• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OS/2 with a duel cpu pentium pro board?

oblivion

Veteran Member
I have 2 Pentium pro duel CPU boards hear i would love to get up and running eventually and I was looking for older OS's that support SMP. I really wanted an alternative to windows NT or Linux and discovered that OS/2 2.11 and some versions of OS/2 warp support SMP. anyone have any experience with these?

I like OS/2 and I assume if would give better DOS compatibility (i know games will not take advantage of the second CPU but still)

I know of absolutely no software for OS/2 that takes advantage of multiple CPU's. I didn't even know that anything other than Warp 4 Advanced Server supported it.
I believe you are stuck with windows NT 4 because running an up to date linux distro on the Pentium pro will be quite slow.

I haven't done it first hand.. don't remember what the condition of my only dual pentium pro system is and haven't tried OS/2 on it but I do think OS/2 does SMP. The application also needs to support it though and that may also be what Next is pointing out.

I know a coworker for the longest time had one of our pentium pro systems running BeOS on the side of his desk but he mostly used it for coding and mp3 playing lol. Although come to think of it I don't know if it was a dual processor or not.

ah, that sucks. but theoreticly even though nothing as far as software takes advantage of SMP theoreticly if i had 2.11 or the version of warp 4 that supports it would doing things in the OS itself take advantage of it?

2.0 had a lot of 16 bit code in it for backwards compatibility. 2.1 and greater were mostly 32 bit except the 16 bit subsystem for windows 3.1. AFAIK.

Now onto the main question Aurora codename for warp server 4.52 does SMP. I had it running on a duel Pentium III based ASUS P2B-DS with512MB RAM. And on a Dual PIII ASUS P3C-D Rambus board running 768 MB. So I think that Warp server is less forgiving then OS/2 2.11 SMP. But then again theses systems had a lot more horsepower than a dual Pentium Pro. Just my 2 cents worth

Googling around but never posted it previously I did see some kernel mods or something on I think os2site.com for pentium pro smp. It looks like it potentially takes a membership or login though to get the files but cool that someone is still archiving the good fight.

Back