• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

There is not enough room in memory for...

Chris_in_Japan

Experienced Member
Hello to all!

First day in the forum and the second question already... Sorry, folks!

I have a Macintosh 128K that seems to work fine with the following exception:

Once I am inserting the disc with Paint and I launch the program, the message "There is not enough room in memory for MacPaint" pops out systematically!

MacWrite and all the small other programs from the system discs work just fine. Just MacPaint is failing.

I do not have unfortunately any other program and/or diagnose software to allow me to easily check nothing...

My mechanical engineering approach (please do not laugh) was that maybe in my memory bank I have some chips dead and in this way low memory demanding SW would work fine but heavier ones not. I have no clue - just thinking loud!

There is anything I can check/perform in the machine with what I have today to narrow the search for the root cause?

I procured a second MacPaint with the hope I had a corrupted one but unfortunately the same failure mode arises...

Hoping to find some light at the end of the tunnel!

Let me know please if you have any suggestion.

Many thanks in advance!

Kind regards.

Chris.

What version of MacPaint are you trying to run?

Remember the 128 is a bleeding edge machine so there's a lot of software that will work on the later 512 and Plus that simply won't work on the 128 because it has essentially no ram.

What version of MacPaint are you trying to run?

Remember the 128 is a bleeding edge machine so there's a lot of software that will work on the later 512 and Plus that simply won't work on the 128 because it has essentially no ram.

Yes, I was thinking the same. Perhaps you have a later version of the software designed for the Mac 512/Mac Plus?

Tez

thanks, guys. i am checking this now. no chance to verify the macpaint version since it is not even starting. i yes do know that i got this macpaint together with a macwrite version 2.20. this macwrite is working fine - not the macpaint under the error message stated above. the additional check i did is looking the file size of the macpaint in the finder: 60416 bytes...

can you tell out of this if this version is not fitting in the 128?

thanks again!!

i found out in wiki that a macwrite 2.2 shared the package with macpaint 1.4 and these with the system files 1.1... if i understood properly these releases should run on the 128k... could i have a partially dead memory bank? how can i inquire the system for the amount available memory? would the mac detect such a problem during the booting process? any kind of self diagnose?

mmh... let's change the question! did somebody ever got in a 128k the error message "there is not enough room in memory fox XXX"? if positive with which software and was a root cause found for it?

thanks, again!

I'm not a Mac user but I do think you might be running into exactly what it means. Some OSes can say that if the executable/bin is corrupt but I'm guessing your Mac really doesn't have enough RAM to run the program. What version of MacOS are you running? Google should help you find where the RAM or available RAM is for that version of OS. Your other possibility could be correct too if there's a faulty bank perhaps it's coming up short but you're on one of the earliest Mac systems so compatibility/resources issues are to be expected. Sorta the irony of having the leet first edition systems ;-)

I thought that most memory bank failures give rise to a Sad Mac. There is a way of forcing the memory check with the interrupt button but check your manual for that. I don't want to give out incorrect information.

Do you have any loaded Desk Accessories? It doesn't take much to overwhelm a 128k Mac.

If the information I have on version numbers is correct, MacPaint 1.4 was released with the 512k Mac. Try to find a 1.3 version of MacPaint.

I thought that most memory bank failures give rise to a Sad Mac. There is a way of forcing the memory check with the interrupt button but check your manual for that. I don't want to give out incorrect information.

Do you have any loaded Desk Accessories? It doesn't take much to overwhelm a 128k Mac.

If the information I have on version numbers is correct, MacPaint 1.4 was released with the 512k Mac. Try to find a 1.3 version of MacPaint.

aha! that would certainly a solid argumentation... terribly difficult however to get specific macwrite/macpaint versions i believe but i will keep eyes open!

thanks for the hints!

before opening macpaint

select macpaint
command + I (get info)

in the popup
> memory
set amount to the minimum

btw, how is this interrupt button working? how to press it, when and what should i read? thanx!

before opening macpaint

select macpaint
command + I (get info)

in the popup
> memory

ow! sounds like a cool trick! i will certainly try this and report back some numbers...

in the meantime i switched it on while pressing the programmer's switch and the sad mac gives the code 0f000d which i understood is not revealing any problem. did i this right?

before opening macpaint

select macpaint
command + I (get info)

in the popup
> memory

hi applefreak!

I am afraid i may have not fully understood - what do you mean with "memory - set amount to the minimum"? What exactly I have to do?

The window pops up indeed with information (MacPaint/Application/60416 bytes/Jan.24.1984) and a blank space where to write... what is this space for? just for notes? do I have to enter a command there?

Please let me know and many thanks!!!

Hi there.

I am re-launching the thread with the hope to find some new ideas to see if I can solve my "There is not enough room in memory for Mac Paint"...

I have checked following so far,

- The version of Mac Paint I have is an early one and accordingly expected to run properly in the Mac 128k (the Mac Write that belongs to this Mac Paint works fine)

- I pressed the programmer's switch while booting and the sad mac is just showing the code 0F000D that I understand just means that the programmer's switch has been pressed... A strange sequence of dots and lines runs below the code and just stays like that. I was expecting some kind of internal testing to conclude and show some other code with a potential problem in RAM or whatsoever but nothing happens (at least after 30 minutes). Just the 0F000D... Am I using the programmer's switch properly?

Any ideas what would cause the Mac to run the Mac Write but not the Mac Paint?

Many thanks!!

Anyone know how to fix this problem, I'm getting it too!

Thanks,

We need applefreak back. His post was promising however not fully understood (by me!).

Happy you joined the "team" - I realize that the community for Apple is considerably (and understandably) smaller!

Hopefully we get some help...

Have you thought about posting on http://www.applefritter.com/forum ? That's a more Apple centric collector forum. I'm sure a lot of folks here are there too but at least you'd be in the Apple specific fan group :) I know a lot of us are probably guessing at your predicament but it looked like the general consensus was either bad RAM or a version that was higher than your specs allow. Unfortunately I don't use Macs and don't really have the gear to help.

Usually when you Get Info on a program, there is a spot where you can change the amount of memory to which an application has access. I'm not sure what version of Mac OS you have, but it should look similar to the following:

View attachment 11242

At the very bottom, increase the value a few kilobytes.

I thought the Memory Size boxes started with MultiFinder which won't run on a 128kB Mac and none of the variations of the Mac OS I have available have a minimize option. Hopefully, applefreak will return and provide more detail.

If what I remember is correct, MacPaint 1.4 has a default assigned memory size of 384k under MultiFinder. I checked after the previous round of comments but deferred to the more experienced Mac users.

Solutions:
1) Get a disk that was intended for a 128k Mac and see if that works.
2) Track down a forum that specializes in early Mac software and hope for more help there.
3) Do what many Mac owners did 25+ years ago: upgrade the memory to 512k. This also corrects any issues from bad memory chips.

Back