• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T3100e/40

iff69

Hello. I need a little help with a broken Toshiba T3100e/40. Can You help me with a memory dump for bios. Or maybe You can post here bios dump files checksum.
Thanks.

I don't have that exact model T-series, so can't do a ROM dump for you unfortunately, just curious as to what's wrong?

Is the system booting?

The system is not boot. It powers up, screen lit, power led lit, hdd led blinks once and thats all. No post codes,
errors. I tried lpt port diagnostics with no luck. No signal at all. Also tried with new cpu.
Thanks.

Hopefully someone can put up a hex dump so you can check the ROM, I know there are T3100e users on here.

From my experience with the Toshiba T-series and even later models is a common theme of cracked solder joins from board flex - often not even visible. The result is normally a machine that appears on but doesn't do anything. I currently have a T3200SX with the same symtpom at the moment except after 5 quick power cycles it eventually starts up. I know it suffers board flex problems (press too hard on the keyboard and it'll hardware lock) and I suspect the aged capacitors are causing the problems on cold starts. Usually the logic chips are good.

Thanks modem7.
Aw, no thanks for me for digging out the 3100, opening it up, pulling the ROMs, digging out the programmer, dumping the chips, zipping them up, copying to the Internet machine, attaching to the reply and posting, putting the 3100 back together and putting everything away again?

(And incidentally blowing both the originals when I was distracted by a phone call and put them back backwards :-( )

Hrmph!

Last edited:
Aw, no thanks for me for digging out the 3100, opening it up, pulling the ROMs, digging out the programmer, dumping the chips, zipping them up, copying to the Internet machine, attaching to the reply and posting, putting the 3100 back together and putting everything away again?

(And incidentally blowing both the originals when I was distracted by a phone call and put them back backwards :-( )

Hrmph!

SORRY MikeS. I was so excited with the last post. So sorry again. ALL CREDITS GO TO MikeS.
Thank You.
Iff

SORRY MikeS. I was so excited with the last post. So sorry again. ALL CREDITS GO TO MikeS.
Thank You.
Iff
;-)

Hope it helps.

At least blowing the originals gave me an opportunity to test the images ;-)

BTW, if/when you get it working there's a thread somewhere on here about expanding the memory to 4MB.

Well, MikeS uploaded files are identical with my rom files. Double checked the motherboard again. No visible damage. I need advice...

Good news. After swaping some capasitors and resoldering all major components in mainboard I finally start my t3100e. Some issues remaining. Cpu is hot. I can start computer with floppy. After some time it hangs. Opinions?

Some issues remaining. Cpu is hot. ... After some time it hangs. Opinions?
According to the Internet, the T3100e has a 12 MHz 286 CPU.

Note that it is normal for the 6 Mhz and 8 Mhz ceramic packaged 286 in an IBM AT to get very hot.
Your 286 is running faster than those.

But maybe your 286 is in fact overheating. The following thread is an example of that situation.
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?22043

CPU on mine gets hot enough to be just bearable; guess I could measure it if it matters.

The usual obvious questions: are the fans running? Is the metal retaining plate on the CPU? Can you kludge up a heatsink, e.g. tape a long metal strip across the top of the CPU?

Maybe another bad solder joint that's opening up as it gets hot?

Back