• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Wyse WY-60 terminal

PhilipA

Experienced Member
All,

These terminals have been like buses. Wait forever, then two come along at once.

I now own two non-functional Wyse WY-60 terminals. One is literally all burned up around the flyback. Looks like either it took a lightning strike, surge, or the insulation on the flyback let go and it shorted itself out. Either way, that board is "toasted" beyond repair, as the fiberglass is even all burned up. The power supply makes an unhappy switch-mode whine when powered up (it's burned, figured I might as well try).

The other one doesn't do very much of anything at all. I've managed to find the service manual for it, which is good as it has the schematic (which is horrible to read) but doesn't include much in the way of real troubleshooting data (what voltages should be present where, for instance).

The three test points (+5, +12, -12) are all dead. There's some kinda low resistances on the board around the power rails so I spent a bit of time last night pulling the electrolytics off the board one by one to see if I could find what's causing the short, to no avail.

I might just "shotgun" the board with new electrolytics anyway. These terminals lived their life switched on, displaying nothing at work. The phosphor on the screen shows no sign of burn. Figuring once I've got power back, HT should be the next step, then maybe signs of life from the electronics.

Anyone got one of these? It's like the Honda Civic of terminals. Nicely designed to be worked on inside, also.

--Phil

--Phil

Played with a lot of WY-50s, but not the 60s. The first sounds like the classic case of FBT death--a small arc between windings develops and just gets worse and worse. You might want to check the HOT on the second. It's not uncommon for those to fail short.

I shall.

I only have 31 Ohms to ground on the +12V rail. Seems a little low? I'm not sure if the power supply is oscillating, I've not put a scope near it yet.

--Phil

Actually, the HOPT on this shouldn't bring all the rails down, just +12, but I don't know the flyback's resistance through the coils that lead to the HOPT

I'll check it out, and if not I'm leaning toward the comparator or the isolation feedback IC as being suspect. Wait in the aisles to laugh and point when I'm proven wrong by the voice of experience :)

--Phil

Last edited:
It wasn't one of the IC's, but the problem was in the power supply feedback circuit. One resistor had gone open circuit. Replaced it:

20130830_184245 by renault9gta, on Flickr

It's alive, sort of. I've got bad screen fold-over which is going to be bad electrolytics.
Either way, progress :)

Edit: Okay, so that's what's at the top, not at the bottom. Never used one of these before, didn't see the info bar and stuff comes up at the TOP... so that's just flyback rollover and it's bad caps. That much I can fix.

--Phil

Last edited:
Changed out a few caps in the vertical circuit, but no improvement.

Had a poke about and noticed that the +12 and -12 rails are at about +10 and -11 respectively with the +5 set correctly... Should have checked that first

--Phil

Back