• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to test Disk ][ drives with IIgs

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
I was wondering if it would be possible to test a Disk ][ drive using an Apple iigs? I was think of opening up the 3.5 or the newer type 5.25 drive and
removing the 19 pin connecter from the internals of the iigs drive and connecting that 19 pin end of the cable to the disk ][ interface board. Then hooking up the 19 pin "D" connector to the iigs. Possible? :confused:

Reason: My Apple II+ is still down awaiting a 6502. Which I should have tomorrow. Was just wondering if the drives I got as part of the II+ package are any good. I did open one up and the internals were very clean.

It's all exactly the same electronics - so the answer to your question is "yes," you can test any Disk II drive with the IIgs - you just need the correct cable for each situation (mapping the 20-pin header to 19-pin D shell and back). I don't have any idea if you can take the cable from one and directly plug it into the other, though. There are those that sell adapters to go from one to the other, but I don't know what they do to the pinouts (if anything).

You could just put the Disk ][ interface in the Apple IIgs, it should work fine as long as the corresponding slot is set to "Your card" in the control panel.

Don't have a disk II interface card. That's why I was wondering about connectivity. I have 4 Disk II drives I would like to test and sell.

You could just put the Disk ][ interface in the Apple IIgs, it should work fine as long as the corresponding slot is set to "Your card" in the control panel.

If you have an Apple ][+ then you should have a Disk ][ card in it that the Disk ]['s hook up to, otherwise you can't use them with the ][+. Just take the Disk ][ card out of the ][+, put it slot 6 in the GS and set slot 6 to "your card" in the GS control panel.

If you have an Apple ][+ then you should have a Disk ][ card in it that the Disk ]['s hook up to, otherwise you can't use them with the ][+. Just take the Disk ][ card out of the ][+, put it slot 6 in the GS and set slot 6 to "your card" in the GS control panel.

Or any slot, and simply PR#<slot> to test.

But, he has said he doesn't have a Disk ][ controller, so I'd have to believe he knows what he says.

In which case, having the adapter is probably easiest, or buying a Disk ][ controller online. They usually go for about $10-20.

Not to dis Valeri, from whom I have purchased items before and have been quite happy with both the items and his service, but you can buy a Disk ][ controller card for a lot less than $35.60 for the adapter.

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

Back