• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Installing an extra cooling fan in a mac

habibrobert

Hello,

I just upgraded a hard drive in my color classic and I have noticed that the hard drive runs very hot. I was looking at some HDD cooling fans on the internet. I found some that are two fans that mount onto the hard drive. They seem like nice compact fans. However, I am a little worried about overworking the power supply by installing a new fan. I am not sure how much extra voltage I have to play with. Does anyone know if this would over work the power supply?

Unless you're installing a server grade fan I doubt power will be an issue, the 120mm LED fans in my desktop only use 2.4W on the 12V rail at full power, which I doubt will have much of an effect at all on the power supply, I've ran similar fans on 9V batteries just fine.

The color classic should have a fan already. Personally, if you are gung-ho about making it cooler inside, I'd upgrade the existing fan before I hack something else.

Personally, if you are gung-ho about making it cooler inside, I'd upgrade the existing fan before I hack something else.

This. If you just add an internal hard drive fan without improving the airflow in/out of the case, you're just going to end up recirculating hot air around the hard drive, which isn't really going to help anything.

Back