• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Increasing memory in a Gateway 2000 486 problem

Billyray

Experienced Member
My Gateway 2000 which has the Anigma mobo is capable of 128 MB in 4 32 MB SIMM slots. With 3 slots filled I have 96 MB and have parity on. Everything functions perfectly. But when I put the 4th simm in, I have to change the parity to off and the BIOS reads all 128 MB. However Windows 95b no longer can boot up, but gives a message like "invalid vxd dynamic link call to device #3 service B. If I try to go into Safe Mode, it fails and says: "Himem.sys has detected unreliable XMS memory at address 04000006. XMS driver not installed. BTW, the 4th memory card matches the other 3 already inside. Any ideas? :?

Do you have access to a smaller ram stick to test? It is possible that either the slot doesn't work or it wasn't hooked up to handle the full amount of memory. Do you get different errors if you swap the SIMM positions? Same address, bad slot; different address, you have a bad SIMM.

Double check you have the correct amount of tag ram for the cache to handle the full address space.

RAM could be defective (not passing parity check is not good). Have you tried running all sticks individually to see if Win 95 acts correctly with each one?

Double check you have the correct amount of tag ram for the cache to handle the full address space.

That's an interesting idea. I have 128k of L2 cache, but it can be expanded to 256k. I wonder if I need to do that? I WAS thinking of expanding it anyway if I could figure out what timing the chip would need to be (28 pin DIP SRAM)

@Unknown_K - good idea. I'll have to check on that too.

Back