• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Data cartridges for HP/80 computers

inakito

Experienced Member
Hi.
I have been trying to find data cartridge types DC 100A and DC 1000 for my HP-85.
Although I have found a couple of web-sites that used to sell them some years ago I have been unable to find a place to buy these tapes today (as of March 2013).
I know there are people that change the tape reader to accept new tapes but I don't want to do this.

Has anyone been sucessful finding these tapes or any other kind of tape suitable for the same reader ?

inakito.

Thanks for these links. Unfortunately none of them sell outside USA.

Stone, i do have my country detailed on my ebay profile. On the links you have provided it is specified as US only auctions.

Athana apparently has some tapes in stock, but very expensive: 53-USD each tape plus 61-USD for shipping!

I don't know if this is a help or not...

IIRC, I still have 5-6 old HP tape cartridges that were associated with an HP-85 that I used to have. These tapes were prerecorded with software applications for the HP-85. Of course, they are as old as the HP-85, but they may still be readable or erasable and reusable. How risky this may be, I don't really know. I do not have any real experience with this tape media at this age.

I would be willing to offer them at $10 each, plus the cost of shipping, if you're interested. If the tapes are readable, you get the software on them as a bonus. If that is no bonus for you, perhaps they can be erased and reused for a while.

Others should chime in if what I am suggesting is not appropriate or too risky.

If you are interested, let me know, and I will get the details of what the tapes are this evening when I'm back home.

smp

Back