• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

OLD *WORKING* Computers - 486 - IBM 5155- IBM 5160

cudasales

Experienced Member
I have some old computers that are in working condition that I am finally going to part with.

IBM 5155 Portable Computer - Appears that everything is working. Boots to a Menu Screen or floppy (No further testing)
IBM 5160 Desktop Computer - Everything appears to be working. Have Keyboard, computer and monitor.
486 Mini-Tower Computer - Everything works, plays games and etc. Have Keyboard, computer and monitor

I will take pics within the next 24 hours
Shipping will be expensive on the IBM computers due to the weight. I will sell without the monitors and keyboards to save on shipping costs.

It should be all ORIGINAL with the Original specs but I will boot it up to find out for you. I will update the other specs once I boot these other computers up as well.
Thanks for your patience

The IBM 5160 has the following specs
Dos 3.3
640k of RAM but checks 1024 RAM during the boot process
Miniscribe Model 8425 Hard Drive which appears to be a 20MB Hard Drive
5.25" Floppy Drive
Hercules Video Card
Power Supply Model JE1030
BIOS XTBIOSE1
V1.45 LO & HI
CV 3.53

It Boots up to a menu called "Kettle's Application Menu v5.1 and lists the following applications
1. Word Perfect
2. Word Perfect with Quickview
3. Lotus 123
4. Path Minder Utility
5. PC File+
6. PC Label
7. The Resume Kit
8. Disk Operating System

There are also some Sub menus with additional Apps

Attachments

• ibm5160.jpg
    ibm5160.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Updated Picture with Monitor for the IBM 5160
The Keyboard and Monitor are original IBM and is a matching set.
The monochrome monitor is not by IBM.IBM5160wMon.jpg

I bet you'll have to ship it to Chicago. j/k On the 5155 you should be able to test the keyboard in basic (boot the system without any disk in the drive) and it should auto boot to the basic rom). I'm a little confused at the 5160. The monitor included (asking for the general public) is not an IBM monitor correct? (You said keyboard/monitor were original IBM/matching set but then later said not by IBM). Just curious. Nice systems :)

The 5155 All works. The keyboard has been tested and works Great.

I apologize on the 5160. The Keybaord and computer are IBM and a matching set but the monitor is made by Amdek.

I have received a couple of replies asking if I would ship out of the US and the answer is yes but please realize due to the weight of these older items, shipping would be very expensive. On the IBM 5150 I would have to ship the monitor and computer separately due to the size and weight.
Thanks

WOW!!!
Had tons of Fun booting up this old 486 and played a few games. Works Great!

Specs...
DX4 am486 133MHz
Diamond Stealth II 4Mb Video Card
128Mb Memory
1.44 & 1.2mb Floppy Disk Drives
6.1Gb Hard Drive
DVD/CD Rom Drive
Soundblaster Live! Sound card
USB Card
Windows 98 Second Edition
DOS 6.22
A bunch of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Games installed
Mini Tower Case with Turbo Button

486pc.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!
I set the LED to say HI (High) when the Turbo is on and LO (Low) when it is off.
The power button also lights up.

There's a little jumper brick on the back of the LED display so technically you can spell whatever you want in the two or 3 digits the display offers. Good for inside jokes and other personal entertainment. To comment though, damn nice 486.. 133Mhz?! (It's a dx4?) About as fast as it gets. Probably a great Warcraft and other advanced dos graphic games.

Those jumper bricks are definitely a pain to fiddle with as their is no common sense on how they work. Its all trial and error until you get what you want. I went for the most powerful 486 CPU that the motherboard would accept. The motherboard originally had an Intel DX2 66Mhz which was a Great chip but the AMD 133MHz 486 Processor was the easy choice and I dont have any issues with the real old games running to fast or the newer games of that era running too slow.

I played around with one of my case displays and found that on both rows of pins, you set jumpers for which segments are in common for both (turbo & non-turbo) settings. Then you add jumpers to the individual row to customize the uncommon segments that need to be lit. It's a fun puzzle to work out.

Back