• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

DOS wireless - Orinoco Gold

I dug out my 755c, will probably be a day or so before I get into it.
Ah, you didn't forget! I would certainly appreciate your efforts if you want to give that a try. If that card won't work on this laptop, then I'd be willing to try to find another old laptop at some point, but hopefully there's some way to do this.

OK, been lazy this weekend but got this done so far:

Wiped the HD and installed DOS 6.22
Installed the CARD services driver from IBM (pctpx130.exe is the file), they get installed into c:\thinkpad
Installed the wavelan driver disk for my card (Wavelan V2.00) that gets installed into c:\wavelan directory

Config.sys:
DEVICE=C:\DOS\SETVER.EXE
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH
FILES=30
DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\IBMDSS01.SYS /D
DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\IBMDOSCS.SYS
DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\DICRMU01.SYS /MA=C800-CFFF /SH=1
DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\$ICPMDOS.SYS
DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\AUTODRV.SYS C:\THINKPAD\AUTODRV.INI
DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\DISKDRV.SYS
device=c:\wavelan\wavecad\wvlancad.sys

Autoexec.bat:
C:\DOS\SMARTDRV.EXE /X
@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS

Using the program ezplay (v 1.41) in the c:\thinkpad directory it shows the card as being installed (slot 2 in my case) and being ready. Card services Release 2.10 Revision 2.21.

So next we have to pick some network client software and create a net.cfg file... any preferences?

OK, been lazy this weekend but got this done so far:
. . .

So next we have to pick some network client software and create a net.cfg file... any preferences?

Hi UK. Sorry I'm late - had to have dinner and also get my head back into this. :)

I use Wattcp or mTCP and have both in my environment so I just run utils of either type without having to fiddle. However, in this case I'm just using a floppy to test from. No SETVER, HIMEM, or SMARTDRV. If any of these are needed, I'll follow your advice when I try again. Also, the following four lines are new to me. I have the first one (resource map utility), but couldn't find information on it.

DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\DICRMU01.SYS /MA=C800-CFFF /SH=1
DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\$ICPMDOS.SYS
DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\AUTODRV.SYS C:\THINKPAD\AUTODRV.INI
DEVICE=C:\THINKPAD\DISKDRV.SYS

If these end up being needed, I'd like to know what they are and do.

All those devices were installed from the IBM card services utility disk (the file name was mentioned above). Basically it automatically sets up the PCMCIA slots on the 755c. Should be on the Lenovo website but if not: http://ftp.lanet.lv/ftp/windows/lanet/thinpad/

Lenovo only has PCMCIA ATA device drivers for the 755c, and I'm feeling really stupid now, since the link you give doesn't show any files that (to me) appear to be for the 755c. Besides, it's in a Windows directory, if that makes any difference. Anyway, I'm completely blank on where I might have seen the IBM card services utility disk - unless it's that WSU10872.exe file that I couldn't figure out how to run. Sorry to be so dense. :)

Edit: I see the file pctpx130.exe contains the PCMCIA Features Diskette for the 755c. I'll download that now.

Edit again: PCTPX130.EXE wrote a diskette and it has all the files you mentioned and more. This looks very promising! I have to book off for now, but will be back on it tomorrow. Thanks for providing that link!

Last edited:
If you read the readme text file you would have noticed it works with quite a few model thinkpads, 755c being one of them.

Anyway when you get farther post what you have and I will jump back in.

If you read the readme text file you would have noticed it works with quite a few model thinkpads, 755c being one of them.
That's how I found out. :) I read all the text files on the page. What I had missed is your reference to the specific file. I cannot reliably read this forum because of the broken vBulletin UI - sorry. :( I'm the kind of person who reads everything, but it's an uphill climb with this crap software that the forum is using.

Anyway when you get farther post what you have and I will jump back in.

OK, I've just gone through 50 reboots or so. The problem seems to be that it does not assign an IRQ. I have available 10, 11, and 15. However, checking after boot shows none of those in use and EZPLAY shows socket 1 as not initiated, although it recognizes the card.

Here is my config.sys
Code:
BUFFERS=20
FILES=30
STACKS=9,256

device=ibmdss01.sys /d
device=ibmdoscs.sys
DEVICE=DICRMU01.SYS /MA=C800-CFFF /SH=1
DEVICE=$ICPMDOS.SYS
DEVICE=AUTODRV.SYS AUTODRV.INI
device=wvlancad.sys /i=11 /b=1300 /m=d000
device=diskdrv.sys

I've tried different IRQs specified - in socket services as well as the /IO0=1 switch. Also with and without the /d and /SH=1 switches as seen above.

Did you bother trying my exact setup?????

I'm not using a hard drive. So I put the basics of what you put onto a floppy without the memory management. I'll try it now with the setver and himem.

BTW: there's no need to be rude. I'm a real person and I'm also putting some work into this. I do appreciate you help though. :)

Ole I notice you don't have the full path to AUTODRV.INI

Thanks. :) They're all in the root directory of A: so I don't think a path will be needed. Correct me if I'm wrong. Besides, reading through autodrive.ini I see it says that it does not apply to ethernet - perhaps I got that wrong, so I tried it with and without.

Here is the version with SETVER and HIMEM:
Code:
BUFFERS=20
FILES=30
STACKS=9,256

device=setver.exe
device=himem.sys
dos=high
device=ibmdss01.sys /d
device=ibmdoscs.sys
DEVICE=DICRMU01.SYS /MA=C800-CFFF /SH=1
DEVICE=$ICPMDOS.SYS
DEVICE=AUTODRV.SYS AUTODRV.INI
DEVICE=DISKDRV.SYS
device=wvlancad.sys
rem  device=wvlancad.sys /i=11 /b=1300 /m=d000
device=diskdrv.sys

The readme for WVLANCAD says it needs the params as shown in the rem'd out line. However I think there is something fundamentally wrong with my setup other than not using SMARTDRV (which I honestly don't think is relevant to this). The version of WVLANCAD that I have is "Variant 1 Version: 1.26 08-March-2002" and I have no way of knowing if this is correct for this particular card. I also don't know for sure that I have the same card as Unknown_K.

I've been crazy busy the last few days and haven't even been able to enjoy this forum.

So, you get a positive result in EZPLAY, I haven't gotten that. Nor have I gotten it to light up. More important however, did you get the packet driver to connect with the hardware, and could you ping something?

Lucent Wavelan Silver like this one:

http://wikidevi.com/w/images/thumb/...r_top.jpg/600px-Lucent_WaveLAN_Silver_top.jpg

I think they are all the same inside anyway except for the brand name.

I too have heard that they're the same, and all have the Hermes chipset. The one that I got is this, and it looks different in that the protruding part is much smaller. Regardless, it's a Proxim Orinoco Silver and the info on the back says "Model 8421-WD 842X" and "Agere Systms 0110-PC". I currently have no way of proving that it is compatible with the driver that I got, although it is the one that I got from the Proxim support site that they say is for an 8421. Actually, I downloaded the whole CD.

I don't think I missed anything in translating the HDD setup to a floppy, but I have spent quite a few hours trying various things and the card does not light up - let alone connect with the driver. I haven't had time to set up a suitable Linux on a laptop to see if it works with that. It could be toast for all I know - I just bought it.

What is interesting is that the PCMCIA ethernet card that I just got, does not require any drivers (except packet ofcourse) in this machine. I stick it in, boot from a floppy, and I'm on the net. No muss, no fuss. Similar on two other old laptops - no PCMCIA card or socket services required.

I had limited success getting a Cisco Aironet card to work under Dos / Win3.11.

Had to switch my wireless router security settings to WEP though.

I had limited success getting a Cisco Aironet card to work under Dos / Win3.11.

Had to switch my wireless router security settings to WEP though.
Yeah, I don't know of ANY cards that support WPA under DOS, WEP is the BEST you can hope for, some don't even support that.

I ended up getting one of those at the time of this thread's activity. It works like a charm and requires no setup whatsoever. No config.sys and no autoexec.bat stuff - just load the driver and you're on the air with raw DOS exactly as you (I) would with any other network card. I have no idea what this crap about PCMCIA drivers is about since it serves no useful purpose and doesn't seem to work anyway. Perhaps we (you) should start another thread on this. I've got a bunch to report too. :)

I'm at a loss as to the correct forum to slap it in or title ;). Couldn't believe my luck when two Cisco cards come up for $10, not to sure of the second ones model no. yet, including postage. Keen to report on it's WFW 3.11 performance as well as there seems little info out there and it's on topic for this site.

I'm at a loss as to the correct forum to slap it in or title ;).
I don't think there is a suitable choice for either DOS, PCMCIA, or networking. That is why I chose (after much searching and deliberation) this one for my original thread. As for title, how about "Cisco Aironet for Vintage use", or some such.

Back