• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Socket 7 system build

bettablue

Veteran Member
I am the recent recipient of what looks to be an almost complete 386/486 Intel Socket 7 system. I believe it is a 386. Well, almost complete is kind of a misnomer. I had to purchase a case for the build. Luckilly for me, I found the perfect desktop computer case. But I have a couple of questions. I think these are more software related than just hardware, however, there are no mini din, or PS2 ports for connecting a keyboard and mouse. There is a larger DIN connector for the keyboard, and I know about serial mice, but that isn't the way I want to go.

I guess I need to learn how to add new hardware to this computer. I'll be adding at least one dual serial port card, a parallel/serial port card, modem, sound card, video adapter, and the above mentioned PS2 board for connecting more modern keyboard and mouse.

Since I'll be running Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.0 as a dual boot setup, is adding the hardware the same as in adding the same type of hardware to an IBM 5150/5160? Or is there another process I need to go through. The computer will have 2 internal hard disks installed.

I definitely want to have all of the hardware available for both operating systems. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I am the recent recipient of what looks to be an almost complete 386/486 Intel Socket 7 system. I believe it is a 386. Well, almost complete is kind of a misnomer. I had to purchase a case for the build. Luckilly for me, I found the perfect desktop computer case. But I have a couple of questions. I think these are more software related than just hardware, however, there are no mini din, or PS2 ports for connecting a keyboard and mouse. There is a larger DIN connector for the keyboard, and I know about serial mice, but that isn't the way I want to go.

I guess I need to learn how to add new hardware to this computer. I'll be adding at least one dual serial port card, a parallel/serial port card, modem, sound card, video adapter, and the above mentioned PS2 board for connecting more modern keyboard and mouse.
I've got two Socket 7 systems and they both have PS/2 keyboard and mice ports, USB ports, serial and parallel ports on the motherboard. And they also have AMD K6-2 processors. I've never seen one with either 386 or 486 processors.

Since I'll be running Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.0 as a dual boot setup, is adding the hardware the same as in adding the same type of hardware to an IBM 5150/5160? Or is there another process I need to go through. The computer will have 2 internal hard disks installed.

I definitely want to have all of the hardware available for both operating systems. So any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
FWIW, DOS 6.0 and WIN 3.1 is not a dual boot setup. WIN 3.1 requires a DOS boot in order to run. You cannot boot from WIN 3.1.

bettablue:

Chances are you have a Socket 3. Can you post the manufacturer and/or the model number? Socket 7 boards were mostly Pentium/AMD K5 & K6/Cyrix 6x86. The PS/2 keyboard & mouse port came in toward the end of the 486 run (not referring to actual IBM PS/2 PC's). If it is your intention to build a 486 system, you may want to opt for a mobo with the all of the on-board connectors (IDE/Floppy/Serial/parallel/etc). The reason being is less overhead. Also, if you go the 486 route, you would want a few PCI slots as it makes the video a snap. If you determine that it is, in fact, a 386, it looks like you are about ready to go hardware wise.

Last edited:
The mobo processor combo I was given is an AOpen 48.84701.031. When Jimmy sent me the board, he assured me that it is a socket 7. It has a processor already installed, along with memory. The ONLY connector on this board is the 5 pin DIN connector for an AT style keyboard. I'm attaching some photos of the mobo I got from Jimmy. I hope these help. Also, there are two sticks of RAM added to the board labeled as follows:

I don't remember where I found the info on the board, because today, nothing I did to locate this board comes up empty. Bit it does appear that it will accept a max of 512Kb of RAM with each SIM of 128 Megs. In fact, the RAM that Jimmy included on the board is labeled as follows:

LG Semicon E71042
LGT (or LGI) 9296
Made in Korea

On the back side of each RAM stick, they are labeled:

RUGSEP-M01
94V-0

Based on this info, I still don't really know how much ram is installed.

Is there anything else I can get for you without pulling the processor?

There are other markings, but I think these will get you what you need to assist me in first, identifying the Mobo and what it was made for. As you can see, there are 3 ISA slots, and 4 PCI. The board also has room for two more additional sticks of RAM. If possible, I would like to completely fill the RAM as I procede with the build. I have seen both ISA and PCI PS2 expansion boards, so I'm not really worried about that. However, although I have learned an awful lot by working with my 5150, there is still a lot I don't know about working on these older systems.

bettablue:

Chances are you have a Socket 3. Can you post the manufacturer and/or the model number? Socket 7 boards were mostly Pentium/AMD K5 & K6/Cyrix 6x86. The PS/2 keyboard & mouse port came in toward the end of the 486 run (not referring to actual IBM PS/2 PC's). If it is you intention to build a 486 system, you may want to opt for a mobo with the all of the on-board connectors (IDE/Floppy/Serial/parallel/etc). The reason being is less overhead. Also, if you go the 486 route, you would want a few PCI slots and it make the video a snap. If you determine that it is, in fact, a 386, it looks like you are about ready to go hardware wise.

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpg
    IMG_0041.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1
If I can use an adapter to use my other Model M with this computer, I will be very happy, Thanks stuff! I'll start looking for one. The sad thing is that I have several that go the other way around! LOL!!!

Looks like a socket 5/7 pentium board (socket type is molded in the plastic on socket but can't make it out using that picture).

I don't understand the source of the confusion here. Jimmy said he sent you a socket 7 motherboard. It says Pentium right on it. How did you think this was a 386 or 486?

Well, the heat sink/fan are pretty small. But it does at least say Intel on the top of the fan. I just ordered the adapter to connect my Model M to the larger 5 pin DIN. With the serial port cards I have, I'll probably just use a serial mouse. I guess there really isn't a lot we can tell until I start assembly. And that can't start until I get the case. I have pics of the case I purchase attached. The case has the opening for the keyboard DIN connector. But what I like the most is the front layout.

Although it may be a Pentium, I still think this will make a nice computer set up. Jimmy sent everything I need to build it, including two internal hard disk drives, a 3.5" floppy,, DVD ROM, and of course, the Mobo, processor and memory. Jimmy also included all of the cables for adding and installing everything. And of course, I have several 360Kb half height, or equivalent 5.25" floppy drives depending on how you look at it.

This computer will have all of the drives I could ever want. Plus if it is a Pentium, and I install Windows 95B, can I then add a dual USB card I have, or a card reader to fill the other 3.5" drive bay?

Is there anything else I'm not thinking about?

Attachments

• Case_3.jpg
    Case_3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Case_1.jpg
    Case_1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Case_2.jpg
    Case_2.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 1
I don't know where I got that. It's probably that when I was asking about a 386 or 486 board, Jimmy offered this one to me. So, I guess I assumed that it was what I was asking for. Also, I didn't see the ports. I just found the pinouts for them. So I'll be adding them too as I go on.

thanks to the both of you for clearing my own confusion.

And, it's got serial and parallel ports on it.

You can also get serial to ps/2 adapters but the mice have to support both serial and ps/2 configurations internally. All the onboard ports will have pin one screen printed on the mobo so connecting them up should'nt be too hard. Good luck.

You can also get serial to ps/2 adapters but the mice have to support both serial and ps/2 configurations internally. All the onboard port will have pin one screen printed on the mobo so connecting them up should'nt be too hard. Good luck.

Actually, this board supports a PS2 mouse port if he can find the bracket/plug-in cable - though it would be a stroke of luck to find one. It also supports USB.

bettablue:

That's a nice board. I think you'd really get a big kick out of WIN95 on that machine as opposed to WIN31. You can always independently dual boot your box with System Commander or something similar. WIN95 will support most (all) of your DOS stuff. See if you can get a little more info on you CPU and how much RAM you have installed. What about a monitor? Do you plan on a CRT or flat screen?

This computer will have all of the drives I could ever want. Plus if it is a Pentium, and I install Windows 95B, can I then add a dual USB card I have, or a card reader to fill the other 3.5" drive bay?
I've still got a coupla copies of WIN 95B (OSR2) in case you're interested. One has been opened and one is still shrinkwrapped.

Thomas:

There is a Original license key Certificate of Authenticity included in the bundle I sent you for Win 95 B. I think there may be a couple other socket 7 boards in the Junk Room, I can look and send one of those to you, if you don't think the one you have will work.

I just don't remember which machines we pulled them from years ago.

Just let me know.

Jimmy

Back