• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

OS/2 Warp 3 Connect on an IBM 8570

Springbok

Experienced Member
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has installed OS/2 Warp on an 8570. I have W4W 3.11 installed. While I can connect to the internet using IE5, it takes 5 minutes to load google.com, and then is missing the graphics. I was wondering if OS/2 Warp Connect is worth installing, and if it's internet performance is any better?

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has installed OS/2 Warp on an 8570. I have W4W 3.11 installed. While I can connect to the internet using IE5, it takes 5 minutes to load google.com, and then is missing the graphics. I was wondering if OS/2 Warp Connect is worth installing, and if its internet performance is any better?

A 386 is not suitable for Internet access anymore, regardless of what software you use.

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has installed OS/2 Warp on an 8570. I have W4W 3.11 installed. While I can connect to the internet using IE5, it takes 5 minutes to load google.com, and then is missing the graphics. I was wondering if OS/2 Warp Connect is worth installing, and if it's internet performance is any better?
No it's not.

Web Explorer is a great browser and probably the fastest browser at the time it was made. It is also 15 years old and doesn't support a lot of the features expected in the modern web. Google's web page relies on frames which Web Explorer knows nothing about. I know that WarpZilla requires about 30MB of memory which I think is more than your 8570 has and even that is a browser more than 10 years old.

Make web not completely awful on a 386: Use a text browser or go to the mobile variant of the web site. Phones have a lot less CPU power than a current PC and the mobile web site is thus much simplified. It will still be very sluggish since the 386 has less than 10% of the performance of even a weak smartphone. If the JavaScript takes a couple of seconds with current browser on current system, it could take more like 15 minutes to process with a 386. Then there is the problem of swapping. Many web pages include images that are larger than 1 MB each. IIRC, your 8570 has 6 MB of RAM. Web pages won't fit in the RAM you have.

Maybe you can try one of the Geocities salvage domains and find sites built during the dial-up era that will provide a more suitable browsing experience.

Another option to consider is using Remote Desktop, VNC, or an X-Windowing system to connect to a machine with enough horsepower to run a "modern" web browser.

A quad core and gigs of ram just to render a few lines of text.... ugh.

Hey guys,

Spring:

Other than for the challenge, which is why most of us love to fool with vintage/semi-vintage PC's anyway, why would anyone want to climb on today's IE with a primitive browser? I have a PIII tweener running at 1.4 MHz, uses IE8 under Xp, and it's still slow as molasses on a winter day. However, I can see why you might want to jump on BBS in DOS, if that's your pleasure.

internet explorer 5 should still be able to render mobile websites. Try punching in m.google.com
If you get warp running there is a way to run a version of firefox on there as well.

Back