should be all set.
patscc

Back