• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Vintage value!

I would worry about a HD that has sticky heads from never being used. Somebody on Ebay buying it thinking it is new and having booting issues is sure to file a claim.

IMO if you buy a new computer off of ebay that is vintage, expecting it to work, even if its brand new, near new, kind of new, newish, is rather stupid on the buyers part.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
I would worry about a HD that has sticky heads from never being used. Somebody on Ebay buying it thinking it is new and having booting issues is sure to file a claim.

IMO if you buy a new computer off of ebay that is vintage, expecting it to work, even if its brand new, near new, kind of new, newish, is rather stupid on the buyers part.
No, with eBay's policies, it's stupid on the seller's part 'cause the seller can't win this dispute. :)

I like your thinking!

Personally; I think everyone in the Vintage Computer Forums has to be at least a little bit crazy, and I'm sure I fit perfectly into the upper echelons in the looney bin.. . Why else would we actively look for old computers that haven't been in production for 0ver 36 years; work to get them working like new, or even better, and then refurbish and outfit them with parts and peripherals we couldn't even come close to affording back when they were first introduced? Even my wife, who supports my vintage computer hobby, and activities, calls me crazy, but at the same time, she tells me that she would rather have my fill a room with old computers, then just sitting in front of the TV days on end.

So, As long as Kris supports me, I'll maintain my crazy!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Unknown_K

No, with eBay's policies, it's stupid on the seller's part 'cause the seller can't win this dispute. :)

Can the Seller state, no testing has been done, as is?

Can the Seller state, no testing has been done, as is?
Yes, I believe you can state it's NIB, never been used, and all that rot in the description but it has to be listed as not working or for parts due to its age. You can still ask a lot for it. Maybe someone will take a chance on it. Or, you could plug it in and see what happens. Then, if it works you can sell it as new and just tested recently to be sure it works.

If the original seal on the box is open I'd test it. If it's NEVER been out of the box and original seals in place then no. If the seals been broken someone could have checked it out years ago and put it back that's mint+++

If it still package on the inside looks undisturbed I would also leave it.

framer

Keep in mind that being non-functional very well might be the reason something went unused. It's easy to imagine someone pulling out a machine, seeing that it doesn't work, and then setting it aside for service that never happens.

And I hate the excuse "due to age". How is an out of warranty, unsupported, untested, one year old item any different from a thirty year old item? "As is" is "as is".

Just remember, that on eBay, 'as is' in the item's description does not protect the seller from a buyer's action on an item that is *not* listed as 'not working or for parts'. Only if you sell your item that way are you protected from having the possibility of a buyer pursuing an action.

An excellent cond, boxed 5170 would be worth $300 minimum. On ebay.com I'd expect to get between 3-400+ $US, but I'd set a minimum on something like this. Shipping is the problem and you'll be limited if you're out in Gibip where shipping to customers is expensive. No idea where you are located. I would like to have a boxed 5170 myself.

There *is* someone on earth trolling ebay right now who'd pay $500 for a boxed 5170 IMHO.

If I would have a new in box 5170 I would rather want to know what the value of my old machine would be. Just unbox it and use it :D unless you don't have anything to eat and have sold all your other stuff already.

Keep in mind that being non-functional very well might be the reason something went unused. It's easy to imagine someone pulling out a machine, seeing that it doesn't work, and then setting it aside for service that never happens.

And I hate the excuse "due to age". How is an out of warranty, unsupported, untested, one year old item any different from a thirty year old item? "As is" is "as is".

Yeah I bought a brand new in box VGA display, turned out it was left in the box because the screen mask was damaged when new and was made by the company that was using it - so they weren't really fussed about returning it, just left it in storage. Pretty colours though! (thankfully only cost $1).

As someone mentioned above me, I think if the seals are broken on the box, test it.

Back