• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

So how fast is your internet?

Must be something wrong with your setup. Even the older 802.11b & g routers should have been able to keep up with an 8M connection.
May well be. Have'nt tried any fine tuning as yet. It's just using default settings. Not terribly bothered really as Wiffy is happy not to be tripping over cabling. Oh and I forgot to mention Wifi is via a usb dongle not a pci Wifi card.

2389076133.jpg

This is the fastest service tier (6Mbps/512)that I can get with Bellsouth DSL. ATT ate them a couple of years ago and is trying to force everyone to sign up for their inflated price U-verse cable/phone/television packages.

AT&T has a substation a couple blocks from here but their DSL prices suck so I never tried them out. We have had cable since 1977 here so the infrastructure is probably very old.

So the cable providers cherry-pick the markets.

They got a sweet deal. Unless that gets rewritten, I doubt that rural areas will ever be serviced with broadband in North America.

If the same standard had been applied to the telephone, I'd still be using tin cans and string.

Just a note about advancements in that particular technology. The invention of styrofoam cups has made a great improvement. They work markedly better than tin cans and one can more than double the distance. Kids just don't know how good they have it nowadays. Of course I can just imagine a youngun asking, "what's string?"

EPB fiber internet in Chattanooga. I have the lowest tier they offer 50mb bidirectional. It's great.
77 channels and internet is 97+tax each month.

Later,
dabone

... So the cable providers cherry-pick the markets. ...
This is so true, if I lived a mile or so in the right direction I could have cable or DSL but neither will come to where I live because the housing density isn't great enough to warrant running the wires.

They got a sweet deal. Unless that gets rewritten, I doubt that rural areas will ever be serviced with broadband in North America.

Yup. Deregulation gone amok, telcos collecting hundreds of billions to expand the network and happily pocketing the money. It must be nice to own a governmental agency, lock, stock and barrel.

I see by various web postings that you folks up there in Canada have had your own share of problems with outfits like Telus as well.

And violating the law seldom gets even a finger-wag from the FCC here. Recently, a friend showed me that he was charged for a 911 call on his mobile--which is strictly prohibited by Federal law. Theoretically, any cellphone, activated or not must, by law, connect to 911 emergency services. I wonder how many actually do?

I wasn't joking about being way behind South Korea. You'd think that internet access would be considered by our leaders as essential to economic progress. Well, I still keep a couple of modems around, just in case.

I am one of the lucky few in the UK with FTTC which I think is what is called FIOC is called in the US, so fiber to the street cab and then VHDSL over twisted pair to the house. The conection delivers about 67 down/17 up, but most of the stuff in the house can't actually utilize that. So the laptop I am using to type this on reports:-

22 Down/ 14 Up/ 16ms ping

on the speedtest web site. My puny netbook reports about half that, but my I5 desktop will, I think drive it flat out. Oddly a friend who lives just outside the main conurbation struggles to get 1.5down/0.5 up....

I bought it for a number of reasons:-

1. It really speeds up saving documents when working from home over VPN for my wife.
2. It speeds up uploads which is great as I manage a web site for my local radio club and host some snapshots of the hercules IBM Mainframe Emulator.

These days my son also uses it to VPN into the BBC web site from the US so he can watch some UK TV program.

I didn't know that my Internet was this fast..
ggu.png

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1
I've just come across two very relevant articles.

El Reg has one on American legislation:
Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) has introduced the Data Cap Integrity Act, which will limit the amount of capping ISPs can do and give consumers a clear idea of how much data they are using and what they are being charged for.

But perhaps of more direct interest to all countries; how would you like 100Gb wireless? This is something that both Chuck and I could benefit from - if they ever get it built, that is. Currently microwave links top out at about 250Mb, but DARPA is working on the "100 Gigabit-per-second RF Backbone." That'll be some kind of magic considering current "normal physics", but after seeing POTS modems jump with quadrature encoding etc., I bet they can do it.

PS: It took a long time, but I found out that D-OR means "democrat" in Oregon State. Nothing to do with gold at all! I wish people wouldn't use such esoteric, local, and meaningless to most of the world, abbreviations that even Google hasn't heard about yet. :(

To be honest, the abbreviation for state and party affiliation is fairly standard in the US and has been for quite some time. (Wyden is one of my senators; he's okay, but he's no Wayne Morse). But why would the state and party affiliation of a US politician even be of interest to the rest of the world?

Verizon FiOS:
2390915870.png

For those with DSL in a FiOS area, don't be surprised if Verizon is pushing you to migrate your copper to fiber. If you have any problems with your DSL or phone service, the "fix" is an upgrade to FiOS service to the premises. They are trying to eliminate copper service completely in areas with fiber to save on maintenance.

How would phones work over fiber (I assume there needs to be power in your house) when the power is out? Copper lines have their own voltage provided by the phone company.

May well be. Have'nt tried any fine tuning as yet. It's just using default settings. Oh and I forgot to mention Wifi is via a usb dongle not a pci Wifi card.
Two flags there.. 1) dongles have puny antennae 2)every device using default settings crams onto the same WiFi channel. Any neighbours within range will be sharing your radio channel, though locked out of your packets by your access code. First priority in setup would be to make another channel your default.

Rick

How would phones work over fiber (I assume there needs to be power in your house) when the power is out? Copper lines have their own voltage provided by the phone company.

Verizon provides a battery backup for the optical network terminal good for 8 hours. During the 10 day outage post Sandy, I had it plugged into the generator along with the router so I had internet.

My newsgroup provider upped the monthly cap to 20GB for $2.95 (Fortes APN) from 15GB, we used to get free newsgroup service from Roadrunner but they ditched that along with free basic websites years ago (and free dialup for laptop users).

Back