• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The Mystery Tandy 1000 Model

Great Hierophant

Veteran Member
If you take a look at all the Tandy 1000 models, you see that there are some model numbers very close to each other :

Code:
Computer    Catalog Number
1000        25-1000
1000A       25-1000A
1000HD      25-1001
1000EX      25-1050
1000HX      25-1053
1000RL      25-1450
1000RL-HD   25-1451
1000RLX     25-1452
1000RLX     25-1453B
1000RLX-HD  25-1453
1000RLX-HD  25-1453B
1000RSX     25-1455
1000RSX-HD  25-1454
1000SL      25-1401
1000SL/2    25-1402
1000SX      25-1051
1000SX      25-1052
1000SX      25-1054
1000TL      25-1601
1000TL/2    25-1602
1000TL/3    25-1603
1000TX      25-1600

The differences between the 1000 and 1000A are entirely internal with some obvious ones, the latter has a socket for a math coprocessor, and some not so obvious, technical issues fixed and newer BIOS rom that scans for ROM extensions on expansion cards (bootable hard disks!). The 1000HD probably looks identical to the 1000/1000A on the front except that one of the bays has an LED instead of a filler faceplate. Tandy would increment hard drive models by 1 for the RL, RLX and RSX. The RLX has DOS 3.3 in ROM while the RLX "B" models have DOS 5.0 in ROM. For the SX, the 25-1051 designated a two drive floppy system while the 1052 designated a one drive floppy system.

As far as the 25-1054 goes, there does not seem to be anything specific to this model that would set it apart from the other 1000SXes. There is no indication that that a RAM or hard drive upgrade is part of this model, and it seems it has 2x360KB drives. Does anyone have more information? Could this be the mythical AX, a rebranded SX which was sold in non-Radio Shack stores (Wal-Mart I believe.)

Last edited:
As far as the 25-1054 goes, there does not seem to be anything specific to this model that would set it apart from the other 1000SXes. There is no indication that that a RAM or hard drive upgrade is part of this model, and it seems it has 2x360KB drives. Does anyone have more information? Could this be the mythical AX, a rebranded SX which was sold in non-Radio Shack stores (Wal-Mart I believe.)
I have seen an AX once on EBay. Did not buy it, did not note the model number.
Tandy manufactured a lot of custom catalog numbers for stuff like schools, distribution to stores and other custom projects. My guess is that if falls into one of these groups.

I have seen an AX once on EBay. Did not buy it, did not note the model number.
Tandy manufactured a lot of custom catalog numbers for stuff like schools, distribution to stores and other custom projects. My guess is that if falls into one of these groups.

The Tandy 1000 Tech Notes and Jumpers manual Vol 1 also mentions the 1000PC, which was similar to the 1000SL. But the SL has only one model number.

The Tandy 1000 Tech Notes and Jumpers manual Vol 1 also mentions the 1000PC, which was similar to the 1000SL. But the SL has only one model number.

Hope it's not a big deal to drag up an old topic...but I think it's a discussion worth adding to.

I was most likely the one to snag the mythical AX on ebay. Photos and comparisons to the SX can be found here - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/1000ax/ And you can compare to the identical SX here - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/1000sx/ I can also provide some links about the AX being an SX re-badge and being test marketed in 50 Wal-Mart stores if anyone is interested...or you can find them by Google searching like I did... Lastly, there is no 25- model number like the "real" Tandy's had...

Does anyone have any more info about this "1000PC"? I've seen it mentioned on the Oldskool web site...and very recently found a PC-1000 (no Tandy name) on ebay and picked it up too. I can only assume it is the same as the PC1000 that has been noted. The 1000PC is said to be an SL clone, and the PC-1000 that I found is definitely an SL. Have a look here - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/pc1000/ or at SL photos here - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/1000sl/ The back name plate of the PC-1000 notes that it is custom manufactured by Tandy...but no other brand names noted.

Any chance of getting a scan/photo of the page from the Tech Notes/Jumpers manual?

Thanks,

Wesley

You have an awesome 1000 collection there! Its literally eye-opening to see these two odd ducks of the 1000 family. So the AX is just an SX with a case label rebadge. Wherever the PC-1000 was sold presumably wanted to avoid as much association with Tandy as possible, hence the front case reworking. I would say with 99% certainty that it is the same system as the 1000PC the Tech Ref and Jumpers Manual refers to. I hope you fill the rest of your album.

Hope it's not a big deal to drag up an old topic...but I think it's a discussion worth adding to.

I was most likely the one to snag the mythical AX on ebay. Photos and comparisons to the SX can be found here - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/1000ax/ And you can compare to the identical SX here - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/1000sx/ I can also provide some links about the AX being an SX re-badge and being test marketed in 50 Wal-Mart stores if anyone is interested...or you can find them by Google searching like I did... Lastly, there is no 25- model number like the "real" Tandy's had...

Does anyone have any more info about this "1000PC"? I've seen it mentioned on the Oldskool web site...and very recently found a PC-1000 (no Tandy name) on ebay and picked it up too. I can only assume it is the same as the PC1000 that has been noted. The 1000PC is said to be an SL clone, and the PC-1000 that I found is definitely an SL. Have a look here - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/pc1000/ or at SL photos here - http://www.megley.com/photos/tandy/1000sl/ The back name plate of the PC-1000 notes that it is custom manufactured by Tandy...but no other brand names noted.

Any chance of getting a scan/photo of the page from the Tech Notes/Jumpers manual?

Thanks,

Wesley

Thanks! I'm quite proud of it...though most happy to have been able to acquire the two rarities. It is quite an interesting mystery on the PC-1000...hopefully someone will have some further insight some day. I asked the seller if he knew anything of the history, and he said he had gotten it from someone whose grandfather than run a computer sales/repair shop...so hard to say. I did find a few articles on the internet referencing associations between Tandy and Panasonic, DEC, JC Penny, and American Express...so my best guess is it came out of one of those relationships...though the first two surely would have wanted their name on the front panel!

I've also got a limited collection of non-1000 models...will have to get them posted sometime too. I've got a 1200, 3000 HD and HL, 4000, and (I think) 2400 or something like that. Assuming I'm not forgetting anything...

Thanks,

Wesley

You have an awesome 1000 collection there! Its literally eye-opening to see these two odd ducks of the 1000 family. So the AX is just an SX with a case label rebadge. Wherever the PC-1000 was sold presumably wanted to avoid as much association with Tandy as possible, hence the front case reworking. I would say with 99% certainty that it is the same system as the 1000PC the Tech Ref and Jumpers Manual refers to. I hope you fill the rest of your album.

Value of a Tandy 1000 AX?

Value of a Tandy 1000 AX?

I'm in the process of moving and found a Tandy 1000 AX in my collection of stuff. I'm too busy to mess with putting it on eBay right now. I really don't want to move this with me unless it has any real value. I understand it's quite rare but that doesn't necessarily mean valuable... Any idea what it might be worth? I'm thinking I might put it on Craigslist and see if there is any interest. All I have is the CPU - no monitor, keyboard, etc.

Last edited:
The differences between the 1000 and 1000A are entirely internal with some obvious ones, the latter has a socket for a math coprocessor, and some not so obvious, technical issues fixed and newer BIOS rom that scans for ROM extensions on expansion cards (bootable hard disks!).
That last part is not true. I have an original Tandy 1000, with ROM version 01.00.00 dated 1984, and it works perfectly with XT hard drive controllers like the Seagate ST-11M/R. Right after the memory check, it starts the hard drive controller's ROM -- still in 40-column mode, so it looks a bit messy on the screen, but it works!

I remember the 1000 AX, it was made by Tandy, for a test market, in Walmart or other discount stores.
I worked/managed Radio Shack stores from the early 80's until about 1992. We didn't like the 1000 AX.

Our store was in a strip mall and at the end was a Walmart. Customers would come into the Shack and
pick our brains, then run down and buy the AX. After the sale they would come to us for support, but
rarely would buy products and upgrades. Back then, computer sales were our bread and butter so most
of my sales guys didn't like a lost sale to Walmart. Thankfully it didn't last for very long...

That last part is not true. I have an original Tandy 1000, with ROM version 01.00.00 dated 1984, and it works perfectly with XT hard drive controllers like the Seagate ST-11M/R. Right after the memory check, it starts the hard drive controller's ROM -- still in 40-column mode, so it looks a bit messy on the screen, but it works!

I stand corrected. Further info : the Tandy 1000 FAQ has the details. The ADP-50L w/2.18T will allow a drive to boot in an original 1000, as well as the Acculogic 1/16 with the IRQ trace re-routed. Apparently the BIOS on your Seagate controller compensates for the DMA issue with BIOS 01.00.00.

I remember the 1000 AX, it was made by Tandy, for a test market, in Walmart or other discount stores.
I worked/managed Radio Shack stores from the early 80's until about 1992. We didn't like the 1000 AX.

Our store was in a strip mall and at the end was a Walmart. Customers would come into the Shack and
pick our brains, then run down and buy the AX. After the sale they would come to us for support, but
rarely would buy products and upgrades. Back then, computer sales were our bread and butter so most
of my sales guys didn't like a lost sale to Walmart. Thankfully it didn't last for very long...

Very valuable insight. Did Wal-Mart shave $100 off the price or have a nice monitor/printer bundle?

It seems like a strange idea for Tandy to try to sell the 1000 series at other retailers, because compared to normal PC clones (like Tandy's own XT-clone 1200HD), the 1000 series was very much proprietary and was designed to rely upon Radio Shack's own peripherals, accessories, and parts for upgrades and repairs. Even something as simple as a printer cable was a special type that the other retailer would need to stock alongside the generic IBM/clone equivalent.

You're right about the printer 1000 series printer cable. The keyboard and joy stick was sort of out in left field too. However, you could throw just about any short 8-bit card in the thing and expect it to work, including EGA & VGA. So I wouldn't classify it as strictly proprietary in the same vein as the Micro Channel.

I want to know the BIOS version of Tandy 1000AX.
01.02.00 or other?

Sorry I've not gotten back with you on your requests for BIOS info. Most of my Tandy's are (unfortunately) stored in an outside shed at the moment. Once the weather breaks just a little bit more, I'll see what I can do about getting the info you are asking for. Please shoot me a PM with exactly what you are looking for and how to get it (and for what models you want it from) and I'll see what I can do...

Wesley

?.......The differences between the 1000 and 1000A are entirely internal with some obvious ones, the latter has a socket for a math coprocessor, and some not so obvious, technical issues fixed and newer BIOS rom that scans for ROM extensions on expansion cards (bootable hard disks!). .........

I can guarantee that you DO NOT need a 1000A or the 01.01.00 BIOS to boot from a HDD, I have both machines.

Internally the main differences are that the A only has a double sided PCB and not multilayer whilst GAL's were employed to reduce the chip count and board complexity.

Back