• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

floppy drive emulator with SD (was: Don Maslin's archive)

Unfortunate if true. I like the STM32F2, 3, & 4 small package hardware a lot (sub-100 pins) - though I wouldn't recommend using their SDK. I just wish they had a EMIF. SiLabs makes some nice sub-100 pin M3s with EMIF, but no high speed USB. Holy grail would have both. FX2 comes close but no host mode.

Yes, I don't get the buzzer either. Either a numeric display with the current track number or a single 7-seg with a chase the hamster rotating pattern would be more appropriate.

Here's a first crack at a design that uses a PC for control to minimize the cost of a front panel. Focus is on keeping the complexity, board size, and BoM cost down while still providing what I think would be enough RAM (32KB) and horse power to get the job done. If you don't like the processor choice, could sub-in any MCU instead.

fdemu_min.zip

Be careful : the SN74CB3T16211 buffer should be powered to 3.3V and not 5V to make the right level translation.

Hi
Please, whatever design you come up with make sure it is "buildable" by the hobbyist community or plan to offer it as a pre-assembled unit. Using large SMT packages might work great during design but when it gets out into the field it will basically eliminate the low cost DIY PCB only option. For whatever reason a lot of builders won't make the transition to fine-pitch SMT (eyesight, age, shaky hands, etc). Having a project that only a few can build themselves will limit the demand for the board and make it much harder to achieve economical quantities due to higher prices.

Thanks and good luck!

Andrew Lynch

Whatever I come up with would not be for hobby builders. I'd either offer them as pre-assembled kits or do a kickstart. 5V/PTH is definitely the way to go for hobby, but the prices on single discrete components can easily eat you alive on cost. Unless the project is offering something more, you'll never come close to the price points the HxC project is already offering.

Douglas' BoM on the SCSI2IDE project is a good example. It easily costs $70 from multiple distributors (S&H). By the time you add the PCB cost and assembly time, you're into the AztecMonster eBay price range. Though you do get a Z80 SBC out of it as well.

Be careful : the SN74CB3T16211 buffer should be powered to 3.3V and not 5V to make the right level translation.

Thanks for the good catch. Actually that only seems to be true with the TI parts. I'm used to NXP's which seem to have diode drops built-in, but they are setup specifically for 3.3/5 translation and aren't as flexible as the TI parts.

Last edited:
Back