• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Just listed fully working Sharp Pc 7000, how would I ship it?

sue uk

Hi Folks,
I've just listed a fully working Sharp PC7000 wth its original dos disks and manuals plus an office suite program and an astrology program for it, on the UK ebay. However, what I'd like to ask you, is, if I get a buyer from the USA, which carrier service would you guys trust to ship it, if you were the buyer? I don't want to risk it arriving anywhere not working, but have never needed to package and send a computer before :/
thanks
sue in uk
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180994311156?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

It really doesn't matter since you don't have any idea what outsourcing scheme the original shipping company will use to get it across the pond. Just insure it for its full value.

Nice of you to ask. I don't recall if I've ever ordered anything overseas before personally but all I would really do is pack it well or double box it (pack it so when they toss it up and down while ignoring the fragile stickers if any they can't do too much damage), add tracking information if that works (although I recall that stopping once it leaves the country?) and insurance and the buyer should be happy. Still if a buyer did mane an offer you could certainly ask them if they have a preferred courier or price a few.

Thank you very much all........ I know it can be insured, but it would be SUCH a shame for it to end up damaged........ being a woman I'm quite emotionally invested in it really :/ us women huh?!
My first computer was a Sinclair ZX81 ...sheeshhhh...going back some there......through the gamut of Spectrum 32 & 64, then the Sharp portable, and Amstrad desktop, Viglen desktop, Mitac palm, then a whole host of laptops and now iPads. Still have the Mitac handheld in working order..and a MINT Toshiba Libretto.....
And as for operating systems.... lol.... the shrill noise of loading from a casette tape for the joy of playing ping pong in black and white....
and having to learn to use Linux, and file sharing before the web existed..ha! And having to load your Dos everytime u booted up before you could load any other programme....
No I can't design a computer game, or even remember how to write those sweet little quirky Dos programmes anymore.... but over 31 years I've experienced computers :)

printers

printers

oooooohhh and did I mention printers.....they're the bane of my life!! It all went downhill with my first dot matrix and pesky ASCII codes and to this day me and printers just ain't friendly with each other ...... what does a girl have to do to get one that doesn't jam up, doesn't feed ten sheets through at a time instead of one, doesn't leak ink, has more than 5 ml ink in a cartridge.....doesn't automatically do a head clean every time u turn it on, lets you properly store yur printng prefernces so u don't have to fiddle on every blinking time...... maybe I'm just a tad demanding.....but if I've paid £299 for an Epson Claria six ink system all singing but as it turns out, no dancing printer...i EXPECT it NOT to drive me nuts..... *SIGH*

lol sounds like you should hang out here with the rest of us. We always love hearing folks reminisce and I think we all here have some emotional attachment to our beloved classics so you're not at all alone there. We're like one big happy hoarding support group j/k. That sharp portable is pretty cool and wish you luck finding a nice home for it. I love the uniqueness of the design. At first it looked like it might be like a Compaq Portable III or like the IBM P70 but the more I saw the more unique it appears. Two 5.25s in the side?

Out of curiosity what led you to the Sharp as a purchase back then?

Ah well Sir....... he he....... its looks if you know what I mean ;)
I'm a sucker for good design in anything! And of course anything that looks like a Ladies handbag ........ lol
I wanted a portable, and at the time, if my memory serves me right, I think the only other thing around in the UK was the Amstrad portable which was UGLY and clunky. It's kinda very British in style I think..... there's a simple clean line to it, an understated elegance, even though it's chunky and heavy, which sounds typically like a bit of female paradoxical thinking....hhhmmmm...sort of the iPad of its time.
And I just LOVE computors.....as well as an iPad 1, iPad 2, 2x iPhone 3gs, an iTouch, iShuffle, 1st gen apple TV, I've got four laptops, and the Toshiba Libretto, the Mitac....various bits kit like 2x Sony Clie, ..ummmmmm.....ummmmm. a Palm, ummm....3x Psions including a 3c......
various misclellaneous electronic cameras, and various gizmooooooos
.....u see.......when your don't have a man to answer toooooooo..and the money you earn is our own........
and you don't have a penchant for frilly frocks of Jimmy Chou shoooes.....
you can buy what you bloody well want.....
:D
oh and I like cars....... the Bugatti Veyron sort
:D

Nothing wrong with clean design. There was a thread here a few months back on a gnarly French video terminal, and the Lear-Siegler ADM 3 & 5's are kinda organically sexy, at least for a terminal.
sue uk said
doesn't leak ink, has more than 5 ml ink in a cartridge
You forgot dries out. I switched to laser for precisely that reason. Just got fed up with cheapo inket mechanisms.
Or maybe, if you're in a vintage mood, switch to a nice,old-fashioned drum printer, like this one:
Drum%20Printer.jpg

pacc

blimeyyyy... I could live in one that big!
Imagine giving that one house room.... especially in the UK!

(trailing off topic as we all do so well), I was going to also recommend an old laserjet as a solution. Not all that expensive if they're old, you can get a business class one BUT if parts fail they typically run about the same price as the entire obsolete printer. I had an HP laserjet 4p when I got tired of the ink drying out trick that all my previous inkjet's had (I print something out maybe once or twice a year). The toner since it's powder obviously doesn't dry up, but the less you use a laser printer the worse the rubber dries out and then you still get the neat little grabbing of multiple pages after a while. Then I was trying to troubleshoot mine and found it cheaper to buy a second one with toner left than any parts. I never could get the stupid network card (optional card you install) on the network though which bugged me since it was the entire point. Then I upgraded my motherboard on my main system and found it didn't have a parallel port anymore. I suppose you could just go completely vintage and go back to good old dot matrix. One page with the tractor feed paper and keep the ribbon in some sort of holder so it doesn't dry out?

As far as not having a man to answer to and budget, enjoy that while ya can! The budget and approval process just get more and more difficult after the fact. Then you end up having to deal with the nonsensical why is there a computer in X room, etc and "that's not a piece of furniture!" when it CLEARLY has a formica top and should be an acceptable living room item.

Last edited:
If you can get your hands on "Rubber Roller/Idler Revitalizer" ( RatShack ) used to (maybe still does) or platten renewer, and periodically give it a wipe, it'll last a lot longer :)
I completely agree, I don't have a man to answer to, either, and that's fantastic. Of course, since I'm married, the Wife has a say or three, and has a very clear sense of what furniture is and what isn't. Things with cords to them are typically not furniture, and if they somehow don't fall into that category of having wires, it's automatically non-furniture or just-plain-junk.
patscc

I was going to suggest switching to an old laser printer but somebody beat me to it. I actually have two connected to the PCs that I run, a compact HP 6L for monochrome, and a HP Color 4550.

I use the snot out of the little 6L, and get 8-10K out of original HP cartridges that I get from swapmeets and a off eBay (I don't pay more than $10-$15 per original new cartridge). Replacement roller kits cost about $6-$10 from a Seller I found on eBay, they last about 50K copies, and take about 15-20 minutes to install. Every version of Windows has included the drivers for both printers, since government agencies bought so many of these models.

The HP 4550 color printer costs more to run since it's bigger, and there are more expendables to replace when the time comes (4) toners, drum, and developer, but I don't print that much color, the printer is always ready to go, and I also get replacement parts from swapmeets (original HP toners are $15-$25 now, and the drums and developers run $40-$75 each). Replacement roller kits are also a lot more expensive.

Most HP Lasers have open expansion slots and you can get different I/O boards that plug-in. I'm not a network guy either, but I got an HP Ethernet card working, along with a HP USB card. The USB cards are more expensive on eBay, and bidding is fierce as there are fewer of them available, but they are a snap to get running after you get one.

Older HP Laser Printers are less expensive to run because there is less competition for new HP Toner cartridges (I only recommend new HP cartridges as they really are higher quality than refills and clones). I have also cured problems on many HP lasers just be getting rid of the refill and clone cartridges that they came into the shop with. The older Hp laser printers can also printer till the toner cartridges are empty, while the newer ones have gone to the stupid counter chips that shut down the printer when the designed number of copies have been printed (just like inkjet printers). Replacement counting chips are available on eBay to rehab toner cartridges with counter chips that have run out (or for installing on refill cartridges which I don't recommend).

I have a number of newer monochrome and color laser printers here (I service and sell used HP laser printers as well as use them), but I can't make myself give up the older ones (toner cartridges for the older ones are less expensive for the reasons listed above, and the cartridges are rated to print more copies than the newer models). But the newer models are more attractive, lighter, and smaller in size.

Actually, on some of the older Cannon-based engines, you can get pretty good results refilling the carts with good quality copy machine toner, the stuff that comes in the nice long tube. If you're well-liked by your maint. folks, they can often let a 1/4 or so full one they're replacing at your work slide your way.
patscc

Back