• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Identify this machine

emosun

First post and I need help identifying whatever this thing is.

This is what I already know.

It's branded as Panasonic
It's an early 5.25 cd rom
It's only a few inches tall (4 or 5)
It's a sort of purple/beige color

This is what I'm guessing.

An early 3DO prototype?
An external scsi drive enclosure?
An entire panasonic computer?

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/5749/panasonicmachine.jpg

Sorry the images suck , but that's the best the world has to offer.

The other pictures show what looks like a seat and steering wheel so it is probably an early prototype of an in-console GPS/entertainment system built around a PC-98 minitower with touchscreen. Which car is something I can't tell without better pictures to see some identifying marks on the rest of the setup.

It's from one of the tour vehicles in Jurassic Park. They are heavily modified 1992/1993 Ford Explorers that in the movie were run and guided by a high voltage rail under the car..

Safaricar.jpg

The pictures are larger , I just cropped them to focus on the purple/beige machine under the tv itself.

There isn't much on the internet as far as an archive for old panasonic devices so just wondering if on an old computer forum it jumped out as being obvious to anyone.

I'm building a reproduction of the vehicle and just need whatever this machine is , even if it doesn't work.

lol I can't believe folks guessed it. So it's probably not a real computer just a built prop. You can find small security monitors which might be what that one is.. goodwill sometimes sells old ones although I suppose a small lcd or portable dvd player would make more sense and take the input from whatever you're emulating your image from. They may have just put a CD-ROM drive in the radio bay too and taken the face plate off.

It looks like an early prototype of the panasonic-built Nintendo Gamecube. They eventually released a Panasonic-branded Gamecube in Japan, but it was a different color and changed from a caddy-loader to a tray loader in production.

Back