• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Article "Surfing the Web on a Mac Plus"

When I was first learning how code in HTML, this one site was one I referred to when I was trying to learn how to make thumbnails. (Actually I still don't know how to make them, I merely just copy code from other instances and then change the link code.)

The text follows below:

A Final Thought On Images
Images are great, no doubt, but remember that the majority of people surfing the net are still dial-up users running 14.4 and 28.8 modems. Pages will load only as fast as your server gives and the modem accepts. Here are a few tips:
  • Be kind. Offering a 100K image in JPEG format will take upwards of a minute to load at 28.8. Go as small as you can.
  • Use .gif format for icons and small images.
  • Use JPEG for larger and more detailed images.
  • Go for content not flash. A page with 30 images, java, and animation is impressive, but so is the ability to put three billiard balls in your mouth at the same time. Both get old after a while.
(Source)

True. All true. Except the 14.4K and 28.8K part. :crazy: I actually chuckled a bit when I read the billiard ball part.

...and at least Opera still offers a "turbo" mode to "blurry-load" images until you want them at full resolution.

Back in the late '90s I remember seeing some web sites which first loaded the images as 1-bit monochrome, just to get something on the screen quickly, and then the black & white images would be replaced with the full-color images once they finished loading. This was mostly used with clickable image maps, so the quick-loading monochrome images would be full-resolution (if not full-color) and thus readable -- as compared to the interlaced color images, which on a slow connection would stay too pixellated to be readable for quite a while before enough of the data loaded to get a high-res image.

And I have a web page which still says "Please stand by for pictures" on it. Even though broadband Internet has largely rendered that message irrelevant, I keep it up for old times' sake. Once in a while I also still see an image-heavy VWVortex forum post which says "56K users beware" on it!

I recall getting a Powerbook 140B with System 7.1 on the internet back in 2012. It wasn't pretty but it did work.

When I was in college I was surprised to find out that the Mac LC IIIs in the physics lab had Netscape 2.x loaded and were connected to the Internet via LocalTalk. It wasn't really useful for much by then (1999), though.

Back