• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

WANT - A few gaming systems

Smack2k

Veteran Member
Looking for these consoles for my collection, figured I'd toss the list on here in case anyone has any of them:

Working or Non-Working is fine also as I like fixing them where needed

Sega Power Base Converter
Sega Master System II

NES Top Loader
SNES Model 2

Atari Jaguar
Jaguar CD

PC Engine
Turbo Grafx 16
Turbo CD

Neo Geo
Neo Geo CD

Thanks!

A few notes, both for yourself and anyone that comes across this in the future:

There are multiple versions of the PC Engine, both under that name as well as other names (Core Grafx, Core Grafx II, PC Engine Shuttle, etc)

The TG16 CD modules are breaking down at this point... there's a problem with the laser and alignment (an easy, if time-consuming and tedious fix), and also with some plastic gears that are breaking. Someone on pcenginefx was working on replacements, but I'm unaware if anyone ever got that far.

Pretty much the entire Turbo Duo line, both the US and Japanese variants, suffer from bad caps. If you get one of those (and it'll cost you an arm and a leg), do be prepared to recap the motherboard (it's all SMT aluminum cans). Ditto on the Turbo Express/GT handheld systems. If you don't recap the board, you can/will have problems with both audio and video, and of course, the electrolytic will eventually damage your motherboard. So far as I know, the Turbo Grafx 16 and PCEngine systems don't suffer from this.

The new PAL Turbografx units you see on eBay are pretty and they play NTSC games natively (i.e. you need to region mod it to play Japanese hucards). But they will not play NTSC games at full speed due to the 50hz PAL standard (NTSC is 60hz). While a look at the motherboard indicates that these are simply modified NTSC boards, no one has yet been able to reverse the 50hz modification to set the board back at 60hz operation. In addition, RGB/S-Video mods for this system differ significantly from all other mods. All this in mind, I'm still quite tempted to pick one up :)

The cheapest entry into this arena is typically a TurboGrafx16 system with gamepad and PS (figure $60 USD range). TG-CD will usually tag on another $100 USD. Then game prices vary. Mods are out there for tapping RGB and S-Video, though the RGB will require an amplifier circuit (these aren't difficult on the NTSC TG16 systems, though it gets slightly more hairy on the Japanese counterparts). Region-switch and switchless mods exist for playing both NTSC and Japanese hucards on the NTSC systems - these mods are slightly more hairy (lot of solder points).

PCEngine systems purchased from within the US typically pull a premium. In many cases, it's almost cheaper to just order one from a Japanese seller and just pay the shipping.

There are flash cards available for these systems as well that support patching games via software to work in either region system (in some cases, this is a small switch on the flash card itself)

Yeah, good info for everyone...

My thing is more of the consoles themselves to collect. If they work great, if not...I enjoy fixing them so getting broken ones isnt a bad thing either...those are the last systems I need for my collection as I have the rest (even different versions of the same consoles...)

As far as playability...not totally concerned...I can emulate the games if needed...I am just a console collector. The Vintage Computer side is where I get more into using the systems and building them right.

the PC Engine and Turbo Grafx are really the same system.

Another thing of note are the Jaguar CD's. They also dont work well and its hard to find working ones period. They also cost a premium.

Yes, that makes two of us! I too am looking for the same items, especially the Jaguar CD and PC Engine. If anyone happens to have a few lying in their basement collecting dust, please let us know...

A store in town called Game Over Videogames (they do have a website also and will ship) usually has them for sale (if in stock and not just the one on the shelf) but their prices are high. I imagine you all probably have similar opportunities in your own towns for overpriced but local units?

I have a spare boxed Sega master System converter, a SMSII, a SNES model 2,a Jaguar,a Turbografx 16 & turbografx 16 cd, and a Laseractive player with the sega pack . But I don't know if I want to part with them just yet. Looks like the prices keep going up with time as many enthusiast join the hobby. Although if the price is right, I'll sell ;) .

As for the sorta obvious suggestion frequent checks on craigslist under video games can also find the best available deal near by or possibly goodwills auction site although that site seems to have a pretty tough crowd that's quite aware of the auctions (rarely ever see any gaming system not get a few bids up to a no longer good deal).

I have a spare boxed Sega master System converter, a SMSII, a SNES model 2,a Jaguar,a Turbografx 16 & turbografx 16 cd, and a Laseractive player with the sega pack . But I don't know if I want to part with them just yet. Looks like the prices keep going up with time as many enthusiast join the hobby. Although if the price is right, I'll sell ;) .

Hmm.. I'm certainly interested in that Laseractive player with the Sega Pack ... and the TBGFX16CD, but let's start with one... Do you think that might be one you would be willing to part with for the right price...? :)

Hmm.. I'm certainly interested in that Laseractive player with the Sega Pack ... and the TBGFX16CD, but let's start with one... Do you think that might be one you would be willing to part with for the right price...? :)
Sure, money talks :D . The Sega Pack has been service (all new caps installed) and it was also modded with a dual bios (its able to play American and Japanese games). One of a kind. This guy did the work about 2 yrs ago. Here's his unit video, although mine has a more dedicated built-in switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyAA7DR-iyM

Try thegamezombie.com and ask if they have Dracula X: Rondo of Blood for PC engine still. :D I"m the fool who traded it in at their Bristol, PA location.

I'm sure they also have hard ware you're looking for, too.:D

Back