• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What am I doing wrong here?

josephdaniel

Experienced Member
I finally got mtcp working lastnight and have beel on some bbses today and i decided I would try bobcat sh here is what I did to download it

htget -v -o bcat-e07.exe http://fdisk.com/doslynx/bobcats/bcat-e07.exe
it downloads the file and I put it in its own directory. no here is where I have a problem when ever I run the .exe file i get the message cant open arjsfx.exe ?
am I useing the wrong version of it or what? (if there is a better browser please tell me !)

bcat-e07.exe is a self-extracting ARJ archive... hence the "arjsfx" message. Don't know what machine you're running, but it's likely only the decompression code that's having a problem (e.g. it might require 386+). Just run it in a "modern" 32-bit environment to extract the files before transferring them.

I'm running it on a xt. I would run it on a modern computer but everything around here is win7 64 bit and my one win 2000 computers hdd died last month I can get files to the xt with a USB floppy drive just no running their programs
I might try it on a school computer after spring break since they have a few 95 computers around

Don't know if the directory name and location matter, but why not try creating a \dialnet directory and running bcat-e07.exe from there:

BOBCAT QUICK SETUP NOTES

Step 1: download the file
Step 2: make a directory C:\dialnet or D:\dialnet or E:\dialnet
Step 3: place the file in \dialnet
Step 4: run bcat-e0?.exe /y ( /y automatically creates subdirectories)
Step 5: run newuser.bat (checks for update or new installation)

BEFORE PROCEEDING TO STEP 6 "QUICK SETUP" MAKE SURE YOU
HAVE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION AVAILABLE.
IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IT CHECK WITH YOUR PROVIDER

1. Your Comport (1,2,3 or 4)
2. Your modem init string
3. Your Providers "Internet" Phone Number
4. Your Login or User Name (usually all to left of @ sign )
5. Your Login Password
6. Your Provider's Nameserver Address #1 (eg 201.80.60.1)
7. Your Provider's Nameserver Address #2 (eg 201.80.60.100)

Step 6. Make sure each of the above is entered correctly in newuser.bat
Step 7. Dial your IP using the bcatdial.bat in your dialnet directory.

Note: If you entered the Setup information Correctly
you should connect to your Provider OK.

IF YOU DID NOT CONNECT YOU SHOULD CHECK ALL YOUR
SETUP ENTRIES AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENTERED THE
CORRECT INFORMATION. RERUN NEWUSER.BAT IF NECESSARY.
CHECK WITH YOUR INTERNET PROVIDER IF IN DOUBT.

SEE: READBCAT.DOC in the \DOCS directory for more details on
how to manually set up, or fix problems

nope. even within a new dialnet directory it did not work... are there any other browsers that someone could reccomend?
Yeah, looks like it doesn't care where it is, at least the extraction part.

If you want, send me your email address in a PM and I'll send you a zipped version; maybe that'll work for ya.

ARJ can extract arjsfx files, so that's another option. (Just don't download an ARJ version made after 2000, it pauses for nearly a minute and complains about being too old; look for something more sane like ARJ 2.41 which is circa 1993.)

Run DOSBOX on your Windows machine and run the self-extracting DOS archive in that. It will extract, then you can go to where it dumped and pulls the files.

You're making this much more difficult than it needs to be :)

yes I know but certain parts of the file like lynx.exe is 454kb and I don't think that will fit on a 360k disk and I cant find any compression utilities that will extract files that are zipped in win7 maybe I should get a floppy controller that supports 1.4MB disks...
not trying to sound mean BTW just frustrated

yes I know but certain parts of the file like lynx.exe is 454kb and I don't think that will fit on a 360k disk and I cant find any compression utilities that will extract files that are zipped in win7 maybe I should get a floppy controller that supports 1.4MB disks...
So you SPLIT it into <360K pieces, put THEM (the pieces) onto individual floppy disks, COPY them to your XT and RE-UNITE them THERE! What's so difficult with that?

I assume you'd run the program like so: SPLIT.exe (filename) 360
Then once you have them both on the XT: Re-Unite.exe (filename) (other filename)
Along those lines, as I haven't used the specific program.

Okay, first install DOSBOX on the windows machine so you can run 16-bit and 32-bit DOS programs. That will allow you to extract most archives, then use DOS pkzip 2.04g to zip them all up into a single file.

Then, download CHUNK from http://www.oldskool.org/pc/chunk which will allow you to break the .zip up until 360K-sized parts, even if it can't be compressed. Transfer the parts one by one, then run chunk again on the target XT to put the file back together.

pkzip supports zip-files-in-pieces but it is very clunky and doesn't work very well, which is why I recommend a splitting/chunking program like CHUNK. (In fact, it's the reason why I wrote chunk in the first place)

Back