• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Socket 7 system build

If you are going to install Win98 that Rosewill RC-103 card will work (the 2nd URL from NewEgg), but no Win95 support.
Can't find info about the ebay card so make sure it supports what you are using for an operating system. Don't just assume it works in Win95.

As always, thanks.... I had already changed my mind about which OS to install too. I'll be installing Win 98 SE as the primary OS, but I'll be dual booting it with DOS 3.1 on a 2nd hard drive to test the operation of some of my programs. Either way though, since nobody is saying anything, I guess the other items are all good to go, so I'll place the order for them later tonight. I'll be ordering the USB 2.0 hub from the 1st link. I was assured that it will work with Win-98.

The only thing I need now is a link to an internally USB powered multi-card reader to complete the computer. Any ideas?

Since you're gonna have USB why not consider one of those little multi-card readers on a wire? I've got several of them and I think they're just great. Plus, you can plug them into any modern computer you might have whenever you have the need/desire.

I did consider one of those, and I have several here to choose from. But... I'm being picky. I know I have seen one of those card readers with an internal USB 2.0 connection. And it had the driver CD to covered everything from Win95 to Win2000 and XP. It would NOT work with anything higher though. It was black and had a beige faceplate that the user could switch. No matter though. I'll be installing all black drives in the beige case any way. I even have a few blanking plates in black to swap out the extra 3.5" and 5/25" bays.

I know it's not going to be completely retro, but as long as I'm consistant, it will look great! The internal card reader is just one of those things I like to have. So, I'm definitely going to keep looking.

Thanks though.

Since you're gonna have USB why not consider one of those little multi-card readers on a wire? I've got several of them and I think they're just great. Plus, you can plug them into any modern computer you might have whenever you have the need/desire.

For those of you who might be interested...

Check this out! An internal PCI multi-card reader...
[h=1]New Litronic Argus 2500 PC Card Reader Writer Black PCI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Litronic-Argus-2500-PC-Card-Reader-Writer-Black-PCI-/280932334321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4168df3af1[/h]
I just spent my last money on the other parts to finish outfitting the mother board... Oh, well, there are enough of them so when my E-Bay sales money clears in a couple days, I'll order one.

Woo hoo!

Not to throw a wrench into your works, but I have used several of these 3.5" Floppy & card reader combo units, they are pretty slick, kills two birds with one stone, memory card reader and floppy drive in one bay. NOTE: The floppy is still run from the FDC (Floppy Disk Controller) on the board, only card reader and front USB port are USB powered, also note these use a USB header type connector, so it would have to go on mobo USB header, or a USB PCI card that has header connector, or you could buy or make some type of header to USB-A adapter. I didn't get mine from that seller, got mine clearance at a local store, but they are the exact same device.

EDIT: I should also note these "officially" need Win98 or newer for the Card Reader portion, but since that's your plan anyways, shouldn't be a problem. "Unofficially" these register as generic storage devices so there is a possibility it could work in Win95/NT4/DOS with some of the available 3rd party "USB Mass storage" drivers.

Last edited:
For those of you who might be interested...

Check this out! An internal PCI multi-card reader...
[h=1]New Litronic Argus 2500 PC Card Reader Writer Black PCI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Litronic-Argus-2500-PC-Card-Reader-Writer-Black-PCI-/280932334321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4168df3af1[/h]
I just spent my last money on the other parts to finish outfitting the mother board... Oh, well, there are enough of them so when my E-Bay sales money clears in a couple days, I'll order one.

Woo hoo!

Looks like a cool device, but you are probably locked into proprietary drivers with something like that, there's a chance with "generic USB devices" to get them working under unsupported OS's with 3rd party USB drivers, like many that are available for DOS and NT4. This thing you would probably be locked into what that manufacturer supports (win95 is oldest listed, its unlikely it would ever work in DOS).

Last edited:
Based on what I've seen here, I'll hold off on one of those. I have the item I want, so when my money clears in a few days, I'll be able to purchase it and be in good shape. Besides, with the card reader I found, it will finish the build off nicely. I'm still worried that I somehow don't have the right parts. I'll find out soon enough.

Not to throw a wrench into your works, but I have used several of these 3.5" Floppy & card reader combo units, they are pretty slick, kills two birds with one stone, memory card reader and floppy drive in one bay.

They're still quite useful (I believe that Geeks has them for $10.) I got one and replaced the floppy drive with a USB one (Teac FD05U) and put it in a modern system without a legacy floppy drive controller. So I've got floppy support as well as a card reader. The thing takes up 2 USB ports--one for the card reader and one for the USB socket.

Now that looks like a great option for my setup. Do you happen to know if they come with a beige bezel? I just checked all of my parts, and all of the items Jimmy had sent, and everything else is beige, including the case. It would be nice to keep the color consistent.

They're still quite useful (I believe that Geeks has them for $10.) I got one and replaced the floppy drive with a USB one (Teac FD05U) and put it in a modern system without a legacy floppy drive controller. So I've got floppy support as well as a card reader. The thing takes up 2 USB ports--one for the card reader and one for the USB socket.

The only ones I've seen have been black. Beige might be an option if you can find it, but it seems like everything's black nowadays. A decade from now, the color du jour will probably be puce.

Thomas:

I have a combination 3.5 disk drive and card reader in Beige. Let me know if it will work for your system. I am sending the USB PCI card I can include the drive with it.

Jimmy

That will be perfect Jimmy. And, I hope the final piece to the puzzle. The computer is starting to take shape, with the system board mounted in the case. It is a perfect fit. Now when the rest of the small parts arrive, I'll be adding them in. Hopefully, it will only be a matter of a couple of days before the system is up and running. There are so many options available for this mobo it's truly unbelievable. The manual is making things much easier too. My wife printed that off just a couple of days ago, so it's been a fantastic resource. I was also informed that everything I ordered is correct for the mobo, so it should boot up with no issues when completed.

Again Jimmy, Thanks for everything.

What I find even more unbelievable is that you keep sending me things. I don't know what I did to deserve such kindness, so instead of looking at everything in one way, or another, I'll say thank you once more.

Thomas:

I have a combination 3.5 disk drive and card reader in Beige. Let me know if it will work for your system. I am sending the USB PCI card I can include the drive with it.

Jimmy

Today was very productive with my new tweener build. Not only did I get the mother board mounted into the case, but almost everything is completely wired up with the exception of the power supply connections and a couple of possible power/reset/hard disc switch and LED cluster issues.

I can't believe the idiot seller. He included a power supply with the case, but it's an ATX power supply with a cooling fan on top which protrudes into the hard drive mounting area. In order to install even one hard disc, the power supply has to be removed and replaced with the correct one. When I contacted the seller, he basically told me I was full of crap, and that there is no way that it would have shipped with the incorrect power supply. He even went so far as to tell me not to buy from his company in the future. Needless to say, I forwarded his responses to E-Bay along with a complaint. I'm still keeping the case though. Just because the guy is an idiot... well.

Luckily, with all of my other spare parts machines, I have a few power supplies which will fit this case properly. As of right now, the power supply issue, and the fact that I'm awaiting the arrival of the final two pieces; a beige 3.5 floppy drive with built-in card reader, and the USB connections for the mobo header, are all that's really holding me back.

Jimmy assured me that he already shipped them out on Thursday, so they should be here by the end of the week.

As I have mentioned; everything else has been pretty much configured in the computer, so when the parts do show up, all I have to do is plug them in and and fire this baby up! I'll be holding off on installing the power supply until the remaining parts arrive too. But that will be an easy install.

I am a bit worried about booting it up. Since this was my first build where all of the ports had to be added manually, I double and triple checked everything from jumpers to switches and everything in between. There are a couple of things in the front panel cluster that have me curious. On the motherboard, there are two places to connect the case speaker. One is labeled Speaker Ground which is slot 3, and the other is labeled Speaker Main slot 5 or 7. Since all of the connections on the board are paired, and the connectors match perfectly, I.E. 2 pins, and one connector with 2 connectors for each pin, there is no way to connect or bridge the two speaker connections. One set of 2 for the Speaker ground, and one set of 2 for Speaker main. (Did I explain that sufficiently?) So which one should I use? I could just wait till I wire up the new power supply to figure it out. Whichever paired pins work will be the right one... I was just hoping to get it cleared up beforehand.

I was right about something else too. So far, this has been a fun build. There were a few little quirks the case seemed to throw out there as I assembled it and added the drives. For one, the rails seem to be set back on the drive too far by about 1/2" This is not on just one drive either. The rails are positioned as far as they will go to the front, and yet the drives won't set flush to the case. I'll have to drill new holes on each of the guide rails so that when they're mounted, there won't be any movement by the drives themselves.

Lastly; there are absolutely no markings on this case whatsoever: no serial number, no manufacturer sticker, no manufacturer stamp, nothing. Is there some way to find out anything about this case; when it was made, and by whom? I would like to know SOMETHING about this case, when it was first built, what company produced it, and if it was some kind of special run for a specific company. I've seen a few of those previously, although those were typically manufactured in the 2000's. From what I can tell, it appears that this particular case was manufactured so later than about 1998 or 1999. I mean when was the last AT socket 7 sold as a new machine?

Thanks everyone, your insight, and direction were especially valuable for this build.

I'll post some photos soon.

Gothcha covered, but there is no need. I see where the rails were reversible. After switching them around, the two 5.25" drives fit perfectly flush with the rest of the case front.

This has been a lot of fun. Today, I went through and made all of the mother board's header connections. (with the exception of the USB which could not be located, I presume) Still Jimmy got me hooked up very nicely. The last package included the beige 3.5" floppy drive with build in internal card reader, and a 4 port USB PCE card. all of the drives were installed, I pulled the fan from the top of the power supply, and relocated it so that air flow is not impeded through the PSU, and both hard disks drives now fit where they're supposed to, without the fan getting in the way.

I won't be able to do much more till this weekend because of medical testing and such, but if all goes well, I should have the computer up and running by the beginning of next week.

Before you drill holes in the drive rails, post some pictures. Just to be on the safe side. :)

Because of the interior layout in the desktop case I'm building this computer into, a standard IDE floppy ribbon cable just won't work, so I bought a much longer one from stone. The replacement cable should be here by the middle of the week. Until then, I'm actually holding off on doing anything more, because I want to make sure that all of the drives, and internal components are working properly. Then I'll be going for the final power up sequence. I'm still kinda going back and forth in my mind as to which OS I'm going to ultimately install. The components I have in the system all seem to be useable with Windows 95 B/C and/or Windows 98/98 SE.

This really has turned our to be a great learning experience. So hardware wise, the computer is almost complete. This really will be a great tweener, and vintage gaming computer.

Of course, I'll post a full set of photos after I get her up and running. The next thing is to give the machine a name. In keeping with the naming conventions I have, with my primary computer called "Enterprise", my wife's laptop "Voyager", the NetBook is "Defiant" and of course, "Alice" the name of my IBM 5150 PC. So now I need to find a good name for this PC. I want to keep things in the Star Trek themes, but because this is an older computer, I want something from the Star Trek past. Any ideas?

Because of the interior layout in the desktop case I'm building this computer into, a standard IDE floppy ribbon cable just won't work, so I bought a much longer one from stone. The replacement cable should be here by the middle of the week. Until then, I'm actually holding off on doing anything more, because I want to make sure that all of the drives, and internal components are working properly. Then I'll be going for the final power up sequence. I'm still kinda going back and forth in my mind as to which OS I'm going to ultimately install. The components I have in the system all seem to be useable with Windows 95 B/C and/or Windows 98/98 SE.

This really has turned our to be a great learning experience. So hardware wise, the computer is almost complete. This really will be a great tweener, and vintage gaming computer.

Of course, I'll post a full set of photos after I get her up and running. The next thing is to give the machine a name. In keeping with the naming conventions I have, with my primary computer called "Enterprise", my wife's laptop "Voyager", the NetBook is "Defiant" and of course, "Alice" the name of my IBM 5150 PC. So now I need to find a good name for this PC. I want to keep things in the Star Trek themes, but because this is an older computer, I want something from the Star Trek past. Any ideas?

Excelsior or Reliant if you want to keep it old school from the first few movies and not too obscure ;-)

Back