• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PDP 11/45, Part 2

Hi All;
Roe, Thank You for the offer..
Can You give me some Idea of the Cost of shipping, before I can say "Yes".. I need to make sure I would have the funds to cover it Both ways..
I live in Boulder, Colorado (Zip) 80304..
THANK YOU Marty
I tried to get a job with Lockheed Martin in Boulder many years ago. Very pretty area.
I may have a DL11W too, but am in Maryland so that doesn't help you.

Hi All;
Roe, I sort of thought so, But I wanted to make sure.. "" BTW, regarding my comment about 32k of memory, I should have been more precise. I meant 32kbytes. You have a 16kword memory array == 32kbytes. "" I didn't want You to think that something was Ok, If it actually wasn't..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Tradde, I didn't know that ""Lockheed Martin in Boulder "" had an office in Boulder, Of course that could have been before my time here.. They did have a Big Spread South of Denver.. They were a Big Employer in the South Denver Area in the 1960's and some 1970's, between Contract Lay-offs..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Roe, I have a M873-YA, but I don't know What it is addressed for..
I have asked in the Past If anyone had any information on this Board, But I have had No responses.. When looking on the Internet for this Board I get a response for it from ShireSoft, But, When I emailed Him, I got back that the Email address was No Good.. He mentions it in his page about getting his PDP 11/05-10 going.. http://www.shiresoft.com/pdp-11/11-10/
Other than that, I don't know who to ask that might have that Board..
The other thing I am going to Do is Ohm out the connections for the slot 26 UniBus connection to slot 26 SPC connections, maybe a wire or two is missing.. Anything is possible that could have happened before I got this machine..
I just Found an M9301-YF, I could swap it in place of the M9312, If that would help..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
According to the pdp11 field guide, the m873 is "unibus restart with space for four roms", which won't help at the moment, as I have no idea what it is.

Regardless of the dl11 issues, you seem to have a CPU that will run, and memory that works.

I have not reviewed all the previous posts in these two threads, but I suggest you try the simple memory test, simple processor test, and memory sizing program from "hints on testing a dead pdp-11" (google)

These can all be entered from the front panel, and exercise basic processor and memory functions. Pay particular attention to the addresses in the first column. Some of the DEPs can be done sequentially, some will need LOAD ADDRESS before the DEP.

Let me know if you have questions about switch procedures.

Last edited:
Hi All;
Roe, Yea, I already have and have used "hints on testing a dead pdp-11", I reference it quite often, and Somewhere I have a paper copy of it hanging around.. Some of the Memory programs I tried to run at first, I have not tried since..
""Regardless of the dl11 issues, you seem to have a CPU that will run, and memory that works."" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Tradde, I didn't know that ""Lockheed Martin in Boulder "" had an office in Boulder, Of course that could have been before my time here.. They did have a Big Spread South of Denver.. They were a Big Employer in the South Denver Area in the 1960's and some 1970's, between Contract Lay-offs..
THANK YOU Marty
They're in Boulder, Aurora, Denver, Colorado SPrings, and a few other places.

Hi All;
I have tried the following Program, and it does Run, But I am not sure of His Address at 1006 which He has as '176534' and I have tried it on all of my Boards, both M7856 and M7800.. I have changed the Code at that location to 177566, but is that correct or do I need another/different number ??
This is from ShireSoft..
"" I put an M7800 SLC into the 11/05 hooked to a VT100 to see if I couldn't get it to spit out some characters. The M7800 was set up at address 176530 so as not to conflict with the one on the CPU. I used the following program to send out a sequence of ASCII characters repeatedly:
1000 5000
It worked great! Characters were showing up on the terminal! Now if I could just figure out how to disable the console on the CPU.
I Just though maybe I need to change it to '177564' Is my Thinking Correct ?? Nothing coming out on pin 2..
Do I need to connect pins 4 and 20 that come out of the cable to make it work, I,e.. attach them together to get an output from pin 2 ??
Right Now I am only looking at pin 2 with my scope, looking for Anything..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
Hi All;
I have been meaning to get the code for the two programs on the Internet From BillDeg, (THANK YOU BILL !!!!!!!) and have been Forgetting.. Well,
I copied them down and entered them into my PDP 11/45, I had to Enter the Counter program at another Location (address), But the Program doesn't seem to Mind..
And Both Programs Work Just Fine, They DO seem to Run Faster than what it looks like on the Video, Especially the Chase Program..
I watch the Counting program all the Way thru from '000000' to '177777' and back to '000000' again, Just to maker sure nothing was skipping any bits..
I have taken a Video, But it won't allow me to upload it from my computer, OR I don't know how..
THANK YOU Marty

Last edited:
HI All;
Agent Orange, Thank You for Your Reply..
Don't I need some kind of an account with YouTube before they Let me Upload ???
And If Not How would I go about doing that ??
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I have been meaning to get the code for the two programs on the Internet From BillDeg, (THANK YOU BILL !!!!!!!) and have been Forgetting.. Well,
I copied them down and entered them into my PDP 11/45, I had to Enter the Counter program at another Location (address), But the Program doesn't seem to Mind..
And Both Programs Work Just Fine, They DO seem to Run Faster than what it looks like on the Video, Especially the Chase Program..
I watch the Counting program all the Way thru from '000000' to '177777' and back to '000000' again, Just to maker sure nothing was skipping any bits..
I have taken a Video, But it won't allow me to upload it from my computer, OR I don't know how..
THANK YOU Marty
Excellent. The force is with you.

HI All;
Agent Orange, Thank You for Your Reply..
Don't I need some kind of an account with YouTube before they Let me Upload ???
And If Not How would I go about doing that ??
THANK YOU Marty
You can create an account, there is no charge. I can't explain how to
upload as I am not at my home PC.

Hi All;
Tradde, Thank You for Your Answer, ""You can create an account, there is no charge."" In That case I will look it up on the Internet and see IF I can figure it out..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I got it uploaded, Do I Paste the Link here, or is there another place to do that ??
Also, it has Sound, but I didn't know it was recording sound as well..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I got it uploaded, Do I Paste the Link here, or is there another place to do that ??
Also, it has Sound, but I didn't know it was recording sound as well..
THANK YOU Marty

Marty: Its okay to post the link here.

Back