• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple II Thrift Store Find. (Image heavy)

TheAtma

I found some great Apple II hardware at GoodWill today, all in their original packaging with associated literature. In total I paid about 7$.

I'm curious what these items may be worth. Could I get some input from the community?

Wildcard -

Apple II Super Serial Card -

AppleMouse II (No disk) -

AppleMouse IIe -

QuadLink by Quadram -

VisiSchedule (No disks) -

Very nice :) I'd guess the mouse is probably pretty uncommon/rare, especially in the box. The only other one I'm familiar with which isn't rare but IS very useful and high demand is the super serial card. With that you can flip the little resistor pack and use ADTPro to image and recreate Apple disks from your PC and a null modem cable. Not sure about rarity or anything but the Wildcard seems pretty cool at least :)

Awesome find! Especially the Wildcard, and the Quadlink. If I remember correctly, the Quadlink is an Apple II on a card that fits into a slot in an IBM (or clone) and allows you to run Apple software on your PC. Today you can just use software emulators, but back in the day Quadlink was the way to go. I am not sure of the value but they are not easy to find.

My estimates:

Original Wild Card: $50+ (if it were a Wild Card II, $150+; Wild Card copies memory to floppy. Can copy most copy protected software.)
Super Serial Card: $20+ (pretty common, even boxed and new; prices very wildly)
Apple Mouse II: $80+
Apple Mouse IIe: $100+ (same as II, but also works with //c & Macintosh)
Quadlink: $75+? (prices are all over the place on eBay. Apple II on an AT PC.)
VisiSchedule: $??? Haven't a clue.

All in all, an excellent find. I'd be interested in trading for either of your mouses (mice?) if you decide to part with any of that stuff.

Thanks for the replies! There was more vintage hardware/software, but they were in the bulk section of GoodWill. That area is open for about 2 hours a day, and crowds of people rush in. Essentially the room is full of 30 or so bins filled to the brim with junk, and everything sells for 40 cents per pound. After an extended period of digging, I was able to find some pretty good stuff. However, the vast majority of the people grab at things haphazardly and aggressively, so a lot of items in their packaging become separated from said packaging. There were crushed circuit boards and diskettes, along with shredded boxes everywhere. What I posted in this thread is all the stuff I managed to rescue. Who knows what else was buried beneath the garbage. In their frenzy to find old McDonald's toys worth a dollar or two, they destroy vintage, perfectly functional hardware potentially worth hundreds. How's that for irony?

Very nice finds, if it was payday I would be all over the Wildcard and Mouse II and IIe ;-)

All in all, an excellent find. I'd be interested in trading for either of your mouses (mice?) if you decide to part with any of that stuff.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I don't know if this is the right place, but I'll consider offers sent to my inbox.

I'd like to know what area you're in. My GoodWill has never had anything like this (Chicago west suburbs).

I'm actually in Albuquerque New Mexico. If you can deal with hoards of rude, pushy people, you could potentially find really good stuff. Often the stuff I'm after is pretty obscure, and most people don't give it a second thought. Thriftstores can yield some incredible finds.

I'd like to know what area you're in. My GoodWill has never had anything like this (Chicago west suburbs).

Likewise, I have never seen anything in the Northern Minneapolis suburbs GoodWills or thrift stores.

EDIT, looks like I posted almost the same time as the reply from OP ;-)

So this is a Goodwill Outlet store? (that's what they call the dumpster bucket store(s) in Austin) where everyone rushes the line as soon as it opens and throws stuff in carts then professionals go on line and price compare it to see if it's a profit. They sell clothes and appliances by the pound at that store (I think there are two) in Austin. While the majority is complete crap (broken appliances and pretty much trash) the clothes are interesting as long as you aren't looking for jeans. Walked out of there with 4 pairs of short for around $6 before when I was bored and theoretically was looking for DC adapters for a vintage device that I could chop up.

So this is a Goodwill Outlet store?

Yeah, that's exactly what it's called.

A lot of the stuff in the bins haven't even been on the store floor yet. This product could be sold for ten times the amount, but is put straight into the bins. I assume they shovel in their donation overflow without filtering through it. One time I found an mid 70s Yamaha receiver with a really nice pair of early 90s Pioneer speakers. They cleaned up great, and produce excellent sound quality. I'm quite proud of them.

Goodwill has large Outlet and even Electronics Surplus stores in some states. In my immediate area, we don't have any nice large Goodwills. They're basically just small buildings with donation centers that get shipped to one of their main hubs elsewhere.

Goodwill has large Outlet and even Electronics Surplus stores in some states. In my immediate area, we don't have any nice large Goodwills. They're basically just small buildings with donation centers that get shipped to one of their main hubs elsewhere.
I think the closest one is in San Francisco...

I'm here in Albuquerque. As some of you may know, Albuquerque is the birthplace of the Altair 8800. I would think that I have a higher chance in this city to find one in a yardsale, thriftstore, or salvage junk pile. One can only dream though.

About an hour too far. I'll stick to WeirdStuff and Excess Solutions. :)

Weird stuff is awesome, but its mostly newer stuff that is being thrown away from local companies, so most stuff is less than 10 years old. They do have cool anti static soldering mats for $20 bucks. And I'm kicking myself for not grabbing one when I was there a couple of weeks back.

Cheers,
Corey

Back