• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Does it make sense to auction off monitor for IBM PS/2?

ilyaz

Experienced Member
I am selling an IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 for which I have a monitor, but I did not include it in the auction since shipping it would be expensive. So the question is: are those monitors valuable enough to be worth at least more than their shipping cost? On one hand, when seeling something on ebay I at least would like to get my time's worth for it. On the other hand, I don't have space to store this monitor so if I can't find someone who could put it to good use, I will have to scrap it, which I would hate to do.

Thanks!

You need to tell us where you are located. It really helps and in this instance, it's necessary. Is Rockville correct? I used to live in Silver Spring.

Is this an 8512 or an 8513? They're both very nice monitors. I know 'cause I used to have lots of them. :)

You need to tell us where you are located. It really helps and in this instance, it's necessary. Is Rockville correct? I used to live in Silver Spring.

Is this an 8512 or an 8513? They're both very nice monitors. I know 'cause I used to have lots of them. :)

yep, Rockville, MD

When you auction something you don't have to include free shipping. You can ask the buyer to pay the shipping. If they're not happy with that they don't have to bid.

When you auction something you don't have to include free shipping. You can ask the buyer to pay the shipping. If they're not happy with that they don't have to bid.

Well, it's sort of "six of one, half a dozen of the other": I add shipping cost to the initial bid, while having free shipping apparently gives higher weight to my auction in ebay searches

Well, it's sort of "six of one, half a dozen of the other": I add shipping cost to the initial bid, while having free shipping apparently gives higher weight to my auction in ebay searches
Shipping costs can be radically different to some countries - especially something as heavy as a computer or monitor. You must be getting a very high price - unless you don't mind making no money in some cases. As for "eBay searches", surely there can't be a problem unless there are a huge amount of other sellers with exactly the same item - which there never would be with vintage computers.

Shipping costs can be radically different to some countries - especially something as heavy as a computer or monitor. You must be getting a very high price - unless you don't mind making no money in some cases. As for "eBay searches", surely there can't be a problem unless there are a huge amount of other sellers with exactly the same item - which there never would be with vintage computers.

DId not think about it -- great point, thx. As for shipping worldwide, I've decided to limit my market to the the 48 US states, not even Alaska or Hawaii. I might be losing some potential bidders but it also makes my life a lot easier.

DId not think about it -- great point, thx. As for shipping worldwide, I've decided to limit my market to the the 48 US states, not even Alaska or Hawaii. I might be losing some potential bidders but it also makes my life a lot easier.

Went ahead and posted it.

Will keep my fingers crossed...

As for shipping worldwide, I've decided to limit my market to the the 48 US states, not even Alaska or Hawaii. I might be losing some potential bidders but it also makes my life a lot easier.
A lot easier? I buy stuff from companies in the states, and they don't complain about it, and I honestly don't think it is a "lot" easier. From what I can tell, all the trouble you save is writing the name of the item on a separate piece of paper. ;)

As for US only, it would be nice if you would advertise US Only in the title/description so that the rest of us don't waste our time and bandwidth clicking on your item. Think of other people too. :)

So how much is shipping? It just says you won't ship to Vanuato...

Nevermind, it's something on my computer for some reason...eBay thinks I'm in Vanuato, wherever the hell that is ;-)

Last edited:
Back