• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba t3100 errors

When I get controller error it says press f1 For system disk or f2 for bios setup. But I still gotta wait for my 40mb drive arrive. I only have a 20 GB hard drive that probably wont work. But I bought this 40mb one

Last edited:
Those files are also on toshiba website. I burned a msdos 6 diskette as iit still asks for system disk when controller fails. I must burn a Toshiba dos floppy instead of msdos as its the Toshiba system disk? Where can Toshiba dos be found? And what about test 3 and chad? I only need to burn it on a floppy and when asks for system disk put it on? Remember I get controller disk error, gotta wait for my new hard drive, so can't execute test3 from msodos. BTW, my new HD will ship with msdod 6, will Toshiba boot it as its not thoshiba dos?

Those files are also on toshiba website. I burned a msdos 6 diskette as iit still asks for system disk when controller fails. I must burn a Toshiba dos floppy instead of msdos as its the Toshiba system disk? Where can Toshiba dos be found? And what about test 3 and chad? I only need to burn it on a floppy and when asks for system disk put it on? Remember I get controller disk error, gotta wait for my new hard drive, so can't execute test3 from msodos. BTW, my new HD will ship with msdod 6, will Toshiba boot it as its not thoshiba dos?

Toshiba DOS is normal MS DOS with a a couple of utilities thrown in. You don't need Toshiba DOS.
You can copy TEST3 on to a floppy disk and run it under MS DOS if you needed to.

Toshiba DOS is normal MS DOS with a a couple of utilities thrown in. You don't need Toshiba DOS.
You can copy TEST3 on to a floppy disk and run it under MS DOS if you needed to.
Yeah, especially if you want to run DOS >4.x, which is what the latest T3100e came with AFAIK. Other than Chad and Test3 I don't know what other differences there are between generic MS-DOS and the corresponding Toshiba version; maybe an obscure keyboard or display driver?

Like I said, I'm running MS-DOS 6.22 with an 80MB hard disk, memory expanded to 5MB, and either an internal ISA modem or an 8-bit I/O card, with no issues whatsoever. A nice machine for old-time hardware-level stuff: one-piece, portable, two serial and one parallel ports, great display and a nice keyboard; external RGB and auxiliary keyboard connectors, and I have to finish building that external 5.25" drive one of these days...

Last edited:
Thank you! Well i doewnloaded a msdos 4 from Toshiba, then 4 version. I can't boot msdos since HD is broken, so the laptop asks me to floppy system. I garb my msdos 4 floppy and for some reason what so ever it tries to load but says non system disk, or drive error please insert another floppy. That seems weird since the floppy works. Will msdos 6 run on a 1 mb machine?

Did you write a bootable disk image? (as apposed to just copying files on to the floppy).

MS DOS 6 will run run on almost any IBM PC or compatible. By default, it wont see any RAM above 640KB anyway.

I downloaded an image and used a program, next I booted it on an ordinary PC and booted, but as it's a modern one I'm not sure. Next I used the floppy on the Toshiba and said those words. Just for being sure, how do I need to burn the floppy image?

Last edited:
Well replaved hard drive, replaced CMOS battery and still got the same error, bit at this time in portuguese (msdos language installed on my hdd) cantora find system replace and read enter. When using FDD it gime that error in English if anyone has any idea I will be glad

Addition, it only works when 20 mb is set on bios. The HDD is 40
What do you mean, "It works"? We need a little more detail.
Did you prepare the hard disk? How, if you can't boot from the floppy?

Did you say that you have another computer that boots correctly from the floppy disk?

I mean that when I set to 20mb I won't get HD controller failure. but when passes memory test it said no system disk or drive error please replace it and try again (in Portuguese which is the msdos language installed in this hard drive)

Well I have a computer that boots the floppy into this same floppy I'm using. But I keep getting this error in Toshiba.

How can I prepare the hard disk? Maybe I missed smth. Msdos 5 is installed and hard disk is jumped as slave.

Floppy gets the same error as the hard drive no system disk or drive error please replace it and try again( this time in English )

Sorry forgot to tell you this, the msdos was installed in another computer, and the floppy 2.
Is the problem in bios? Or a bad component in motherboard?
Is there another way of installing msdos in another system then bringing it back to my Toshiba?
At least the floppy should work
. Don't think replacing will help.
How do you burn system images in windows xp ? I used win image app. My spare PC in which I burned the floppy is a windows do machine.

Back