• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packard Bell 486

Jonathan Goon

Ok, I got a Packard bell from my aunt for me to fix and I managed to replace the Internal clock battery but it leaves me issues when I turn it on. I've checked the wiring and it still give me these messages about how the optical drives are not working and the sound card is missing. Does anybody know how to fix this issues?

- Yes this is a Semi-Stock Packard bell (changed the clock battery so its replaceable) kit without a printer.

Attachments

• GEDC0171.jpg
    GEDC0171.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 2
  • GEDC0172.jpg
    GEDC0172.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 2
  • GEDC0173.jpg
    GEDC0173.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 2
  • GEDC0174.jpg
    GEDC0174.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2
  • GEDC0175.jpg
    GEDC0175.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 2
about how the optical drives are not working and the sound card is missing.

Is that true? If the sound card is missing and the CD-ROM drive isn't working, unless you can find exact replacements, you need to remove the existing software drivers for them, and then the computer will stop complaining about it.

If those components are installed in the computer and you do believe them to be working, double-check the connections and jumper settings. Hopefully you have the original manuals for them, or else you'll need to find out the exact make and model of the sound card and CD-ROM drive so that the documentation can hopefully be found online.

Find what model sound card you have, if it's plug and play then try to find the configuration tool and see if the card responds.

I'd say either it's forgotten it's PnP settings or the card no longer works. I'm expecting that you'll find the CDROM runs off the sound card.

More than likely the CD drive is plugged into and run off the sound card, since the error is with both sound card and CD drive. Like said, find out the make and model of the sound card. The CD drive probably isn't working due to improperly configured settings on the sound card. Those settings will be configured using it's PnP configuration utility.

Pictures of the internals of the system would be handy to determine what devices are missing or loose or disconnected.

A CD-ROM can not be B. A and B are reserved for floppies, etc. A CD would show up as D or lower unless you didn't have a hard drive and then it ‘might’ show up as C but I can't say for sure as I've never tried it this way.

I seem to remember that my PB 386 would bork the settings and claim there were dual 3.5" floppies attached when in fact there was a 3.5" and 5.25". This naturally caused issues.

I'm agreeing with the others though, sounds like the sound card is misconfigured, and the CD-ROM is probably connected to that.

regarding these problem , installing the sound driver hopefully removing this issues.

Oh my god, I completely forgot that I posted this. Anyway I'm gonna see if I got the time to continue working on that packard. I'm currently busy with high school, college, and fixing computers at the high school. Currently in the process of phasing out dell optiplex gx280s, 210s, and. 620s. Also trying to rid the school of the old 20 year old compaq servers we have in use.

Back