• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Can anyone identify this card?

int 21h

Experienced Member
Hi all,

I recently got another IBM 5150 (a later revision this time, 64-256kb edition) which had the top shell of a 5161; needless to say I was slightly disappointed it wasn't one in the end! :p

Anyway I am not sure what type of card this is; I couldn't find a thing about it on Google. I am assuming it's a display card, but I am not sure what type? It's a 32MHz crystal.

I can't confirm, but also think these cards do terminal emulation - hence the RJ11 plug.

Very little info out there though.

A genuine IBM EGA adaptor can sell for a decent price, not sure about this one.

CGA ???

Looks like a multi-connector network card to me... but since it IS microchannel, I cant consider myself the 'expert'...

2 'thinwire' (RG52) connectors,
1 twisted-pair connector,
and one of IBMs 'proprietary' types... Im sorry that I don't remember what it was called.

... but as I said, I could be wrong.
:D

Maybe it's a combo card networking/CGA?
I'm almost positive that these RG52 connectors are for video, but I don't know why there would be a RJ11 jack on there unless as was stated before it was for terminal emulation or some thing of the sort involving data transfers?
I'm gonna stop speculating for now:D

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys!
CGA? Fair enough! I'll go on the hunt for one of them monitors soon.. It must be the video, there isn't another card in the machine with a video-looking port. (only other cards are a small hard drive controller, floppy, Quadram Quadboard & the card in question above!)

The RJ port *might* be a light pen interface - not uncommon for the era.

EDIT: or, considering the BNCs... it might control a laser disc.

Keep your eye on ebay UK / IE, The IBM 5153 CGA monitor's turn up now and again, The last 5153 i watched sold for just 0.99p don't get into a bidding war with anyone though.

CGA? Fair enough! I'll go on the hunt for one of them monitors soon..)

Is it possible to plug those 2 thinwire connectors into a composite port on a TV? I think I'v seen those type ports used on the DVR at work...

Only if you know those are composite video outs. If it's not 75Ω video, then you obviously won't get any sort of picture. I dunno if it would damage the TV or the card.

Back