• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Super Rare Steve Stax Red Sea Crossing Atari Game Record Price $13,877.78

How was it "not discovered until 2007"? Obviously the guy selling it at his garage sale in 2007 knew that he owned it for years before that...

How was it "not discovered until 2007"? Obviously the guy selling it at his garage sale in 2007 knew that he owned it for years before that...
Why would he know? Likely it was there in a box of old toys from his kid years ago, or it was in a box from the neighbour. Also, if you have a lot of stuff like me, you might not even unpack some boxes for 30 years, and may not know where they all came from. Different lifestyles . . . :)

Regardless, somebody knew about it before then...it didn't materialize in 2007 :p

The planet where somehow or other rarity has become the one and only determining factor of value...:-|

But only rarity of extremely popular and well known things. Not just rarity, because one wants to brag to as many people as possible. I have lots of rare but unpopular stuff, so there is no point in talking to anybody about it - so no bragging points. :(

Would be nice if the buyer dumped ths ROM in this cart, I know about the copyright troubles, but for historical purposes, if this cart have high value, then a backup would be nice.

I have been somewhat recently to a "Too Many Games" convention, where they buy and sell vintage gaming stuff. They are pretty big in the Philadelphia area. There were a lot of people trading carts for the 2600 amongst everything else, it's a very big deal to this dedicated group. While waiting to get in I was talking to a guy who brought some of his marquis 2600 carts to display and he was going on and on about it. I can see how there could be the "Apple I of the Atari 2600 world" if there were a lot of fanatical collectors like the guy I met in line. I just don't get it myself, but a community that supports itself is a great thing, and it's not my place given my/our hobby to say anything about it, eh? With this added disclaimer, still think it's a hefty fee to pay for a game cart. I ask myself what vintage computer I would be willing to pay $14,000 for...or baseball card, or even VW Bug...not too many that I could turn around and resell for about that same amount within a month. So more power to the guy who bought it, he probably knows what he's doing, and may end up making a profit when he sells someday. There may be a business factor that I am not aware of.

Billl

Back