• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Funny Ebay listings

Well, I've seen bipolar PROM pulls being offered with absolutely no labeling clue as to what might be in them. Probably by someone who thinks "an IC is an IC"...

So, every once in a while, I find a rather funny listing on Ebay. I decided to make a thread for all of my findings and start it off with this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Sea...ltDomain_0&hash=item2ebd861bec#ht_1593wt_1163
I wonder if you are supposed to load XP on the hard drive? :D

It doesn't matter. The licence on the media will say it must be sold with hardware. The disk is the hardware. I am just waiting for some one to include some plumbing, or a nice set of table mats....

A Craigslist listing, but this was pretty funny:

I really miss playing Air Raid for Atari. I used to have one of the 13 copies. It's worth about $30,000, but I will give you $5 more than the other guy!!!!

IBM 5150 w/ Count Them THREE 8" FDDs!

IBM 5150 w/ Count Them THREE 8" FDDs!

Quite a bargain for this one...

Comes with the pre-requisite grainy image shot on the world's first consumer priced digital camera w/ poor lighting and ridiculous price!

Quite a bargain for this . . .

That'll be the very rare Texas jumbo case with the four spaces for 8" drives. ;)

Seriously is there any reason why a seller should have any idea of what they're selling? I'm convinced that it is completely irrelevant. We're all just being too fussy. I recently saw a router on eBay, "complete with cables" - as shown in the picture. They were cables alright . . . audio cables!

LOL, that reminds me of the old ads from Chinese and Indian sellers who'd sell you a French Horn for $2.99 and charge $350 for shipping.

I thought that was against the rules now.

LOL, that reminds me of the old ads from Chinese and Indian sellers who'd sell you a French Horn for $2.99 and charge $350 for shipping.
I don't suppose they allow local pickup. ;)

I thought that was against the rules now.
Against the rules or not, it is not the exception. It costs roughly $10 to ship a router to Canada from the US. I know because I've bought several and seen the postage on the package. However, 3/4 of the (very many) listings charge between $25 and $100 (some more). Grossly overcharging for shipping is indeed the norm. The thing is that it's just a nuisance. I doubt that enough people ignore it to make it worth while - looking at the completed sales would corroborate that.

PS: I've concluded that only something like 10% of people have average intelligence, and the other 90% are lower than average. Again, eBay behaviour would corroborate that. :)

You used to be able to file a claim for S&H abuse and win. I don't know how things are now that eBay has become completely anti-buyer. I see outrageous shipping from Canada to the USA all the time. But I gather thats because Canada posts like screwing over Canadians. The rates are horrible. UPS can also get very expensive very fast. Honestly the only way to ship on eBay and not have it cost and arm and a leg is USPS. Of course as some members have pointed out on these forums before sellers see S&H as a profit center so you never know...

EDIT: Although the seller of the Atari seems okay. I just checked the listing and I get: $18.18 Economy Shipping from NY to LA. He apparently realized he made a mistake on his shipping and changed it on 1-9-13.

Last edited:
Honestly the only way to ship on eBay and not have it cost and arm and a leg is USPS.
Speaking as a Canadian, USPS First Class rocks!

USPS Priority Mail however, is like Canadian and you pay 3 times as much for no particular reason. Why eBay sellers usually chose it is beyond me. I'm guessing it is because they plan to ship first class but charge for priority, or they are just not very smart. In either case, I avoid anybody who ships priority like the plague. They are simply not the kind of seller I want to have anything to do with.

Speaking as a Canadian, USPS First Class rocks!

USPS Priority Mail however, is like Canadian and you pay 3 times as much for no particular reason. Why eBay sellers usually chose it is beyond me. I'm guessing it is because they plan to ship first class but charge for priority, or they are just not very smart. In either case, I avoid anybody who ships priority like the plague. They are simply not the kind of seller I want to have anything to do with.

Well most things can not be shipped USPS 1st Class due to weight and size restrictions. Priority lets you ship up to 70lbs at very good rate/price. Also the USPS has std. sized boxes that ship for a fixed price. If an item fits in the box then it can ship for the set price no matter the weight (up to 70lbs). Priority when ordered online also comes w/ free tracking and USPS provides the std. sized boxes for free. They will even deliver them to your house and pickup from there.

Well most things can not be shipped USPS 1st Class due to weight and size restrictions. Priority lets you ship up to 70lbs at very good rate/price. Also the USPS has std. sized boxes that ship for a fixed price. If an item fits in the box then it can ship for the set price no matter the weight (up to 70lbs). Priority when ordered online also comes w/ free tracking and USPS provides the std. sized boxes for free. They will even deliver them to your house and pickup from there.
Everything I buy on eBay is shipped USPS 1st Class, so to me everything can be shipped that way. :) From what you say though, it certainly looks like priority is a deluxe service - from the seller's point of view. However, I'm a buyer. :)

To restore faith in humanity - I just received a refund from a US seller whose "buy it now" offered only USPS Priority (minimum $43 to Australia), which I paid through gritted teeth. At the post office, the seller realised that First Class would be only $17 for the same item, so used First Class and refunded the difference. Seller was female, FWIW.

To restore faith in humanity - I just received a refund from a US seller whose "buy it now" offered only USPS Priority (minimum $43 to Australia), which I paid through gritted teeth. At the post office, the seller realised that First Class would be only $17 for the same item, so used First Class and refunded the difference. Seller was female, FWIW.

OK, I take back what I said earlier about intelligence. Make that 11%. :)

Back