• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

IBM 5160 + 5161 For Sale

Selling (and buying) things on eBay is often very frustrating and difficult. Hopefully this works out.

Why not just run the PC/XT diags on it? I did that, and got good money - stated guarantee was only that it would work as described when received, and no guarantees after that. I mean, saying it's all complete and worked a while back and should work now.... plainly, the machine is broken!!

Those of us here know you can test it. But to 'strangers' on eBay it's a different story. And it seems that if you label something on eBay 'as is' it is generally assumed to be non-functional. So it's in your best interest not to describe it with that terminology unless you really feel that it is non-functional. If you really want to get your price you should put a disk in it and then turn it on. :) OTOH, if you know it to be defective in booting to DOS then your current description is good enough. :)
Well, the system currently doesn't have a disk controller installed and I simply haven't had the time lately to dig up my floppy controller and test it with the system. I'll try to soon but until then I can't be completely certain it still boots into dos properly.

"it has not been tested to boot into DOS so I am not responsible for it's functionality beyond booting into BASIC off the internal ROM." -- This is pretty damning, IMO. This is a real turn-off to a buyer as it says you didn't spend one minute to put a disk in and see if it boots. As the DOS disks are included in the auction, and are sitting right next to the system in the picture, I would suggest you test it booting to DOS and then amend the auction description.

Well, the system currently doesn't have a disk controller installed and I simply haven't had the time lately to dig up my floppy controller and test it with the system. I'll try to soon but until then I can't be completely certain it still boots into dos properly.

The fact that it doesn't have/include a disk controller is not mentioned in the auction description. I would consider that a fairly significant omission. You should either include one with the auction and test it, or you should amend the description so that it is clear no floppy disk controller is included (and then of course you wouldn't have to test it).

Well, I plan to install One before the auction ends, I just dont presently have time to.

You're putting the cart before the horse. You'd be much better off getting organized before you advertise something, dontcha' think? :)

Unfortunately, time isn't a luxury I can afford right now. I need the extra money ASAP and if that means I can't do all the testing that would make the listing more complete then I'm just going to have to do without it. However, if I have some spare time, I'll definitely put in the work.

I hope you realize that selling something on eBay the way you're going about it can cost you bigtime. You've also got shipping listed as $3.95 to my location. I realize I'm only 150 miles or so away but 50 - 75 pounds for $3.95? EBay is not all that seller friendly, as you well know. I'd be very careful.

eBay is a seller's worst nightmare so I would proceed with utmost care & caution. I would also put a hefty shipping & handling amount on the item. It is worth it. Good luck.

It literally takes 5 minutes to take the cover off, install the controller, put the cover back on, and boot the system. I know, because I did that exact same operation this past weekend. I am willing to bet that it has taken you more time to respond to all these (valid) comments than it would have taken to actually do the task....

Something smells very fishy here.... just saying.

The reason I hadn't tested it with DOS yet is because I'm currently in the process of moving, and the computer's one of the last things still at my old house. I've been spending my time at the new apartment, however about an hour ago I decided to make the trip to go retrieve it. I've got it now and I'm about to start a more thorough testing. We'll see how things turn out.

I tested it and updated the listing with the results. Spoiler alert: it runs DOS 2.1 perfectly. I guess that fish smell wasn't me :)

Ooooh :) Did the 1 bid come before or after the update? This is the fun part where everyone acts uninterested until the last 4 minutes of the auction. Did you update the shipping? On the bright side it now says it'd be $60 something instead of $4 to get to TX but seems low in my head.

That bid was before. It does appear to be getting a bit of interest though, there's quite a few watchers and it's inly been up for a day or so :) I indeed have updated the shipping, I'm quite glad someone mentioned that it was set to $3. That's what I get for rushing when I created the listing! :oops: Oh well, now that I've gotten everything straightened out I guess we'll see how things play out.

...[snip]...Oh well, now that I've gotten everything straightened out I guess we'll see how things play out.

I don't know how often you sell stuff on ebay, but as someone already mentioned earlier it is NOT seller friendly. EBay will charge their listing and commision at the end of your billing cycle, regardless of whether you got your funds or not from PayPal so be prepared for that. Be aware that if you get a non paying bidder (didn't see that you put a time limit in your listing), there are deadlines to open cases and close them, otherwise you get stuck paying the fees. And you CAN'T leave negative feedback for a non-paying buyer or any buyer for that matter - really sucks! It's mostly smooth deals, but every now and then it can get nasty. Keep a watchful eye and do things promptly as soon as the bidding frenzy stops.

best of luck...

Wow, that went super cheap! I was expecting it to hit around $600 at least for everything. But that is eBay. Sometimes people will pay over $100 for stupid dust cover and sometimes a real gem goes cheap!

I'd be interested in knowing how much it ended up costing you to ship it. eBay was setting my S&H at $60 to Ca. I am guessing each of the computers and the monitors (if properly packed) would be $25-$30. Add books, signature delivery confirmation, and insurance and you are looking at $100 minimum in total.

That did not go that high indeed. After eBay / PayPal / USPS (FedEx / UPS) circa $250 is the net rake probably.

Wow. Yeah.

US $305.00 [ 2 bids ]
Shipping: $69.95 Standard Shipping

Anyone here get it by chance?

Back