• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recommendations on Task Switchers?

JohnnyVolare

Hello,

I'm building a 486dx-33 system for textmode applications-only. Planning on Dos 6.22 (or maybe Dos 3.3 if I can get all my hardware working with it).

What's a great task switcher people were using in the early-mid 1990s? My goal is to use apps like Lotus 123, Dbase, WordPerfect etc, and I know what's gonna drive me nuts is exiting one program to lookup something in the other program. Ideally I'd like to switch back and forth between running programs.

In the day, I used DesqView, but I seem to recall that affected the text-mode performance, and one of the things I'm looking forward to is snappy text from apps having the whole CPU to themselves with no interruptions.

Any good recommendations for good, fast bulletproof taskswitchers (I don't particularly need multitasking).

Thank you.

I used to use PC-MIX on my old 286 to run 3 programs simultaneously and it was just fantastic for what it could allow me to do on a 286. I don't know whether it's technically considered a multitasker or a task switcher but I imagine it would fly on a 486. It's small and efficient. Won't hurt to give it a try.

Attachments

• PC-MIX.ZIP
    33.6 KB · Views: 1
DesqView is the best of the text mode multitaskers. You want a multitasker because most of the pure task switchers swapped the unused programs to disk which is much slower than keeping all programs in RAM. You can adjust foreground/background ratios to better fit your needs; for example, setting background to 0 will prevent any background tasks from running. Test a few different settings and find the one that works best for you. I would want some background operation in case of a very long spreadsheet recalculation. Doing something else makes the time pass easier.

About 1990 and later, DOS versions of 1-2-3 and WordPerfect often ran in graphics mode. Many taskswitchers will not permit switching when in graphics mode or won't correctly jump back. DesqView handles this well.

Seconded recommendation for DesqView. It's a marvel of software engineering, and can even run on an 8086 (although it is more useful if you give it some EMS memory). DesqView can definitely pop a textdemo application full-screen and like krebizfan said, set background to 0 and the app will have most of the machine for itself.

A 486 shouldn't have trouble providing you multitasked "snappy text performace" though. Even a 386 wouldn't. There's only 4000 bytes to update per screen...

Can 32-bit versions of OS/2 be run strictly in text mode (no Presentation Manager)? People used to call it a "Better DOS than DOS" for a reason. A 486 shouldn't have too much problem running a stripped down OS/2 2.x or 3.x and some DOS apps.

What about the dreaded Windows 3.x:

"Ok, here it comes: Windows is better than OS/2 when it comes to text mode task switching! Gasp!! The ease and speed of switching through full screen DOS sessions in Windows 3.1 is a delight. Use ALT-TAB and windows loops through the titles of all running tasks until you release the ALT key. It requires only one hand and a couple of repetitive keystrokes to find what you want, and you never have to leave text mode. OS/2 has no such facility."

From http://www.vex.net/~x/alt_os2_must_have.html

Last edited:
Agreed but Win is just another option to consider, one of many. After installation it can be thinned down. The OP may want to task switch between more than 3 dos apps at a time. In fact there have been posts on this site of folk doing exactly that in a professional capacity in the early to mid 90s.

Not used it but does PC-MIX have a cut n paste ability at all?

Last edited:
Not used it but does PC-MIX have a cut n paste ability at all?
Hehehehe, I haven't usd it in so long I don't remember. :) Why don't you set it up and let us all know.

I know that it even runs on a PC or an XT so it gives multitasking capability to even the earliest machines.

After reading that usenet post no thanks. Which begs the question was there a newer version that sorted those issues listed?

Last edited:
After reading that usenet post no thanks. Which begs the question was there a newer version that sorted those issues listed?
I used it for many years with no problems. You're gonna let one crybaby stop you from trying something that's useful and unique? :) How many thousands upon thousands of users have complained about WinBlows over the years?

Crybaby? They look like legit issues. If you used it for so long how come you cannot remember if there's cut n paste option? Surely that feature would stand out?

Software Carousel is another option. Similar memory foot print as PC-MIX. By default used the function keys to switch between up to 10 Dos programs. http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=...&q=Software Carousel for dos download&f=false

The OP has a few choices. Let him decide what option best suit his needs.

Last edited:
Crybaby? They look like legit issues. If you used it for so long how come you cannot remember if there's cut n paste option? Surely that feature would stand out?
Because I haven't used it in over 15 years? So I can't remember every little detail. Can you remember everything about a program you haven't used in over 15 years? Besides how can you comment on something you have no experience with?

Since I'm building my 486 part by part and obsessing over each decision :p I decided to go with DR DOS 6 which has the TASKMAX switcher. TASKMAX seems to have everything I want, plus DR DOS 6 has some bonus features that seem fun. I'm going to be running DBASE 3 Plus, Word Perfect, Lotus, a Command Prompt, and SSHDOS and not multitasking, just switching between them all.

The project is all parts on my workbench so far (need a power supply and ram chips), but it's sure a blast doing this stuff :)

I appreciate all the advice!

remember if there's cut n paste option

That's a pretty standard command line DOS utility. Best bet is SNIPPER.COM 1683 bytes, but takes up 4K in RAM. Collect up your cuts in a file or keep one in the buffer to paste anywhere at all. That, and command line completion - gotta have it. :)

Back