• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM XT Needs a Good Home

edwardh

I have a working IBM XT; 40 MB hard disk Mono monitor, 640K memory, internal 1200 baud modem, original keyboard, that needs a good home. I bought the computer in 1984. I will be moving soon, and do not have room to store the system unit and monitor any longer. Rather than recycle the equipment, I thought I would check here and see if anyone that appreciates vintage computers could give my computer a good home. I have manuals for WordPerfect 5.1 and Lotus 1-2-3 2.01. These two programs are on the hard disk, along with some other misc. programs. The system unit has a 3.5" floppy disk drive and a 5.1/4" floppy disk drive. There must be something wrong with the disk drive controller, because the floppy drives are not recognized by the computer.

I am willing to donate the computer to anyone if they pay the shipping. I live in Utah; zip code 84058. Please respond if you can help me give my computer a good home.

I have never shipped a computer before; There is a UPS store close to me. Is it advisable to let someone at the UPS place pack up the system? Would you want the books for WP 5.1 and Lotus 123? The programs are on the HD, but I don't have the disks any more.

When I bought the system in 1984, the local police were saying people should mark their high-value items with name and SS#. So I borrowed an engraver and put my info on the system unit and the monitor. To remove my info would take some of the paint off. I could leave it as is, but I'm nervous about doing that. What would you prefer?

Basically you want to wrap the computer in a little bubble wrap then put it in a big, sturdy box with some packing peanut already in it, then fill the box up the rest of the way with packing peanuts. That's the professional way of doing it anyway.

I don't know who you're asking, but I actually have a copy of WP 5.1 and Lotus 123 on the way right with some other stuff.

Regarding the SSN(what a weird thing for them to tell you to put on there...) which part of the case is it on? The front, the beige metal top, or the black part? I know that the beige paint on top will actually smudge a bit with rubbing alcohol.

FYI - I deleted some posts that should have been Private Messages instead.

If you have a question or a comment for the seller that is not of general interest to the rest of the forum then it belongs in a private message.

Basically you want to wrap the computer in a little bubble wrap then put it in a big, sturdy box with some packing peanut already in it, then fill the box up the rest of the way with packing peanuts. That's the professional way of doing it anyway.

And, sorry to say, a guaranteed way of destroying the thing during transport.
Anything heavy will be at the bottom with useless peanuts floating above.
It also does not keep the content from moving freely inside the box.

Either use multiple layers of taped bubble wrap - as much as needed to fix it snugly in the box- or I've used foamed polystyrene 1" sheets to cover the sides and then fill up all he gaps.
Make sure nothing can move.
The monitor is risky anyway, no matter how tight you pack it, the tube might rattle inside the casing and break from its bearings.
Face down seems least risky.. with the wild assumption the postal service will acknowledge any up/down side for the box anyway..

I always let FedEx pack the Multisyncs I have been shipping lately. They're heavy, 40 pound beasts and every one has arrived OK.

And, sorry to say, a guaranteed way of destroying the thing during transport.
Anything heavy will be at the bottom with useless peanuts floating above.
It also does not keep the content from moving freely inside the box.

Well that's how UPS/Fedex will pack it, that's how I pack them, and that's how I tell people to pack things and I've yet to have something show up at my door or arrive at it's destination damaged when packed like that. Even my IBM 5153 ,which are the bane of anyone trying to get one shipped and arrive intact, showed up just fine. UPS used the same method to pack my Apple II. The peanuts will not 'float' if you put enough in the box and big objects won't sink in them.

To the OP: I missed the part about you including the monitor. You'll want to box it separately and the keyboard/desktop together.

Well that's how UPS/Fedex will pack it, that's how I pack them, and that's how I tell people to pack things and I've yet to have something show up at my door or arrive at it's destination damaged when packed like that. Even my IBM 5153 ,which are the bane of anyone trying to get one shipped and arrive intact, showed up just fine. UPS used the same method to pack my Apple II. The peanuts will not 'float' if you put enough in the box and big objects won't sink in them.

To the OP: I missed the part about you including the monitor. You'll want to box it separately and the keyboard/desktop together.

I guess that maybe sounded a bit more harsh than I meant it - I just have some bad experiences with it; both with peanut packaging and the UPS's of this world.
So thats why I now try to pack expecting they just shove the package off the ramp of C-130.

Operation ID! Back in the 80's that's what they wanted you to do put your SSN on your valuable items. I have a TRS-80 with someone's SSN on it. Gonna sand if off and repaint it. I know this is slightly off topic.

I wholeheartedly agree with Jorg here. Packing peanuts are not suitable for heavier items.

If you think about the way a CRT device was packaged when new from the factory, the packaging is designed so that it is not allowed to move at all. Any form of movement inside of the box risks internal damage to the device, such as shearing the tube from the mounting posts which all too often are molded plastic. Peanuts crush too easily and allow for the movement.

I shipped a PCjr monitor to Sweden a month ago. I used a box within a box. I shipped it with the monitor sitting in its normal orientation, not face down - I figured that it was designed to sit in the normal orientation so that is how it should be the strongest. The monitor was tight within the box to avoid movement. Then that box went in a second box, with another 1.5 to 2 inches of additional polystyrene. The second box was insurance against drops and dents. :)

Another key thing to consider is shipping time. The less time the package is "in the system" the less it gets handled and moved. And the safer it probably is as a result.

I have never shipped a computer before; There is a UPS store close to me. Is it advisable to let someone at the UPS place pack up the system? Would you want the books for WP 5.1 and Lotus 123? The programs are on the HD, but I don't have the disks any more.

When I bought the system in 1984, the local police were saying people should mark their high-value items with name and SS#. So I borrowed an engraver and put my info on the system unit and the monitor. To remove my info would take some of the paint off. I could leave it as is, but I'm nervous about doing that. What would you prefer?

Etch out your SS number. You can get your id stolen.

Sean

Operation ID! Back in the 80's that's what they wanted you to do put your SSN on your valuable items. I have a TRS-80 with someone's SSN on it. Gonna sand if off and repaint it. I know this is slightly off topic.

Yep. My Guess is there was a switch from SSN because of ID Theft and the fact that SSNs ae much more important these days then the early 80s.

SSI being etched on items used to be very common.

When everyone paid by check, we all had out SSI printed on the front of the check.

Back