• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Please explain "multisync monitor" to me.

Neat, but it doesn't do VGA. It also (if you look at where the connector on the rear is) like someone hacked a regular generic VGA flatpanel.
patscc

generic486, do you guys have thrift stores and garage sales, fleamarkets and the like over there ?

OT, but I went to the Brownville flea market last weekend looking for a CRT. Not even a multisync or anything unusual, just a nice 19" CRT to replace my failing one. I didn't see any electronics at all. No VGA monitors, no CRT TVs, not a keyboard, or pong machine, not even a tray of NES games.

I did see one small box of Playstation 2 sports games. And there were several vendors with old cameras, and loads of VHS tapes. That's kind of in the ball park of collectable old tech. I can't figure out why not one of two hundred vendors had anything relevant. In any case, if you're in the area, avoid the Brownville flea market.

Agreed, but not all of them can handle the older 9-pin digital formats (MDA/CGA/EGA)
patscc

Totally agree. I didn't mean to imply that they did. Maybe using a VGA monitor was a bad example. I was trying to put the term multi-sync in historical perspective. They were a wonder at the time because they could synch to multiple frequencies. The older monitors would only synch to one frequency. The idea of a single frequency monitor is probably rather foreign to someone who's never used one.

OT, but I went to the Brownville flea market last weekend looking for a CRT. Not even a multisync or anything unusual, just a nice 19" CRT to replace my failing one. I didn't see any electronics at all. No VGA monitors, no CRT TVs, not a keyboard, or pong machine, not even a tray of NES games.

I did see one small box of Playstation 2 sports games. And there were several vendors with old cameras, and loads of VHS tapes. That's kind of in the ball park of collectable old tech. I can't figure out why not one of two hundred vendors had anything relevant. In any case, if you're in the area, avoid the Brownville flea market.

That is exactly what I see when I go to a flea market. I think I once saw a C64 but it was way overpriced. Since I seeing mostly machines from about 2000 being chucked, I can assume that it was common to find a late 80's PC back in 1999-2000. 12 years seems to be when people chuck the computers.

Back