• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

PS/2 computers or hardware

EverythingIBM

Experienced Member
If anyone has anything personal system/2 hardware related, let me know.
I'm not interested in a model 30, 25, or 56 as I have those.

I have a large collection of PS/2 hardware, and setup disks, also some early PS/1 and some Ambras, one with a DX4-100, as well as a bunch of PS/2 cards, docs and accessaries. No sound cards tho. I also live in Manitoba, Canada. Our home and native land, which once had the best postal service in the world before it was privatized. Never really considered the model 25 or 30s as being PS/2. I do have a rare PS/2 model 60 which was an AT. It had the same huge case, HDs etc as the premiere PS/2 m.80, which I have 2 or 3 of, and other PS/2 models.

Last edited:
I've got some ps/2 stuff I was thinking of getting rid of - been well over a year since I used any of it...

Model 55sx
Xga-2
Bunch of mca scsi
Bunch of mca ethernet
Mca ide controller
Real ibm ps/2 simms (not just regular 72pin)

Shipping might be a bit though...

I have to put in my two cents here. The original PS/2 line (the first year) comprised of the models 25, 30, 50, 60, 80. I for one count the 25 and 30 as legit ps/2's because of the case design and ps/2 ports. Anything that came later may also be called "ps/2" but I psychologically don't put the "newer" ps/2's in the same bucket as the originals. This is just my opinion, I respect that not everyone will agree with me.
Bill

I don't count any PS/2 that doesn't have MCA slots as a real PS/2. Not sure what the real difference between a Model 60 and a 65SX would be (same case and all) for you to not include it. I can see maybe the model 90/95 having removable CPU cards being different then the original design but there isn't much difference between a Model 50 and a later model 70.

What about the Model 70 with the removable CPU card that could come in 368 or 486 flavors? - Note that it's not a slot card like what is found in the 90/95, and the card is relatively rare, but it is removable and replaceable. I have the 386 flavor of this.

My $0.02, (and yes, OT, I know), I count all MCA IBM's, and the Model 25/30 as PS/2 line. For the similar look and design, I tend to count the RS/6000 line as "PS/2" in my mind's eye as well, though I know that they're far different internally.

I have a spare IBM 8513 monitor if anybody wants it, just for the cost of shipping. It is the 12" color VGA monitor for the PS/2 series. My dad bought it brand new in 1992 and it still works great!

I have a large collection of PS/2 hardware, and setup disks, also some early PS/1 and some Ambras, one with a DX4-100, as well as a bunch of PS/2 cards, docs and accessaries. No sound cards tho. I also live in Manitoba, Canada. Our home and native land, which once had the best postal service in the world before it was privatized. Never really considered the model 25 or 30s as being PS/2. I do have a rare PS/2 model 60 which was an AT. It had the same huge case, HDs etc as the premiere PS/2 m.80, which I have 2 or 3 of, and other PS/2 models.

PM sent!

What about the Model 70 with the removable CPU card that could come in 368 or 486 flavors? - Note that it's not a slot card like what is found in the 90/95, and the card is relatively rare, but it is removable and replaceable. I have the 386 flavor of this.

My $0.02, (and yes, OT, I know), I count all MCA IBM's, and the Model 25/30 as PS/2 line. For the similar look and design, I tend to count the RS/6000 line as "PS/2" in my mind's eye as well, though I know that they're far different internally.

What someone hasn't mentioned, PS/2s 25 and 30 are the only ones with MCGA. They are also crammed with a lot of PS/2 proprietary parts that even other PS/2s don't have. Asides from ISA, they are so PS/2erized no one would accept them as PC-compatible.
So, for me, I love them for their proprietary goodness-- but also retaining compatibility with ISA in case I need a unique 286 or 8086 computer to use with OPL3... or something ;)
I put OPL2/3 cards in both of them. Got to have FM synthesis!

I have mentioned before a couple of times that I worked at IBM when the PS/2 was launched. Believe me the model 8530 and 8525 were certainly PS/2's to IBM, part of the brochures and product marketing. It was a huge deal back then, the PS/2 was a big hit in the corporate world and everyone at DuPont and the banks bought the model 50's especially at the original PS/2 launch, and then the model 70's for the next few years. *Every* workstation had a PS/2 in big corporate Delaware in 1988-90

What made a "PS/2 a PS/2" to IBM marketing folks was more the form factor than what was inside it. That goes for displays too. The blue plastic trim and front red paddle switch to turn them on.

If you're into PS/2 trivia, the first PS/2 style monitor that I know of was paired with the 5140 Convertible, which was sold just before and through when the PS/2 was launched. It was a monochrome monitor, but had the exact look of the upcoming PS/2 line monitor. I believe the 5144 came out in late 86, but they were still "new" in 1987 when I was there. I remember everyone at IBM gathering around when we took one out of the box to see what they looked like. ooo/ahhh!

http://vintagecomputer.net/ibm/5140/IBM5140With5144Display-512K.jpg
5140 with 5144 display.

http://vintagecomputer.net/ibm/5140/IBM5144_rear.jpg
Rear of 5144 monitor

http://vintagecomputer.net/ibm/5140/IBM5140With5144_top.jpg
Side view 5144 on a 5140

Last edited:
Yes, I have to admit it is the form factor, modular design and the proprietary stuff that attracts me to these machines even though the latter factor is a PITA for repair. I have a Model 70 and 30-286 and love them both.

Tez

I have a model 70 386 here which needs a bit of work, if you're local you can poke me to put it together and test it.
Shipping would probably a bit too much of a pain in the arse.

Back