• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Epic Technologies modem...

geneb

Veteran Member
I have an Epic Technologies "2400 Classic II" modem in my IIe and I need to find the pinout for the 10 pin header and the definitions for the dip switch block.

Does anyone have docs on this modem? I've only found pictures of it on the net, no docs.

tnx!

g.

I found one of these as well, and I need the manual too. I'm hoping the 10-pin connector is for a serial port (since the modem part is useless).

The ribbon connector on these early apple // modems usually went to the external line coupler (sometimes an acoustic coupler, sometimes a line jack coupler).

Definitely not a "serial" port, usually just filtered and isolated line audio connection and DTMF tone generator usually. It allowed the modem makers to use one coupler unit with multiple models of modems without having to get ALL their modems certified with the FCC, they only had to register the ONE coupler unit, not the whole modem card. You have to remember this was back when the phone company owned all your phones, and you needed special permission to even hook up a modem.

Well, after looking at the card more thoroughly, it's definitely not a serial port because there's no RS-232 level shifter chip anywhere on the card, much less one hooked up to that connector. So you're probably right.

Anyone know of a mega-cheap source for Super Serial Cards?

Well, after looking at the card more thoroughly, it's definitely not a serial port because there's no RS-232 level shifter chip anywhere on the card, much less one hooked up to that connector. So you're probably right.

Anyone know of a mega-cheap source for Super Serial Cards?

They are usually not outrageous on ebay, they were such a dime a dozen back in the day that their prices are reasonable

Here's one currently at $3.25 (ebay)
One for $17.99 Buy-it-now (ebay)
DRKENB (from this site) has one complete with cable for $35 on his website if you want to support a fellow forum member

As you can see they are still pretty obtainable.

Back