• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My IBM 5162 Husk...

TheLazy1

Experienced Member
I've mentioned before about not letting anyone move your stuff, and it's still true to this day.
I'm going to assume that the cover to my IBM 5162 was placed outside by someone and likely picked up by scrap metal guys at some point.

Now... What should I do with it?
Last I checked it still works, but without the cover is it even worth anything to someone?

As much as I'd love to keep my first PC I just don't have the space to keep something that I cannot reasonably rebuild.
Any thoughts?

Maybe throw the chassis+mb+drives on ebay?
Just the motherboard?

Put up the whole thing for sale cheap. Someone will take it as the cover is compatible w/ a STD 5150/5160 so not hard to replace. It won't be perfect and won't bring in the big bucks but should be worth $100-$150 plus S&H...

I fully agree with Shadow Lord. Although it may be missing the cover, there are enough of us out there who would jump at the chance to buy one and hope to find an original case top later. But for now, what shape is everything else in? Are there any hard drives? Do they work?

If you don't want to sell for too much, please put me down for dibs. I'll see what I can do to find a case for it, plus I'm also building another XT computer soon, so it will come in handy.

I've mentioned before about not letting anyone move your stuff, and it's still true to this day.
I'm going to assume that the cover to my IBM 5162 was placed outside by someone and likely picked up by scrap metal guys at some point.

Now... What should I do with it?
Last I checked it still works, but without the cover is it even worth anything to someone?

As much as I'd love to keep my first PC I just don't have the space to keep something that I cannot reasonably rebuild.
Any thoughts?

Maybe throw the chassis+mb+drives on ebay?
Just the motherboard?

I might be able to find the original drives, I think one was 360k and the other 1.2MB which the former was replaced with a 1.44MB drive.
The hard drive was replaced at one point with a 40MB IDE Miniscribe drive which is still kicking around, but is missing the black cover plate.

Somewhere I have the Hercules mono card it came with too.

Taking this private...

I might be able to find the original drives, I think one was 360k and the other 1.2MB which the former was replaced with a 1.44MB drive.
The hard drive was replaced at one point with a 40MB IDE Miniscribe drive which is still kicking around, but is missing the black cover plate.

Somewhere I have the Hercules mono card it came with too.

Great. But do the rest of us need an explicit notification?

This is just as bad as PM sent ...

(grrr)

Yes/No. This has been a pet peeve of mine with the default settings of the board. When you join PM notifications are off by default. That is:

X Don't receive Email Notification of new Private Messages

New Private Message Notification Pop-up: Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up
X Don't show New Private Message Notification Pop-up

For example I have a PM out to member who contacted me initially that has not been responded to. My guess is he doesn't know he has a response because 1. He has not logged back in and 2. there is no indication to him that I responded.

It wasn't until I was active for a while in the forums that I noticed the problem and changed my settings. Until then I kept ignoring PMs because I did not look up to the top of the page to see if I had waiting messages :rolleyes:

I think that is why you see most of these "PM Sent" type postings: to alert the other party to expect a PM. Perhaps if the default behavior of the message board is changed then these messages would disappear on their own.

Again mbbrutman, my apologies go out to you our illustrious moderator. But Shadow Lord answered my concerns to your reply pretty well; better than I would have, or could have done, myself. I routinely reply to someone via PM, but because they don't have email notifications turned on, and/or they don't log onto the forums for several days or more, my replies are ignored. I can't fault the OP or the person whose comment caused me to go private just because they haven't seen my reply. They have to at least been shown that a reply exists before it is truly ignored.

Replying to the thread by stating "Taking this private" or "PM sent", does the same thing for the OP as an email. It lets them know they have a private message waiting in reply to their post, or comment within a thread. I have also sent out a message like this to indicate that I will be taking some sort of action in regards to an item. In this case, the expansion unit, and possibly a 5160 PC. If someone else wants to jump in and make an other offer for the same items, so be it. At least they know that someone else is already interested.

One thing I have found with the people in this group is that once someone speaks up for something, we can typically be assured he/she will have the first option and opportunity to buy without getting into a bidding war. Another thing that should probably be addressed here too then, is that most of those I inform in this manner actually look for something like this to alert them of a private conversation. Of those, most have responded positively, and also expressed their gratitude for letting them know of the PM so they don't begin answering some question or other concern if they have an offer for the item they're talking about. I have had very few people , and I won't send them a message like the one posted in this thread. Newbies are always thankful for the notification.

mbbrutman, I in no way want to cause any problems. And yet, it seems that I'm the only one who usually rattles your chains. I do apologize for that. At the same time, if you want all of the messages like these to stop, maybe it's time to send something out to the entire member group reminding, or advising them to stop making this type of messages or replying in this manner. With that in mind, do you have another suggestion as to how we would properly handle going private, or to somehow notify the OP that we have done so?

Sorry to turn this response into a novel. But I hope it clarifies some peoples thoughts, and why others do or don't do things in a prescribed manner. Again mbbrutman; you do a great job of moderating these forums. I only hope you continue providing this service to all users of the forums for years to come.

Cheers!

Great. But do the rest of us need an explicit notification?

This is just as bad as PM sent ...

(grrr)

Some updates:

- Boots!
- PSU Needs to be re-capped :( Tested using a separate AT PSU instead

Picture set #1: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/96477700/5162.zip
Picture set #2: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/96477700/5162 2.zip
Boot video: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/96477700/5162 boot.mp4

It does appear that a battery which was affixed to the PSU leaked through and started a bit of rust/corrosion on the metal.
This has not (yet) spread to the inside, luckily.

I just have to see if I can find the drives that it came with, but I don't think I have anything to completely cover both bays.

Is the best course of action to leave it as is, remove the (temporary) drives and ebay it as-is?

The more original the better IMHO. But it all depends on how much work you want to put into it. Also the non-working PSU drops the value....

The more original the better IMHO. But it all depends on how much work you want to put into it. Also the non-working PSU drops the value....

I see, that would be a problem then since I'm low on funds.
I guess it's better to rebuild it a bit more into a complete working state first.

Let's hope I can find a full height HDD bay cover and the original drives.
:p

Back