• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Enable for DOS

Hi all - just joined today. I will apologize in advance for any cross postings. My company used Enable back in the day - have all the program files on big ole floppys. My company is trying to transfer data from enable to access. We have archaeological data that we would like to deposit at tDAR (the digital antiquities record) but need some way to upload the data files. Does anyone know of somewhere i could get a cd with the enable program? Once this is done I will give the floppys to anyone who wants them - if there is such a person! thanks!

no enable bUTI have q&a plus 3 or 4 729k floppies
word processor but a flat file database
will convert to other formats
and I have the addition al file to add printers. should be fine on really old computers. no spreadsheet.
BY THE WAY get dxp disk express
it will take a floppy with subdirs and make an image comporesased
even bootable disks
creates a ese file and nothing is needed to re-create the floppy
just run the exe file

I have 4.0 there was a 5.0 but only sold in germany. it is strictly dod bases

I never though i would come across a forum with anyone who had used this program!

I'm really hoping someone may be able to help me with it now.

I have a client who uses Enable on 4 machines. Two are XP and two are Windows 7 64 Bit

I have been able to get Enable to run between them all sharing one database by using DosBox on the win 7 machines and having custom Enable shortcuts, that part was easy. Here are my two issues though.

In the Database, a new order can be created and saved but about 6% of the time the order doesn't appear to be available after saving. The record number count increases by one but if you try to access the order it comes back with no record exists. Try and recreate the order with the same order number and it states that it is a duplicate.

Second issue is printers. It ill not save the default printer setting of LPT1, always reverts to LPT2

The prize for the user who can resolve this is a ZIP file of the entire Enable program.

Kent,

I have been looking for days now to find someone that still has a copy of the "Enable" suite. I have a number of files I made in the 80's with the word processor portion of this suite that I would really like to find a way to get them open again with all the formatting that is embedded in them. Do you still have a copy of the program?

Kent,

I have been looking for days now to find someone that still has a copy of the "Enable" suite. I have a number of files I made in the 80's with the word processor portion of this suite that I would really like to find a way to get them open again with all the formatting that is embedded in them. Do you still have a copy of the program?

You can see all the current communications between a small group of users at http://www.thogscave.org/mailman/listinfo/enableoa

I was just recently given a copy of Enable Educational Version 2.0. Came in a binder with command reference card and what looks like seven 360k 51/2" disks.

Attachments

• Enable cover.jpg
    Enable cover.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Enable disks.JPG
    Enable disks.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Enable ref.JPG
    Enable ref.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I was just recently given a copy of Enable Educational Version 2.0. Came in a binder with command reference card and what looks like seven 360k 51/2" disks.

UGHHH!!!! at Thogs there is a copy of version 4.5 (the latest build) in an extractable file.

Hey that's cool.

It's interesting going though the manual. Like the name of Chapter 2- A FLYING LEAP, basicly an introduction to the various applications. A very well thought out suite of programs. For those interested the Educational Version 2.0, published in 1988, appears to be the complete suite but with no technical support. It relied on a tutor/instructor to provide that if needed. The tutor/instructor could liase directly with John Wiley and Sons support staff.

Found some screen shots http://www.danielsays.com/ss-gallery-dos-enable-20.html

Last edited:
I was introduced to Enable while in college backin the mid 80's. It was more than likely that exact version as I do recall it being 2.0. The University version I was given a copy of had limits of something in the area of 200 records in a DBF, some sort of line max in SSF, etc. But was the first of it's kind to integrate a suite of programs that worked so well together. I wish I had gotten more training back in the 90's on how to utilize it's features more!!

EnableOA network file fix

EnableOA network file fix

I never though i would come across a forum with anyone who had used this program!

I'm really hoping someone may be able to help me with it now.

I have a client who uses Enable on 4 machines. Two are XP and two are Windows 7 64 Bit

I have been able to get Enable to run between them all sharing one database by using DosBox on the win 7 machines and having custom Enable shortcuts, that part was easy. Here are my two issues though.

In the Database, a new order can be created and saved but about 6% of the time the order doesn't appear to be available after saving. The record number count increases by one but if you try to access the order it comes back with no record exists. Try and recreate the order with the same order number and it states that it is a duplicate.

Second issue is printers. It ill not save the default printer setting of LPT1, always reverts to LPT2

The prize for the user who can resolve this is a ZIP file of the entire Enable program.

Hi Kevin,
By now you may have given up and found something else, but for those that may have the same problem I remember something about the cache not writing to disc properly so try following this link to fix the cache;
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/278335-32-windows-delayed-write-failed

PS: If anyone has or knows were or how I can get Enable/OA please let me know with a message here or through FB at - https://www.facebook.com/Tony.Waldron.AU

Thank you :p

Last edited:
Last edited:
There was MS Office 95 but I think you'll find it was released about a decade after Wordstar 2000.

Last edited:
There was some discussion with the person who was running the Enable page on Thogscave, but it never concluded, and it appears the site is now down. Does anyone have the media for Enable that I could get my hands on?

You'll have to go back a few decades before that to find the first computer application with a year in its title -- FORTRAN 66:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran#FORTRAN_66

I remember Fortran compilers being marketed as Fortran IV (despite actually being Fortran 66) until the development of Fortran 77 caused the older implementations to be more clearly identified with the 66 moniker. Other languages that used the year heavily in marketing were Algol-68 and Smalltalk 80.

Yes, I remember Enable. We used it at the United States Military Academy in the early 80's. If anyone is interested, I have a book, "Using Enable, 2nd Edition," that I would like to give to someone who has a need/use for it.
Bart

Back