• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Looking for info on old Samsung desktop

Todd1561

I suppose I'm getting more nostalgic as time goes on and I started looking for info on one of my first computers. It was a Samsung, I believe an S400 or possibly S500. It was either a 386 or 486 processor. Would anyone know the exact model number, or a resource that has more information on older Samsung product lines? If I could find one for sale at a reasonable price I might buy it. The closest model I can find is this S330, which is older and has I believe an 8086 processor: http://www.kpsurplus.com/buy/vintage_samsung_s330_desktop_computer/67626

Mine looked similar, but had a DIN keyboard port on the front of the case and possibly one of the old locks on the front to prevent intrusion.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Todd

Do you remember what year you got it? Do you remember the form (i.e. Laptop, small desktop, full desktop, or tower)?

Stason has a few Samsung motherboards listed. books.google.com will get you to the InfoWorld archive and at least in the early 90s Samsung advertised heavily so you might be able to find something.

I did find reference to a 5550 which is a smaller 286 based system (3 drive bays instead of the AT's 4 or normal clone's 5).

Do you remember what year you got it? Do you remember the form (i.e. Laptop, small desktop, full desktop, or tower)?

Stason has a few Samsung motherboards listed. books.google.com will get you to the InfoWorld archive and at least in the early 90s Samsung advertised heavily so you might be able to find something.

I did find reference to a 5550 which is a smaller 286 based system (3 drive bays instead of the AT's 4 or normal clone's 5).

Thanks for the info! It was a desktop, just like the pictures I linked. Had 2 5.25" bays. Can't remember the exact year, would have been late 80's early 90's.

Was that machine's motherboard built by Daewoo? The layout of the ports looks very similar to the Leading Edge Model D. Being that both are Korean based companies, it wouldn't be all that surprising that they shared stuff at the time.

Was that machine's motherboard built by Daewoo? The layout of the ports looks very similar to the Leading Edge Model D. Being that both are Korean based companies, it wouldn't be all that surprising that they shared stuff at the time.

Unfortunately, I have no idea who made the motherboard.

books.jpg
Found it! It was indeed an S500. Thanks to krebizfan for the suggestion to check Google Books. I found several PC Mag ads from 1988 that show the S500 and S300. Looks like it was actually a 286. Looks just as I remember it with the key lock, up-front DIN socket and single 5.25" floppy drive. Here's a link to the ad: http://books.google.com/books?id=PA3RA3f6mi0C&lpg=PA446&dq=samsung%20s500&pg=PA446#v=onepage&q=samsung%20s500&f=false In case that doesn't work I added an attachment here of the page.

Now, anyone out there have one of these kicking around they want to get rid of? :)

Todd

Something I noticed.

In the 1980's both ITT and Acer made machines with the same case design - the Samsung is the same case again except the S500 the drives are moved to the right a little bit. If I am correct about this, you'll find the power supply plugs directly to the motherboard and it's extremely quick and easy to work with (unlike many other designs from that period).

Would be keen to see inside one.

Could be, the last time I had the case off was 20 years ago, memory is a little fuzzy!

Scrapped one years ago but still have the motherboard in case you find one and need parts.

Druid had one (I sent him the little keyboard cable) but I haven't seen him on here for a while; maybe time to phone him.

Just checked: looks like he sold it.

Last edited:
Yeah after doing more research I came across the S550 model, that could have been what I had as well. I'll have to dig through some old photos to see if I can find an actual picture of the one I had. If you have the time to locate yours and determine if it's running I might be interested in taking it off your hands, if you'd like. Although, shipping that old iron from Toronto to Raleigh, NC might not make much sense! I used to live in Vermont, would have been a much shorter journey!

Thanks for the help!
Todd

Back