• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

LCD monitors for vintage computing/gaming

mac512

Experienced Member
Hello people!

I would like to know if anyone uses small LCD monitors for regular vintage computing/gaming. I was thinking of something like this 10.4":

INS-CARLCDTV0213337618019462.jpg

They do VGA (640x480,800x600,1024x768), AV and analog TV. They also come in 8" sizes but i think they are too small.

Thanks.

Jose

I use a Viewsonic 17" LCD with my 5150 and 8530, but i'm not satisfied with new LCD TVs for use with other machines (ataris, commdores and consoles).
Also, a small monitor is easy to store when not in use and the TV is shared with kids and wife...

I too use a LCD for anything with VGA or that can take a VGA card, as a VGA LCD is easier to read (and photograph) and isn't as bulky as a CRT.

The one I use is a Dell 1708, but I've never had any problems with any LCD before.

My 486 and 286 have an HP 1501 LCD and a Dell 15" LCD they share between each other. THe HP went a little wonky recently, so I purchased the Dell as a backup.

The Tandy is on a 20 year old Mitsubishi console TV via composite, but some day I might plug it into the big widescreen in the living room for giggles though.

It's not as big of a deal these days but if you come across "vintage" (obsolete) LCDs some are really horrible refresh rates and will make gaming unfeasible. However these were more an issue on the early TFT LCD screens I think. I'll follow that with yes I game on an LCD these days and it's been fine technology for fast refresh rates for the last several years. I think they used to sell them based on refresh rate too but I haven't been lcd shopping for years.

I've never gotten any modern LCDs to work the way I want them to. They don't have the same aspect ratio as CRTs and all the ones I have ever tried insist on stretching things out. Horrible for drawing programs. And they never handle odd resolutions well, either badly stretched or just refuse to display. Especially with modes like those that DOS MESS/MAME use.

I've been using a Dell 15" E153 terminal on my DOS/WIN31/WIN95/WIN98/XP machines for about 7 or 8 years and have never had presentation problem, be it games, word processing, spread sheets or what ever. The LCD is 12.25w x 9.25h (15 diagonal) . I will concede that the larger wide format LCD's, 22" and up, will tend to get on one's nerves a little while playing with DOS.

Back