• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

386 machine FDD problem

And sometimes a jumper needs to be changed to switch between 'internal' and 'external' batteries.

batt_int_ext.jpg

So... I can use internal Ni-Mh istead of Ni-Cd?
In my country i can buy new Ni-Mh 80mAh 3.6v batteries. :)

Last edited:
So... I can use internal Ni-Mh istead of Ni-Cd?
In my country i can buy new Ni-Mh 80mAh 3.6v batteries. :)

Yes, they should be fine--the current draw on the typical clock battery is probably less than the self-discharge current (microamperes, usually). However, if this were my board, I'd just buy a 4xAA battery holder and stick some alkaline cells in it and use the external battery connector. 4 AA alkaline cells will run for years before needing replacement--and they're readily available and inexpensive.

It doesn't really matter--if you look at the circuitry used for an external (non-rechargeable) battery, at least 2 diode drops (~~1.4V) are involved. 6V gives you a bit more headroom on battery life, since most of these RTC chips are good down to about 2.2V. Max rated power supply voltage is about 7V.

Erm, i recently saw that 5.25 floppy drive leaves white scratch on floppy diskette. Can this be fixed?

If it truly is a scratch on the floppy, and not just a white smudge, then the floppy is toast. You'd have to open up the drive and look at the head assembly to see if it's a head torn loose, or what. Unless it's a really rare and special drive, probably not worth fixing.
patscc

It could be that the drive needs its heads cleaned, especially if this ‘scratch’ is circular near the circumference of the disk. This is ususlly caused by bad disks, not the drive itself. When old disks deteriorate the oxide coating tends to collect on the heads and this can cause a ring scratch on the disk. Cleaning the drive with a cleaning diskette will usually solve this problem.

I don't have cleaning diskette and can't buy one. Can I wipe heads using fine cloth? Can I use methyl alcohol? Should I use alcohol like 70% or 90%?

Last edited:
I used ethyl alcohol 70% and QTip to clean read/write heads.
It doesn't scratch disks now.

Cleaning diskettes sacked anyway. Nothing like opening the drive and cleaning it with some cotton and cleaning fluid. Alcohol can be used, although I also have used acetone without problems (assuming you keep it away from the plastic parts). The best cleaning fluid IMO however, is the one they use for cleaning the glasses (for the house doors, windows etc).

Erm, I cleaned it, read two disks and when I inserted third disk i heard squeal and I got scratch! Was this because of drive or disks? Help me!

Back