• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for a 5170 AT

bettablue

Veteran Member
I know I've posted something similar to this previously, but now that I've made my decision as to the direction I want to take my vintage computer collection, I thought I would see what kind of deals I might find with members of VCF.

I am just trying to get a price on an IBM 5170 AT computer. I want it as part of the realignment of my vintage computer collection. I will be parting with the majority of my non-IBM computers including a couple of Commodore 64 systems, TRS-80 Coco, Apple IIe complete with Duodisc and green monochrome tilt monitor, and a Mac SE HDFD with keyboard and mouse. All of these are working computers/systems. It's just that I know the 5170 will be the hardest computer for me to get hold of.

In addition to the 5170, I already have 2 IBM 5150 computers, one with an attached IBM 5161 expansion unit, and a 5160 XT. So that leaves me needing the aforementioned 5170 AT and a PC Jr.

Can someone give me a selling price for a decent IBM 5170 please? I know there are several on E-Bay, but those are definitely not what I would call a selling price. (Why do some people list a computer like the 5170 for multiple times what it's really worth?) Of course, I'll also make a deal with one or more of my other computers to help lower the price.

So, if anyone has a 5170 you are willing to sell, please contact me so we see about making a deal.

Thanks much.

I don't have a 5170 for sale, but I do actually have an extra PCjr that I could sell you if you're interested, just let me know.

bettablue,

Didn't you have a 5170 that you sold off a while back?

Yeah, but that was before I knew what the hell I was doing, and getting myself into. Now, I would like to kick myself in the A _ _ for letting it go, and for the price I sold it for. It wasn't working though, and needed a new mother board. Now that I know more of what I need to do, and get, I'm hoping that I can get one working, or not, as long as it's complete... All the correct parts are there, etc. I can rebuild one if I have a good base to start from. I.e. Hard disc drive, at least one floppy disc drive, either a 360Kb 5.25" drive, or a 3.5" 1.44 Meg, though I would prefer the 5.25" drive. If it has the rear cover plate that's even better.

There's really only one way to learn when you're doing things on your own... That's by trying different things and making the occasional mistake. That was the biggest mistake I've made when it comes to vintage computing. I suppose I could buy the parts I need separately, case, Mother board, memory, processor etc. But then I might as well just pay for one of those over inflated prices some sellers on E-Bay are asking. So, I'm holding my breath, and just hoping to get a decent price that I can start budgeting for.

Good memory shadow Lord.

The hardest part I found (I built my own, but did not save a bundle) was really finding the case + PSU. The 5170 motherboard is enormous.
So if you don't buy 'all as one' - I'd recommend securing a case before investing money in other parts.

The hardest part I found (I built my own, but did not save a bundle) was really finding the case + PSU. The 5170 motherboard is enormous.
So if you don't buy 'all as one' - I'd recommend securing a case before investing money in other parts.

That was my point. I don't want to build from scratch. I would much rather buy a computer, working or not, in which I can either repair, or put into service right away, but may need upgrades. Building will be the last resort.

Check with me if you end up with a unit that needs a floppy drive (I have a few) and some MFM HDDs with controllers and cables (I have about 4 or 5 sets). I probably have others bits and pieces too now that I come to think of it, so just hit me up if you need anything and I can check my collection.

Back