• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Tano Dragon 64

That is the same company I got some of my Tano's from as well. I also got that Digital Research CP/M that they're selling way back when.

It's a shame there's not more interest in these systems. I know I'm not the typical collector (everything videogames and computers), but it's quite rare to get new old stock computers from this era.

Hi!,

Although I'm already lurking the forum since a couple of months ago this is my first message; so, given the date, first of all I want to wish you all a happy new year! :xmas:

I want to start the year in a "retro mood" and I'm thinking in buying a Tano Dragon from California Digital; but after reading the info about the CoCo FDC I'm even more interested as I've a spare CoCo FDC that would be great to adapt to the Tano.

Where can I find the SuperDOS ROM that Sharkonwheel did mention to burn an EPROM?. Is it copyrighted and can't be uploaded anywhere?.

Pretty unbelievable that they do have them still. I guess it's all the same deal, boxed units. Was a great deal then and still is. I bought two from them last time they were posting here and they were great, beautiful condition.

I would love to get one of those. Presumably I would have to handle that it's a US version (110V and all that), but that's not much of a problem. I did work with a borrowed Dragon 32 back in the day and it would be nice to have one again.
But I think I saw somewhere that shipping to here would be at least $90.. so it doesn't look feasible. Anyway there's no 'Buy' link on their web page.

-Tor

Toss them a note from the auction if you want. I'm sure they'd quote the shipping for you. Not sure the going rate of the systems. They're about the only folks I ever come across selling (for CHEAP IMHO) especially for NIB. Really even with $90 shipping you'd be spending $135 for a new and boxed unit. Assuming it's just 90 for shipping.

Here's a British video review of the Dragon 32/64:

The warning about its lack of complete CoCo compatibility is discouraging, although at only $45 "new in box", it's definitely still worth picking up as a collector's item.

I got my Tano Dragon from California Digital. They are slow to respond to e-mails and slow to ship, but if you have patience they will follow through. The box is in near-mint condition and everything inside looks new and untouched. It works fine and comes with a cassette cable and some programs and games on a tape (a claimed "$149.95 value!"), so if you have any regular cassette recorder you'll be ready to try it out.

The video output is a 5-pin DIN but it does not follow the Atari/Commodore/TI pinout; however, you can use an Atari 800/XL/XE luma-only (monochrome) or luma/choma cable. The Dragon uses the same pins for color composite video and audio as the Atari uses for audio and luma, respectively, so they are reversed; the luma plug becomes the audio output and the audio plug becomes the video output.

Regarding the A/V pinout, how does that compare with Sega SC-3000 and Genesis/Megadrive? The latter has both composte and RGB output on its DIN connector, and I recently discovered it is the other way around compared to the Atari/Commodore pinout. Although I didn't study the Dragon (*) and Sega pinouts, they might very well have something in common.

(*) Does this apply to the US TRS-80 CoCo series too, or do those use other kinds of connectors if they output composite video + audio at all?

According to the pinouts I've seen, the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive (Mk 1) uses Pin 1 for composite video and Pin 3 for audio (that is, going by where Pins 1 and 3 would be on a 5-pin DIN, even though the Sega uses an 8-pin socket). The Dragon uses Pin 1 for audio and Pin 3 for composite video.

The Color Computer and Color Computer 2 do not have an A/V output; they are RF-only. The Color Computer 3 provides standard RCA jacks for composite video and audio, and also has a 10-pin socket for connecting an analog RGB monitor.

Tano Dragon 64

All, Paul R is no longer working on this. We do however still have a few Tano Dragon units available (same specs as original post by Paul R). Send me a message if you are interested. DSC_0600.jpg

I'm very tempted but it looks like Dragon disk controllers are hard to come by and CoCo ones don't work so I would not be able to use my HxC. Are there any other SD solutions?

Last edited:
Never mind - they can't / won't ship outside of the US.

Sad thing, I was still thinking in purchase a mint Tano one of these days.

The SC-3000 A/V cable is the same as the one used with the Dragon, I use it with both machines without problems. About the CoCo 2, maybe I'm dreaming; but I can recall the machine having A/V cinch connectors...

The Dragon has no SD storage apart from the HxC (I must to say that it works flawlessly); but there're some disk controller projects in the works in some spanish forums. I myself have one of these controllers; but I need to admit that it has some flaws :-(
The original controllers (DragonDOS, Delta or Cumana) are hard to find and very expensive; but IIRC some of the CoCo controllers (>FD-501?) can be adapted by meas of a special DragonDOS patched ROM.

I have an original Dragon floppy drive controller. If people are interested, as soon as I have time (which might be a little while yet) I can photograph it in great detail and try to draw up a schematic to allow people to duplicate it?

There are some services that will forward you the auction and you provide their address for shipping. I can't remember the names right this minute but I think they're used mostly by international buyers in similar predicaments.

Back