• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

FS: Good Used Vintage Computer Hardware - Tested - Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's where I was wondering if a blog post or something would have been a better format. For what it's worth this was my favorite thread for a long time. I loved seeing the pics and getting flashbacks (or forward backs for some I guess lol).

This would be great if I could Edit a Post, it seemed that the "Edit" disappeared after about 24 hours for some reason.
I think it has a 48 hour limit. I don't know why it's like that.

Well if you read the thread, I was told the images were too big, I was told they weren't old enough, and I was told they aren't in the right place, and I was told not to post any more, so why should I bother.
While I agree with the first three items (all three with qualifications) I don't think anyone told you not to post any more. And, other than Admin's comments, you're free to ignore the rest of us. :)

Here are the qualifications:

1) Images were to big to post inline but not with thumbnail links.

2) Some (most) items weren't old enough for vintage.

3) Those that weren't old enough for vintage could certainly be posted in the Off Topic Marketplace.

A little more work on your part could resolve all three of these issues. That's not asking too much, is it?

Last edited:
Well if you read the thread, I was told the images were too big, I was told they weren't old enough, and I was told they aren't in the right place, and I was told not to post any more, so why should I bother.
Suit yourself.

But you could have shown some consideration for folks with dial-up or pay-per-MB service and reduced the pics as asked just like you have on eBay.

No one said they were not old enough, it was merely pointed out that they are in the wrong sub-forum; you could have just had them moved, and even take advantage of the marketplace as was suggested.

I sure don't see where anyone told you not to post any more...

But hey, it's your image and what many folks will judge you on.

Sorta like coming to someone's house for the first time; when politely asked to remove their shoes most people will happily oblige, while others say screw that and leave...

Last edited:
I think it has a 48 hour limit. I don't know why it's like that.

While I agree with the first three items (all three with qualifications) I don't think anyone told you not to post any more. And, other than Admin's comments, you're free to ignore the rest of us. :)

Here are the qualifications:

1) Images were to big to post inline but not with thumbnail links.

2) Some (most) items weren't old enough for vintage.

3) Those that weren't old enough for vintage could certainly be posted in the Off Topic Marketplace.

A little more work on your part could resolve all three of these issues. That's not asking too much, is it?

I didn't realize the images were a problem, you didn't mention anything about the size when you responded to my thread asking me to rotate them.

I was trying to keep everything in one managable thread for both my convenience and the members. I only saw one thread with a for sale title on the site.

I don't want to post them in the auction site, if I'm going go through all the hassle of doing that, I'll post them on eBay where there is more traffic, sorry.

I still have more stuff to offer, but now I've been told not to post multiple images in the thread. So what am I supposed to do?

You know I may be a noob to the site but I've got plenty of other things to offer this site.

I've got a Disk Archive Library of over 700+ Games on 3.5" and 5.25" Disk that I could offer to Members to get Repair/Replacement Disks for damaged software.

I was also thinking of bringing my WorldGroup BBS back on-line with Multi-Player Game capability for the old DOS Games like DOOM, DOOM2, QUAKE and about 30 more Games using MADM and Sirius Software's Game Connection as well as some of the old ANSI BBS Games like TradeWars 2002, MajorMud, Legend of the Red Dragon, and Lunatix. The BBS even has 2 Pioneer 18 CD-ROM Changers hooked up to it with a complete File Library of Vintage Shareware available for download.

My request was not intended to have a flamewar. Dial-up or broadband really isn't the issue either .. having my screen filled nearly edge to edge with a giant picture of a single item makes it a pain to read the thread.

Now, here is what I'm suggesting (and already suggested once) ... Post smaller thumbnails, and a link back to a place where bigger pictures and information can be found.

If you are linking to existing already auctions on eBay, then use the "auctions" sub-forum, not "for sale or trade". If you want a more easily searchable place to sell items, our VC Marketplace works better than forum threads. (But yes, it does not get the level of traffic that ePay does.)

The general cut-off for what we consider vintage here is 486 and below .. early Pentium gear is on the hairy edge of being too new. I really did not want to get into another discussion of vintage-vs-not because the first set of items was close enough, but now the topic has been broached so you know what to expect.

We are providing you with a free place to advertise, on the assumption that it benefits our readers too. This should be a positive thing for both sides.

My request was not intended to have a flamewar. Dial-up or broadband really isn't the issue either .. having my screen filled nearly edge to edge with a giant picture of a single item makes it a pain to read the thread.

Now, here is what I'm suggesting (and already suggested once) ... Post smaller thumbnails, and a link back to a place where bigger pictures and information can be found.

If you are linking to existing already auctions on eBay, then use the "auctions" sub-forum, not "for sale or trade". If you want a more easily searchable place to sell items, our VC Marketplace works better than forum threads. (But yes, it does not get the level of traffic that ePay does.)

The general cut-off for what we consider vintage here is 486 and below .. early Pentium gear is on the hairy edge of being too new. I really did not want to get into another discussion of vintage-vs-not because the first set of items was close enough, but now the topic has been broached so you know what to expect.

We are providing you with a free place to advertise, on the assumption that it benefits our readers too. This should be a positive thing for both sides.

OK, Thanks for helping to clear things up. Could you please Delete this Thread, and I will attempt to Re-Post the Items in the proper places since I can not go back and Edit My Posts and create the Thumbnail Links. Thanks

It's not worth deleting and redoing, so I wouldn't worry about it. But going forward it would help.

Mike

OK, Thanks for helping to clear things up. Could you please Delete this Thread, and I will attempt to Re-Post the Items in the proper places since I can not go back and Edit My Posts and create the Thumbnail Links. Thanks
While I wanted to suggest this a while back I thought that was up to either you or Admin so I am glad to see that this is what is going to likely happen now as I am looking foreward to more of your posts. As I said previously we are cheapskate connoiseurs here and you've likely found a nice niche. And some of us will have a nice source for good, reasonably priced junk. :)

Good to go, Dude... and keep 'em coming. And lemme know if you ever think of some trades for that SoundMaster II ;) (baseball cards, comics, video games, computers - I don't limit my nerd-dom! or what "type" of thing I'll offer up for trade!)

Just a little information for everybody for future reference.

All items listed in this thread are still "For Sale" unless the image has been replaced by an image with a SOLD banner in it like this item that has been Sold.

The New SOLD Images will NOT be placed in a New Post, this is only a Sample. (But it is also really Sold)

IMG_0035_1.jpg

Hey, you're one of those Big Bang Theory dudes, aren't you? :)

Sometimes I think so. I've been playing with this stuff since the Mid-1980's. I use to have a Computer Store that also did "Software Try-and-Buy", I had over 800 Titles at one time. At the same time I ran a 24 Line Multi-Player BBS back before you could even play Multi-Player Games on the Internet. So yeah, you have no idea how much crapola I have at my disposal here, it scary that i've been dragging this stuff around this long.

... Dial-up or broadband really isn't the issue either ...
Not for you, obviously.

It is kind of disappointing that even on this vintage systems forum there is that elitist attitude as in, "You mean there are really people out there still on dial-up LOL, chuckle, ROFL"...

Yep, several million of us as a matter of fact...

Even at the current reduced size it takes about twenty minutes to load one page! And of course you have to wait for it all to look at any part just in case there might be something interesting.

Compare that to a 48-item page of his eBay store which takes < 5 minutes and you can read the descriptions and prices while it's loading.

Obviously folks like Ole and me are not going to waste 3 hours just to see dozens of pictures of a Microsoft diskette or memory sticks where a detailed description is all anybody really wants anyway; just seems like bad business to unnecessarily exclude and alienate a certain group of potential customers...

"You mean there are really people out there still on dial-up LOL, chuckle, ROFL"...

Even at the current reduced size it takes about twenty minutes to load one page! And of course you have to wait for it all to look at any part just in case there might be something interesting.

Compare that to a 48-item page of his eBay store which takes < 5 minutes and you can read the descriptions and prices while it's loading.

Obviously folks like Ole and me are not going to waste 3 hours just to see dozens of pictures of a Microsoft diskette or memory sticks where a detailed description is all anybody really wants anyway; just seems like bad business to unnecessarily exclude and alienate a certain group of potential customers...
Yes, even the current size reduction does not adequately satisfy Admin's request:

Hi,

Please, no more huge photos inline in the post. You should be able to provide more reasonably sized images here as a thumbnail and then link back to another page that has the details. Hopefully the OP will consider that for future posts.

Mike
Posts of this nature with multiple large pics should be constructed with thumbnailed links which this board, vBulletin, supplies quite well. Hopefully the OP will consider that avenue for future posts.

Not for you, obviously.

It is kind of disappointing that even on this vintage systems forum there is that elitist attitude as in, "You mean there are really people out there still on dial-up LOL, chuckle, ROFL"...

Yep, several million of us as a matter of fact...

<snip>

MikeS -

I asked the OP to cut the size of his images down. It doesn't matter whether you have broadband or a carrier pigeon, the size of the images was excessive.

The fact that I did not enumerate every possible reason behind the request to cut the image size down does not mean that I don't care or understand those issues. It was not supposed to be a personal slight against you, or exhibit a sense of elitism. I merely asked for the size of the images to be cut down, and I did not think that it merited enumerating all of the possible problems it was causing.

Please stop pissing in the pool. Not everything is a personal slight targeted at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back