• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What keyboards are compatible with the IBM XT

Chromedome45

Veteran Member
title pretty much says it all. I have an XT which has the latest BIOS which should support 101 key AT type keyboard. But the one I have (the only one) throws a 301 error at start up. I noticed it has the Windows keys which probably shouldn't make any difference. But I don't know for sure. Maybe I can try to find an older non windows AT and see if it works? Any help appreciated it. Hopefully it's not something
on the motherboard.

It needs to support the XT protocol/signals. The latest BIOS doesn't let you use AT keyboards, just better 101 key support.
The keyboard controller chip itself changed when IBM released the AT, and as time went on "XT support" got dropped on keyboards.

Some models, like the IBM Model M, will auto-detect it's an XT and change modes, but most 101 key XT keyboards I've seen have a physical "AT / XT" switch on the bottom and are from the late 80's. I've bought entire boxes of keyboards before just to get one or two that had the switch (hopefully they're easier to find for you guys).

Last edited:
Frank, how is it that you don't have a Model M? You have everything else. And everybody else here seems to have at least one. Where were you when the Model Ms were passed out? :)

One of the good old standbys for switching keyboards were the Honeywell/Keytronic 101WN models. Honeywell sold a raft of them, so there still might be a few around yet. I think I still have a couple.

Stone: I did have one but sold it! yeah stupid me.

Al: help a fellow TRS-80 lover out here think you could pass one this way? For a nominal fee?

Chuck: if Al can't help out would you part with one of them? also for a nominal fee?

Modem 7: I was looking at that and I would need to get all the parts togther. Unless there are some built ones laying around.

The Model M 1390120 I can tell you for sure works on PCs and XTs as they're made for the XTs, hence their lack of LEDs. I haven't tested other Model Ms, however I have heard they will work.

Well good news bad news. Bad news I won't be needing a keyboard after all. Good news I fixed mine. Bad cap and reheated many solder joints.
so it lives again. The Keyboard that is!

Back