• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

SX-64 Party Januari 2013 - Commodore SX-64 - ‘Who’s keeping up with the Commodore’

Does anyone here have a wikipedia account? They seem to have a page dedicated to years in history (i.e. here's the page on 1983. It would be fun to have computer history added other than IBM. January 19th = Apple IIe and Apple Lisa announced. January somethingth is Commodore SX-64 (Executive).

You don't need an account to edit it. I've added it just now, let's see if it lasts.

Didn't know that. I don't see your changes so I guess it goes through some review process before posting to the interwebs (makes sense).. Actually I do see the Lisa on the January 19th page now, just not the 1983 page.

No, it's still there on January 20 - Commodore International announces the SX-64

I made an error which needs to be corrected - it should be [[Commodore Business Machines|Commodore International]], and the grammar might need some attention. Is it the "worlds first color portable computer" or the "worlds first portable color computer". And it should probably be "world's" for that matter...

"World's first color portable computer" would be my suggestion. Interestingly while looking for other computer history/timelines I came across two neat references. Here is 1981-1983 recommended from a reference on Commodore.ca although for whatever reason they have the sx-64 as unknown date instead of January of 1983. Then Commodore.ca has a nice timeline for Commodore specifically.

I wasn't able to find a reference to the day though. Does someone have a reference somewhere? I tried searching google's magazines for kicks but it seems they've changed their search page layout and I'm having trouble finding the advanced search features of date and media type (it's including lots of recent books).

Interestingly while looking for other computer history/timelines I came across two neat references. Here is 1981-1983 recommended from a reference on Commodore.ca although for whatever reason they have the sx-64 as unknown date instead of January of 1983. Then Commodore.ca has a nice timeline for Commodore specifically.

I wasn't able to find a reference to the day though. Does someone have a reference somewhere?
That is because January 20 was picked as an arbitrary date to celebrate the SX-64. When I talked to Berry back in November, he wanted January as the month to celebrate the SX-64. I told him that our club could celebrate it on January 20, the day of our club meeting. He agreed and rounded up his group in the Netherlands for the same date. Then all the other clubs and users just fell in on the same date. In other words, we don't know the exact date when the SX-64 was released.

Better change that Wikipedia information,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

The first photos of our FCUG event are at

http://retro-link.blogspot.com/2013/01/fcug-celebrates-sx-64-30th-anniversary.html

Photos from Dick E. and my video to come,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug

(Plus a forwarded message from PDXCUG.org)

And here are the pics/notes from our meeting: http://pdxcug.org/blog.asp

Goog

Meetings every 2nd Thursday of the month
Twitter: @pdxcug
http://pdxcug.org

http://pscug.org

Two of the seven TPUG member's machines in attendance at Starbucks in Toronto; several others couldn't make it. Some had ethernet but unfortunately the WiFi was too spotty to connect reliably.

DSCI.JPG

What kind of turnout did they have in the Netherlands?

It's great seeing all these pictures. What was the reaction of other Starbuck's guests to these banks of SX-64s? :)

It's great seeing all these pictures. What was the reaction of other Starbuck's guests to these banks of SX-64s? :)
Some pretended not to notice or were too engrossed in their own thing, some walked by looking around quizzically at those odd machines and some of the odd folks around them, some stopped to chat, and the staff was too busy to take notice.

A shame we couldn't all get together on an IRC channel or some other means using the 64s; those darn time zones...

More Toronto pictures coming soon on Dropbox.

Great Photos. Looks like everyone is enjoying themselves.

Which one is you Mike?

Tez
Well, at the moment there's a lot more (grey) hair on my cheeks and chin than on top of my head, and you can usually find me with a cup of coffee in my hand... best-looking guy and nicest sweater there IMO ;-)

Unfortunately Steve G., another TPUG member on here, couldn't make it; he has six SX-64s (among a large list of other Commodore models and even a few non-C= machines).

Last edited:
Yet the ratio of photos and clues I only see you with coffee a sixth of the time? What sorta mods and extra hardware did you all have? It's been great seeing everyone's photos. I'll let you know when ours are up. We ended up having two systems at our meeting (surprise to me, Bo Zimmerman showed up!). Ironically he found out about it through Berry's site so good job there :)

I brought my stock sx-64 with me to work and the meeting and had some samples of what it could do with Thunder Mountain's port of Pacman just for an immediate quick demo of the graphics and sound along side the arcade feel that you could have at home at the time. The other demo which Bo I think has used in the past as well was the Swinth demo.

At work there was a crowd for a while trying to figure out what it was and enjoying the demonstrations. A few folks took pictures with their phones and posted it on their facebook, etc. Lots of folks reminisced about their first computer which is always a fun conversation and memory. I had the book of collectible microcomputers with me so folks were able to look around at other systems they remembered or find theirs to show to others. Several folks asked me additional questions throughout the next day or two about the system and a few even had some fan feedback to their post as well so good PR. Attached is a nice shot a coworker took of someone else playing on it in the office break room. Well, ok nm I can't figure out how to get the attachment to work.

The meeting went well other than our Pizza place deciding to cancel their dinner buffet this year but folks ordered and shared pizza. Bo was there catching up with the group. We actually had about (12?) folks attend but all were mostly there for the regular group/meeting. Bo had his sx-64 modded nicely. I do believe he has one of the ethernet cartridges but I don't think he brought it. His recent mod to the sx-64 he brought was the reset button and adding Jim Brain's uIEC SD card and I believe he also has the JiffyDOS ROM installed as well. He showed a few games also (since he had just about all of them on his 4GB sd card in the thing) then booted into GeOS to show that ability.

Last edited:
Yet the ratio of photos and clues I only see you with coffee a sixth of the time?
Usually, not always ;-) only one nice sweater though; don't confuse me with sweater-less Tom...
What sorta mods and extra hardware did you all have?
The usual stuff; MMC replays loaded with games, ethernet (64NIC?), JiffyDOS and other fast loaders, an Xbox360 LCD display via Svideo, etc.
It's been great seeing everyone's photos.
Looking forward to yours!

Back