• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Fat32 driver for MS-DOS 6.22

marcoguy

Experienced Member
Anybody got a driver that allows fat32 read/write from DOS 6.22? Google didn't turn up with much and it would be really useful to be able to access fat32 partitions in DOS.

You can use DRFAT32, which is a redirector for FAT32 access--about the only way it can be done in versions of DOS earlier than 7.10. It's probably on the web--warning: it's a pig for memory and a little buggy.

I think you will find it easier to just switch to a 32bit FS. Try MS-DOS 7.1, PC DOS 7.10, DR-DOS 7.06 or later. Also the reportedly excellent PTS DOS is native 32 bit. Of course there's always good ol' FreeDOS. You may also be interested in DOSLFN.

I have to use MS-DOS 6.22, as I am actually working on a project right now where I am rewriting the original MS-DOS 6.22 installer, giving the user more control over the installation, and allowing it to install from a CD. I want to have the install program install a fat32 driver, but I think LFN might be all I can get without using up too much memory. I'll check out DOSLFN and SHSUCDX soon. Thanks for the useful LFN driver, though.

Last edited:
I'll save you some time--DOSLFN is not a device driver for FAT32--it merely supplies the extra DOS API calls for long filenames. So, while you can load it under DOS 6.22, it still won't allow you to look at FAT32 volumes, because there's no support in DOS 6.22 for FAT32. DOS 7.10+ does have support for FAT32 partitions, but doesn't include the long name APIs.

DRFAT32 gets around the problem by functioning as a (network) redirector, somewhat akin to MSCDEX. That means that you can manipulate files, but not do an FDISK or FORMAT from DOS 6.22 on a FAT32 drive.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Thank you for the clarification. I know DOSLFN isn't a FAT32 driver, it's just useful.

On a related topic, does anyone know offhand why MS-DOS 7.10 with DOSLFN doesn't provide long filenames under DOSEMU (Linux), but does using FeeDOS? Can long filenames be supported in DOSEMU using MS-DOS 7.10 and DOSLFN? FreeDOS is a bit buggy and prone to just exit on directory crawls.

The last version of IMS REAL/32 supports booting from cd installation, Fat32 support as well as native zip drive support. Also has multi user support if you want to use it.

Last edited:
Can you get around that by using say MEs(MS Dos 8 ) FDISK and FORMAT tools and SETVER?
I boot from my ME Startup disk any time I need to access a large HD that DOS 6.22 can't handle. Of course you need to do this on a machine that doesn't have a BIOS limitation that would stymie you as well. :)

Well, the DOS from Win95 OSR2 would accomplish the same thing. ME is still a stinking steaming pile IMOHO.
By all accounts MEs FDISK and FORMAT commands deals with larger Fat32 formatted drives better than Win95/98s commands do. There's plenty of forum discussions regarding this. There's a few readily available customised boot disks and an option for those that don't do Linux.

Can't have too many tools in the tool kit ah?

Wonder if anyone has made a bare bones MS Dos 8 system. Would be an interesting project to compare with a current stand alone FreeDos system.

Last edited:
I'd be interesting to see how it works out. As they say "It's worth a crack Nigel" Just beware of mean in black holding shiny silver pen like objects ;)

Now you've given me a wicked idea. How about pairing this MS DOS 8 with an XTIDE? Might be interesting... running ME's DOS on an XT.
I think MS-DOS 7.0 and later checks for a 386 and fails to boot if not present. I bet there is a lot of 386 instructions in DOS 7.1's FAT32 code.

Back