• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is the term for this?

DimensionDude

Experienced Member
What's the proper term for the point to point wiring on a printed circuit board performed by the manufacturer to correct circuit errors? I'd always heard them called ECO (Engineering Change Order).

Is there a better or more correct term for this?

I've heard them called engineering jumpers but frankly what they are is "a mistake."

An ECO would be the instruction on how to add the jumper to bring the part up to the required specification for that part or assembly.

I wasn't involved with that in a professional field so my answer may be irrelevant but I've usually heard them and referred to them as patches as well. Just like an old phone operator would use "patch" cables to patch your call through (one plug to another). Old synthesizers use cables from one sound generator to another and called them patch cables (and later the pre recorded sounds banks were called patches just from the legacy term). So to me patching electronics from one point to another whether it's a hack or official is patching.

Long ago when I was a practicing EE, circuit board modifications that were allowed to ship out to customers were simply called "cuts and jumps."

smp

Back