• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Packard Bell PB286LP memory?

BGoins12

Experienced Member
So unfortunately, it seems I am having a hard time finding memory for this machine. It has 4 empty 30-pin SIMM slots, and according to a magazine article I found for this laptop, each slot can hold a 1MB SIMM. The thing is, it doesn't mention what kind of memory it takes. I have tons of 30-pin modules, but none of them are recognized. I then tried to look up an owners manual (or any info for that matter) on this computer with no luck at all. If anyone knows what kind it might take, I'd appreciate knowing.

Article - http://books.google.com/books?id=Al...a=X&ei=poACUfrYG5HH0AHKqIC4DQ&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA

According to this, it should take completely ordinary SIMMs. I imagine parity is probably a requirement.

I wonder if there might be a jumper or switch somewhere that you have to change for different memory configurations...

According to this, it should take completely ordinary SIMMs. I imagine parity is probably a requirement.

I wonder if there might be a jumper or switch somewhere that you have to change for different memory configurations...

Thanks for the help! I just did some research, and found that all the SIMMs I tried were non-parity. Pins 26, 28 and 29 are not connected, meaning they are non-parity.

After digging some more, I found 2 parity SIMMs, but I don't know what size they are. If this helps, here is the number on the chips -

Toshiba
TC514400ASJ-80

USA 9220NCZ

The chips are 1Mx4 bit. The rest is arithmetic.

One of the "cheats" used on some 30 pin SIMMs was to generate the parity bit from the data bits without using an extra chip for parity RAM. Doesn't accomplish much other than allowing use in a required-parity system without investing in another RAM chip.

Back